Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Best rappers come from...
NYC 44 38.94%
LA 11 9.73%
Chicago 3 2.65%
Atlanta 21 18.58%
SF-Bay Area 6 5.31%
Houston 8 7.08%
Memphis 3 2.65%
St. Louis 3 2.65%
New Orleans 2 1.77%
Other (Please Specify) 12 10.62%
Voters: 113. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2013, 03:27 PM

6,208 posts, read 9,206,627 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SawBoi View Post
Variety would bring Hip Hop back. Back in the day NWA sounded nothing like 2 live Crew. Kid n' Play sounded nothing like Public Enemy. There was party rap, concious rap, gangster rap and strip club rap. I don't think Wayne or 2 Chainz suck. I do think that East Coast rappers need to bring those Wu- Tang styles back.
This! I agree with the entirety of this post.

Btw, I used to not care much for 2 Chainz but I've come to accept who he really is. And that's a strip club/party rapper. I do like his flow and some of his songs and guest appearance verses be catchy too (I love "I'm Different" ) and I was cool with Lil Wayne until recently....I liked most of his albums but I don't really care for I'm Not A Human Being Part II and then there was that incident with the American flag during one of his music video shootings in New Orleans....Talk about bad timing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2013, 03:34 PM

5,281 posts, read 6,586,260 times
I think this group is the original Detroit rap act

Felix and Jarvis 1983 - YouTube

Old 11-02-2013, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Variety would bring Hip Hop back. Back in the day NWA sounded nothing like 2 live Crew. Kid n' Play sounded nothing like Public Enemy. There was party rap, concious rap, gangster rap and strip club rap. I don't think Wayne or 2 Chainz suck. I do think that East Coast rappers need to bring those Wu-Tang styles back.
This is for my generation

Party/Club/Strip Club Rap
Drake
Future
2 Chainz
Yo Gotti
YG
Nicki Minaj
Iggy Azalea
Rick Ross
Meek Mill
MGK
Roscoe Dash
Cali Swag District
Lil Wayne
Jeezy (He no longer uses the "Young" moniker in his stage name)
A$AP Rocky
A$AP Ferg
Waka Flocka Flame
Gucci Mane
T.I.
Soulja Boy
Ace Hood
Big Sean
Wiz Khalifa
Travis Porter
Lola Monroe
French Montana
J. Cole
Wale
Kirko Bangz
Tyga
Kid Ink

Conscious Rap
Kendrick Lamar
Ab-Soul
Jay Rock
SchoolBoy Q
Wale
Phil Ade
Logic
Chance The Rapper
Joey Bada$$
Pro Era
Odd Future (They're a weird type of "Conscious" though lol)
Big K.R.I.T.
Yelawolf
Children of the Night
The Underachievers
Flatbush Zombies
Dom Kennedy
Hopsin
Lupe Fiasco
Action Bronson
A$AP Rocky (He has his days)
Stalley
B.o.B.
Pusha T (Solo career only)
J. Cole

Gangsta Rap
Jeezy
Fat Trel
Shy Glizzy
Rick Ross
Nipsey Hussle
Chief Keef

If I missed anyone in any of the listed categories, just name them.

Old 11-02-2013, 04:14 PM

20,514 posts, read 33,519,512 times
BTW, the constant disrespect of Chicago got to stop. You all judging this city off of the drill scene needs a reality check.

Old 11-02-2013, 04:42 PM

320 posts, read 578,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcave360 View Post
This is for my generation

Party/Club/Strip Club Rap
Drake
Future
2 Chainz
Yo Gotti
YG
Nicki Minaj
Iggy Azalea
Rick Ross
Meek Mill
MGK
Roscoe Dash
Cali Swag District
Lil Wayne
Jeezy (He no longer uses the "Young" moniker in his stage name)
A$AP Rocky
A$AP Ferg
Waka Flocka Flame
Gucci Mane
T.I.
Soulja Boy
Ace Hood
Big Sean
Wiz Khalifa
Travis Porter
Lola Monroe
French Montana
J. Cole
Wale
Kirko Bangz
Tyga
Kid Ink

