Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city is more cultural and iconic?
New York City 64 83.12%
Los Angeles 13 16.88%
Voters: 77. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2013, 04:25 PM

4,156 posts, read 5,561,445 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichiVegas View Post
I'd say the responses to the statement are even more revealing. It's a mall, folks.
The Farmer's Market predates the very conception of "stip mall" by many decades. Regardless, I don't care how you characterize the place. It is an icon, making it germane to the topic.

Old 11-01-2013, 04:32 PM

10,078 posts, read 15,853,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
The east side closer to downtown gets pretty sketchy.
Can you provide an intersection?

I guess compared to north of Sunset the east side of BH is "sketchy". But no one in the right mind would call any areas of Beverly Hills truly sketchy. Less desirable, sure. But sketchy? Not so much.

Old 11-01-2013, 04:40 PM

1,612 posts, read 2,420,781 times
Yeah, nothing in BH is really sketchy. Much less desirable, and kind of generic, yes.

There are some areas on the Westside close to BH that are arguably semi-sketchy, but not BH proper.

Old 11-01-2013, 07:24 PM

36,655 posts, read 67,506,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichiVegas View Post
No, you just made that up. Brooklyn is better known by everyone.
Nope, you already conceded that Brooklyn is better known to hipsters on Berlin, which is 100% correct.

Quote:
No, Brooklyn and NYC are known by all, and Malibu known by few.
New York is known by most, Brooklyn is far less known because it''s image is largely unintetesting to demographic groups that dominate the attention of media outlets, quite frankly.

Malibu's image is far easier for the average person to describe.

Quote:
No, none of these places are known as distinct places, and Hollywood and Beverly Hills are much better known than Malibu.
Yes, they all have distinct, powerful images that are far more relevant to most people than Brooklyn which ismuch less known.

Brooklyn peaked in importance and noteriety prior to WW2 and then steadily declined in importance for about 50 years, during which Hollywood and Beverly Hills far surpassed Brooklyn and other depressed urban areas as far as international noteriety.

I agree that Malibu is less known than the others, but the mental image of Malibu is still more clear cut and precise.

Ask a stranger abroad to describe Malibu and beaches, celebrities and wealth are very likely top responses.

Ask a stranger abroad to describe Brooklyn and most likely you'll get a blank stare.

Old 11-01-2013, 09:33 PM

146 posts, read 189,432 times
Not sure what exactly people mean by iconic, but I do like LA much more.
Yes NYC has lot if symbols like Wall St, Statue of Liberty etc. but those are all negative symbols to me: Wall St - a bunch of greedy morons making billions out of fresh air by sucking blood out of working class, the statue of liberty - meaningless and tasteless, freedom from what and for whom, and why so ugly??
Outside of Manhattan which is built for super rich by super rich NYC is a stinking dump.
You want to get a feel of real NYC - take a trip in its subway full of rats and homeless.

NYC does have a great opera, but just because non-american talents sing there. Outside of Metropolitan museums suck there. Good restaurants are hard to come by and super expensive.

LA all the way!

Old 11-01-2013, 11:28 PM

9,169 posts, read 13,244,033 times
Well now, I think this thread has just about hit rock bottom.

Old 11-02-2013, 08:33 AM

2,908 posts, read 3,872,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
Actually even if thats the thrust of what most people around the world know about Malibu, that's more than what most people around the world know about Brooklyn.

Malibu is on tv around the world, Malibu is often referred to in entertainment related news and media programs around the world.

By contrast, there isnt even a reason for Brookyn to be mentioned the same way, is there?
Wow, you can't fix stupid.

Old 11-02-2013, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theS5 View Post
Wow, you can't fix stupid.
There is apparently no remedy for denial either.

I'll pray for u all.

Old 11-02-2013, 08:59 AM

2,545 posts, read 3,297,217 times
I cannot believe that people have spent 10 pages debating some nut job whether a beach suburb of LA whose biggest claim to fame is that a crappy car was named after it is more renowned than one of the most iconic urban brands in the western world with an almost 400 year history. Only on City Data.

Old 11-02-2013, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitzrovian View Post
I cannot believe that people have spent 10 pages debating some nut job whether a beach suburb of LA whose biggest claim to fame is that a crappy car was named after it is more renowned than one of the most iconic urban brands in the western world with an almost 400 year history. Only on City Data.
LOL@ the delusion that Brooklyn is one of the most iconic urban brands in the world.

Perhaps to the Northeastern US, but no one abroad, where they have urban areas that thrash Brooklyn look to Brooklyn as iconiic when it comes to being urban. Why would they when Manhattan is the only borough people care about.How laughable to even suggest such a preposterously delusional notion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City