Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-12-2013, 05:35 PM

9,067 posts, read 15,832,554 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by London_knowledge View Post
I never said deaths werent devastating whether its 1 or 100 someone has lost a loved one, this wasnt my point. Please don't put words in my mouth again.
It matters to me when deciding to relocate, I will always pick a place thats natural disasters are likely to cause 1 death rather than a place where 3000 would be the result. Its called being sensible and valuing your life.
If you were so "sensible" and you value your life,why would you move from a country that is so much safer to a country where crime in most cities is double or more?

Sounds more and more like delusional thinking to me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2013, 07:06 PM

1,535 posts, read 2,380,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Come on over and enjoy living in Texas! It's a great place to make your home! You'll find that people are very welcoming.
You and he make me vomit....This thread is a joke....**** already...Jesus, Mary and Joseph...

Old 11-12-2013, 08:26 PM

67,650 posts, read 61,226,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigstick View Post
You and he make me vomit....This thread is a joke....**** already...Jesus, Mary and Joseph...

Wow, such hostility!

Go take some Pepto Bismol and calm your arse down. Sheeze! Lighten up already!

Old 11-12-2013, 11:53 PM

89 posts, read 97,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post
If you were so "sensible" and you value your life,why would you move from a country that is so much safer to a country where crime in most cities is double or more?

Sounds more and more like delusional thinking to me.
Quality of life,cost of living, climate. Are some reasons.
London is not really safe by the way. Crime is on the rise due to our relaxed immigration laws. Usa is the better country in my opinion. Alot of great cities. Just not a 9 scale earthquake zone lol or atlanta.

Old 11-13-2013, 12:04 AM

37,307 posts, read 39,665,364 times
Quote:
Incorrect. I just checked the fbi link posted earlier. Violent crime is higher percentage in atlanta than houston.

Houston 2,143,628 population 20, 892 violent crime thats about 0.9%
Atlanta 425, 533 population 6097 violent crime thats 1.4 %

Also the metro areas are lower. Marietta is higher than galveston and baytown . Sandy springs is higher than sugar land.
So please don't talk rubbish.
Are we actually looking at the same thing here?

The table explicitly tells you the violent crime per capita for the metro areas.

Violent crime rate per 100,000 inhabitants (meaning, per capita):
Atlanta MSA: 400.9
Charlotte MSA: 428.1
Dallas MSA: 358.4
Houston MSA: 550.8
Tampa MSA: 435.2

It's the actual stats compiled by the FBI. You're taking specific parts of each MSA and trying to compare them, but without any realization of how the metro is actually structured. Houston, the city proper, has massive political boundaries which take in large amounts of generally less dangerous suburbs to mitigate the stats from the generally more dangerous inner city neighborhoods (hence the 2.1 million population) while Atlanta city proper (with 0.4 million population) includes mostly the inner city neighborhoods and relatively little of the less dangerous suburbs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
United States cities by crime rate - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Cities ranked by violent crime PER CAPITA.

There - no one has to actually do math to understand this table.
Obviously you will have to understand something about math because in order to actually interpret those numbers, you need to understand what goes into those numbers.

I don't understand why people are so terrible at these basic concepts. I think basic statistical analysis and the ability to actually interpret numbers like these needs to be learned before graduating high school, but there seems to be such little emphasis on things like this in general. Is this something that's just common in Anglophone countries?

Last edited by OyCrumbler; 11-13-2013 at 12:14 AM..

Old 11-13-2013, 01:18 AM

12,059 posts, read 13,937,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
I feel like Atlanta is criticized for being a Black-run city, and for being seen as a Black-mecca. People automatically think Atlanta is a ghetto city. Atlanta is a SUCCESSFULLY run, predominantly Black city, with a long history of Black mayors(male and female). People can't comprehend this. A city with a middle-class Black population, good jobs, good economy, growth, and opportunity, that is run by Blacks. So than folks use code terms like "Hip-Hop City". NYC is a Hip-Hop city, as is LA, Detroit, Chicago, Miami, New Orleans, Oakland, Houston, and now thanks to Macklemore, so is Seattle.
My 12 year old son agrees. However, Sir Mix a Lot was based in Seattle/Tacoma area as well, so there is a hip hop history in Seattle, even though there is a paltry black population there...

Old 11-13-2013, 01:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigstick View Post
I have lived in Dallas AS WELL, AND IT IS AN INFERNO. Atlanta only got above 90 4 times this summer, 92 was the highest.
Dallas will be above 90 for about 120-150 days and above 100 for at least 30 of those.