Conscious Rap
Kendrick Lamar
Ab-Soul
Jay Rock
SchoolBoy Q
Wale
Phil Ade
Logic
Chance The Rapper
Joey Bada$$
Pro Era
Odd Future (They're a weird type of "Conscious" though lol)
Big K.R.I.T.
Yelawolf
Children of the Night
The Underachievers
Flatbush Zombies
Dom Kennedy
Hopsin
Lupe Fiasco
Action Bronson
A$AP Rocky (He has his days)
Stalley
B.o.B.
Pusha T (Solo career only)
J. Cole

Gangsta Rap
Jeezy
Fat Trel
Shy Glizzy
Rick Ross
Nipsey Hussle
Chief Keef

If I missed anyone in any of the listed categories, just name them.

Yup. The underground Hip Hop scenes in many cities are also full of talent. I also forgot to mention the battle rappers.

Old 11-02-2013, 04:57 PM

320 posts, read 578,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
BTW, the constant disrespect of Chicago got to stop. You all judging this city off of the drill scene needs a reality check.

I don't think that Chicago's drill music is a part of true Chicago Hip Hop. Drill music is copy pasted Trap/ Crunk. Need more Common, Twista, and Lupe Fiasco lyrical styles from Chicago's new generation.

Old 11-02-2013, 05:21 PM

3,645 posts, read 8,308,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
I don't get it. Some of these folks might have amnesia or something lol.

They even went as far as disrespecting the city too...

Old 11-02-2013, 05:25 PM

3,645 posts, read 8,308,704 times
Quote:
I don't think that Chicago's drill music is a part of true Chicago Hip Hop. Drill music is copy pasted Trap/ Crunk. Need more Common, Twista, and Lupe Fiasco lyrical styles from Chicago's new generation.
chicago has been making what is now called 'drill music' since the early to mid 90's.

CHief keef and lil durk and the other cats aren't doing anything groundbreaking TBH. The only difference between then and now is that the younger generation is more influenced by southern music and they openly (sometimes subliminally) disrespect other gangs.

Old 11-02-2013, 07:27 PM

349 posts, read 572,846 times
Chicago has always been odd in Hip Hop. Black people in Chicago can be pretty country, but live in a city that can resemble NY at times, yet has a gang-banging history going further back than LA. So you get a real crazy variety of different styles of Hip-Hop. Chi-Town's always had a relationship with the South way before the South took off. Do or Die, Psychodrama and Da Snypaz were all signed to Suave House, so Chicago had a relationship with H-Town in the 90's. "Pocket Full of Stones" was big in Chicago around the time it came out. And who can forget Crucial Conflict:

People today still think they're a group from the South. The point is that Chicago rappers (and Bone Thugs) have been rapping over that tempo (70/140 bpm) for decades. You can take acapellas from those old songs and they'd fit right on today's Trap songs effortlessly.

Add some sound effects like "hey", throw in a thundering 808 basseline, that played out spaceship sound and you'd have a hit, except Twista's verse from 96 would still kill 90% of rappers today.

Old 11-02-2013, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goonsta View Post
Chicago has always been odd in Hip Hop. Black people in Chicago can be pretty country, but live in a city that can resemble NY at times, yet has a gang-banging history going further back than LA. So you get a real crazy variety of different styles of Hip-Hop. Chi-Town's always had a relationship with the South way before the South took off. Do or Die, Psychodrama and Da Snypaz were all signed to Suave House, so Chicago had a relationship with H-Town in the 90's. "Pocket Full of Stones" was big in Chicago around the time it came out. And who can forget Crucial Conflict:

People today still think they're a group from the South. The point is that Chicago rappers (and Bone Thugs) have been rapping over that tempo (70/140 bpm) for decades. You can take acapellas from those old songs and they'd fit right on today's Trap songs effortlessly.

Add some sound effects like "hey", throw in a thundering 808 basseline, that played out spaceship sound and you'd have a hit, except Twista's verse from 96 would still kill 90% of rappers today.
Oh damn, these two sound like they could fit in well in the current roster of Trap/Southern Hip Hop Especially the Do or Die joint! And the beats too! They sound like they have a bit of a funk (Of course, I am starting to hear a flavor of funk in some of the songs of my generation's rap artists) undertone but they could still fit in good today!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City