Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city is more cultural and iconic?
New York City 64 83.12%
Los Angeles 13 16.88%
Voters: 77. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2013, 12:52 PM

1,612 posts, read 2,421,698 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by munchitup View Post
Malibu is at the base of the Santa Monica Mountains, so not sure what you are talking about with that one.
That's my whole point. The Santa Monica Mountains aren't a major mountain range, especially for the West. Heck, there are similarly sized mountains relatively close to NYC (you can even see Manhattan from some).

In any case, anywhere wealthy on the Westside of LA is pretty much just as convenient for the same mountains.
Quote:
But other than that, yeah I would much rather live in Palisades, Santa Monica, Venice, Marina or the South Bay than Malibu.
I would also take all those areas over Malibu, unless I was getting around by helicopter or something. The PCH from SM to Malibu is a very congested drive.

Old 11-01-2013, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Illusive Man View Post
Exactly, who cares. They are nice set pieces to look at momentarily, but then what? Ok, let's drive on a bridge, snap a few pics. Cool.

I would much rather go for a long hike or hang out at the beach with lovely weather.
Ok, I guess, but you realize you can do that all over the world, right? You can do it in Brooklyn, you can do it all over the place, worldwide.

Walking, sitting on sand, and seeing the sun, aren't exactly rare things. The Eifel Tower is. That's why the Eifel Tower is famous, and some random town with sand and the sun isn't.

Old 11-01-2013, 12:54 PM

10,078 posts, read 15,858,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichiVegas View Post
That's my whole point. The Santa Monica Mountains aren't a major mountain range, especially for the West. Heck, there are similarly sized mountains relatively close to NYC (you can even see Manhattan from some).

In any case, anywhere wealthy on the Westside of LA is pretty much just as convenient for the same mountains.

I would also take all those areas over Malibu, unless I was getting around by helicopter or something. The PCH from SM to Malibu is a very congested drive.
Oh okay, makes sense.

Old 11-01-2013, 01:07 PM

36,659 posts, read 67,526,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichiVegas View Post
No, actually no backtracking.

No, I didn't introduce "groups in the conversation". You made that up.
No, you introduced both groups, 'hipsters' AND 'teenagers' into the conversation:

"Apparently you're unaware that Brooklyn is one of the most iconic places on the planet, and is specifically a metaphor for alternative/youth culture, and the whole "hipster" scene."-MichiVegas

"No, Brooklyn is known by virtually everyone, and Malibu is known by a few teenagers in Italy who watch American TV. Or it's the Dodge Malibu that's being referenced"-MichiVegas

So it was YOU who introduced these 2 demographic groups into the conversation ADMITTING that Malibu was indeed bigger to teenagers.

And I wholeheartedly agree.

Brooklyn might be known to Hipsters in all the intenational cities you mentioned-sure why not.

But Malibu is known not only by Hipsters but also to Teenagers by probably a very sizeable margin.

That is the point that neither you nor anyone else has been able to refute without coming off overly emotional.

Quote:
I have no idea what you're talking about
This has less to do with what I'm saying and more to do with denial on your part-quite frankly.

Quote:
but Brooklyn is 100x more famous to hipsters, teenagers, grandmas, fisherman, chimney sweepers, mall santa clauses, ramen noodle chefs, outback poachers, bigfoot hunters, etc. It's more famous to almost everyone. It's one of the most iconic parts of the world's most iconic city.
Except there really is no rhyme or reason behind the assumption that Brooklyn is 100x more famous to everyone? That doesn't even make sense.

Quote:
If you say so, but this has nothing to do the relative name recognition of Brooklyn or Malibu.
ICON: a person or thing[or place] regarded as a representative symbol of something.

Brooklyn doesn't represent more to most people around the world than Malibu. Like I said, why should it?

Quote:
Which is a stupid statement, of course. Malibu represents nothing to most.
And Brooklyn represents even less.

Old 11-01-2013, 01:31 PM

1,512 posts, read 2,364,817 times
I highly doubt that Malibu would be more iconic than Brooklyn. Seriously, from young to old, most people know about Brooklyn. The only time I've heard about Malibu is in "Malibu's Most Wanted".

Old 11-01-2013, 01:38 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,485,386 times
Quote:
I don't see what is so hard to believe that a place that has lent its name to multiple brands, as mentioned before, could possibly be more well-known than Brooklyn. I do think that the image people have when they hear "Brooklyn" is more defined than the image they have when they hear "Malibu". Personally I have no idea if internationally one is better known than the other, nor do I care all that much.
Except I don't think it counts for being well-known. Lots of people have heard of the name "Malibu" but what is it exactly? I don't think people know much about it other than the name.

Old 11-01-2013, 01:43 PM

281 posts, read 473,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
Except I don't think it counts for being well-known. Lots of people have heard of the name "Malibu" but what is it exactly? I don't think people know much about it other than the name.
So you delete multiple of my posts for "bickering", yet you let this shenanigans go on?

Old 11-01-2013, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
Yeah I agree with that. As I said before Brooklyn conjures up an image of gritty urban living, while Malibu generates more of a generic beach image. I would imagine when people think of Brooklyn it is closer to the reality of the borough than what they see when they think of Malibu.

Old 11-01-2013, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by disposable2 View Post
So you delete multiple of my posts for "bickering", yet you let this shenanigans go on?
It's probably more of a punishment to have that idiocy left up here for the public to see then to delete it.

Old 11-01-2013, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
No, you introduced both groups, 'hipsters' AND 'teenagers' into the conversation:

"Apparently you're unaware that Brooklyn is one of the most iconic places on the planet, and is specifically a metaphor for alternative/youth culture, and the whole "hipster" scene."-MichiVegas

"No, Brooklyn is known by virtually everyone, and Malibu is known by a few teenagers in Italy who watch American TV. Or it's the Dodge Malibu that's being referenced"-MichiVegas

So it was YOU who introduced these 2 demographic groups into the conversation ADMITTING that Malibu was indeed bigger to teenagers.

And I wholeheartedly agree.
You realize you just made a fool of yourself, right?

The quotes you highlight totally contradict your claims. Nowhere did I say "Malibu is more popular than Brooklyn for teenagers" and no where did I say "Brooklyn is only popular with hipsters".
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
Brooklyn might be known to Hipsters in all the intenational cities you mentioned-sure why not.

But Malibu is known not only by Hipsters but also to Teenagers by probably a very sizeable margin.

That is the point that neither you nor anyone else has been able to refute without coming off overly emotional.
Brooklyn is one of the most iconic places in the most iconic city on earth. Malibu is a vague beach and car reference. So, no.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City