Atlanta will be above 90 for about 10 days and above 100 for 0 of those.

Atlanta cools off at night due to elevation, Dallas doesn't.

Atlanta is COLD in the winter, but so is Dallas.

Tampa was really the only city in the OP's original list that has "mild winters". Houston should have been on the list as well since Tampa was eliminated.

Atlanta has already been ruled out by the OP, for whatever reason (good or bad), so let's focus on Dallas vs. Houston, which was mentioned.

Old 11-13-2013, 02:28 AM

Quote:
Why would you not consider a high risk earthquake zone before you moved somewhere new? Are you a moron or something who doesn't think about these things?
Tornadoes you get warnings about and dallas hasnt really been hit by major ones despite being in tornado alley it hasnt had any catastrophic ones like many other cities. San fran is due a huge 8 or 9 quake and you will have no warning

For the past 5 years Dallas has seen quite severe weather each year, from snowstorms that shut the city down (during the Superbowl), to severe thunderstorm outbreaks that caused many people to lose their roofs, to extreme drought and flooding.

The weather in Austin or Houston is far more stable. Houston has a risk of hurricanes but they are infrequent, Austin has a relatively benign weather pattern, barring drought conditions but they have finally eased up.

Not moving to CA because of earthquakes is silly. Almost all buildings are earthquake proof and I lived there for several years and never experienced a quake.

It seems safety is utmost to you (cities free from crime and natural disasters), and your choice of Dallas in tornado alley seems odd. Did I tell you that the bathrooms of most buildings in Dallas double as tornado shelters and are made of solid stone?

Old 11-13-2013, 02:56 AM

89 posts, read 97,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Are we actually looking at the same thing here?

The table explicitly tells you the violent crime per capita for the metro areas.

Violent crime rate per 100,000 inhabitants (meaning, per capita):
Atlanta MSA: 400.9
Charlotte MSA: 428.1
Dallas MSA: 358.4
Houston MSA: 550.8
Tampa MSA: 435.2

It's the actual stats compiled by the FBI. You're taking specific parts of each MSA and trying to compare them, but without any realization of how the metro is actually structured. Houston, the city proper, has massive political boundaries which take in large amounts of generally less dangerous suburbs to mitigate the stats from the generally more dangerous inner city neighborhoods (hence the 2.1 million population) while Atlanta city proper (with 0.4 million population) includes mostly the inner city neighborhoods and relatively little of the less dangerous suburbs.

Obviously you will have to understand something about math because in order to actually interpret those numbers, you need to understand what goes into those numbers.

I don't understand why people are so terrible at these basic concepts. I think basic statistical analysis and the ability to actually interpret numbers like these needs to be learned before graduating high school, but there seems to be such little emphasis on things like this in general. Is this something that's just common in Anglophone countries?
Yes we are looking at the same thing. Please divide the number of violent crimes in atlanta by its population. Then please repeat excercise for houston. You will see Atlanta is higher I don't understand why you cant do this simple maths procedure.

And I didnt say moving to CA as a state. I specifically said san fran which is due a huge 8 or 9 quake. Despite the buildings been "earthquake proof" there will still be disasters and large death tolls. So yes in my opinion not taking this into consideration before moving there is extremely stupid. Obviously people who want to move there it's there choice, many others would be put off by it though.

Old 11-13-2013, 04:02 AM

9,067 posts, read 15,832,554 times
Quote:
Quality of life,cost of living, climate. Are some reasons.
London is not really safe by the way. Crime is on the rise due to our relaxed immigration laws. Usa is the better country in my opinion. Alot of great cities. Just not a 9 scale earthquake zone lol or atlanta.
Funny how I did not even mention Atlanta but you did.Then you have people on here you are blind that you are the OP bringing it up.

Crime is on the rise in Dallas also.Its already higher than any city in England.Just admit it.You just don't make any sense.One breath you say crime is a major issue for you even though you are moving to the most violent nation in the Western Hemisphere.
Its only an issue in Atlanta but not anywhere else?How is that even logical?

Anyway back to your other choice.

http://www.dallasnews.com/news/crime...-robberies.ece

http://www.dallasnews.com/news/crime...-this-year.ece

I think you should move to Salt Lake City.Its clean ,safe ,has great schools and the economy is good.
No earthquakes,Tornados,Hurricanes,Typhoons,sinkholes ,mudslides,etc..Totally safe as one can be!

Who says I can't be helpful?!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City