Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-03-2013, 09:49 AM

1,196 posts, read 2,529,363 times

Advertisements

People have said that although these two cities aren't "southern", the black people are. But which city has a stronger southern influence amongst its black residents? I know many would say that southern and country aren't the same thing but to me it somewhat is because all southern people to me are country no matter what city they live in but in the northeast, west, and midwest its just simply "country".

Old 11-03-2013, 09:55 AM

654 posts, read 1,909,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahatma X View Post
People have said that although these two cities aren't "southern", the black people are. But which city has a stronger southern influence amongst its black residents? I know many would say that southern and country aren't the same thing but to me it somewhat is because all southern people to me are country no matter what city they live in but in the northeast, west, and midwest its just simply "country".
You would be wrong.

Old 11-03-2013, 10:04 AM

1,196 posts, read 2,529,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marat View Post
You would be wrong.
How? Atlanta, GA and Tupelo, MS are both just as country to me. However this is just my own personal opinion and not a fact. Southern major cities just don't come off as "city-slicker" to me. When I think of the city I think of NYC, Philly, Boston, Baltimore, DC, Chicago, San Fran, LA, Seattle. Houston, Dallas, ATL, NoLa, Memphis, Jacksonville, Tampa, Baton Rogue, Birmingham, Richmond, etc just all come off as extremely country to me. The way of life, the accents, the mindset, the way people dress, the way people walk, the spread out built environment, etc just screams country to me and I just don't see the different between living in a southern major city and the rural south. Some will argue that this statement is incorrect because a city like ATL welcomes gays, blacks, leans liberal, and so much and so forth but that doesn't mean that ATL isn't still "country".

Hell even living in cities like Pittsburgh, Buffalo, Rochester, Syracuse, Reading, etc just different than living in rural parts of PA and NY.

Old 11-03-2013, 02:30 PM

1,535 posts, read 2,372,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahatma X View Post
How? Atlanta, GA and Tupelo, MS are both just as country to me. However this is just my own personal opinion and not a fact. Southern major cities just don't come off as "city-slicker" to me. When I think of the city I think of NYC, Philly, Boston, Baltimore, DC, Chicago, San Fran, LA, Seattle. Houston, Dallas, ATL, NoLa, Memphis, Jacksonville, Tampa, Baton Rogue, Birmingham, Richmond, etc just all come off as extremely country to me. The way of life, the accents, the mindset, the way people dress, the way people walk, the spread out built environment, etc just screams country to me and I just don't see the different between living in a southern major city and the rural south. Some will argue that this statement is incorrect because a city like ATL welcomes gays, blacks, leans liberal, and so much and so forth but that doesn't mean that ATL isn't still "country".

Hell even living in cities like Pittsburgh, Buffalo, Rochester, Syracuse, Reading, etc just different than living in rural parts of PA and NY.

This wins for the most IGNORANT post of the year, congratulations.

Old 11-03-2013, 03:01 PM

20,515 posts, read 33,531,365 times
Qualifier here. There's nothing wrong with being country.

Now with that said, what is country mahatma and what is Southern?

Old 11-03-2013, 03:07 PM

6,208 posts, read 9,210,165 times
Don't listen to this Lame. He just have a big chip on his shoulder because DC doesn't might his "expectations" of being a "real city" like New York or whateva Disgraceful. Plus, he lives up in Baltimore now so there goes another explanation. Don't know what's his beef with Chicago though Now, let him go on about his usual, sad tell-tale rants about DC's urban form and residents and PG County and blah blah blah This thread was "interesting" before the mods came in and delete it like his other blasphemous thread about "DC is Country" and crap. Goodbye nephew

Old 11-04-2013, 08:21 AM

5,347 posts, read 10,157,846 times
Neither city is country as Baltimore!

#closethread!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City