Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-23-2014, 08:18 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,535,266 times

Advertisements

I have never been to any ski resorts there but the local NY stations put ski reports and Killington is always listed. I had never heard of it before.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2014, 08:22 PM

1,612 posts, read 2,424,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HC1980 View Post
The point went completely over your head..
Feel free to explain your point, then. You claimed that Vermont wasn't NY-area vacationland, so very interested in hearing about the hordes of Dallas residents skiing at Stowe and Sugarbush.

Old 02-23-2014, 08:32 PM

314 posts, read 423,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichiVegas View Post
Feel free to explain your point, then. You claimed that Vermont wasn't NY-area vacationland, so very interested in hearing about the hordes of Dallas residents skiing at Stowe and Sugarbush.
No YOU said that, Like most people on here you have comprehension issues. Many Chicagoans frequent the Wisconsin Dells for vacation, does that mean the locals in the Dells have the same mentality and move at the same pace as Chicagoans? What part don't you get? Ugh...

Last edited by HC1980; 02-23-2014 at 08:44 PM..

Old 02-23-2014, 09:07 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,545,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichiVegas View Post
Sure, many New Yorkers vacation in Vermont and there are some ex-New Yorkers there (artsy enclaves as you said), including a senator. But the bulk of the population isn't closely tied to NYC, nor do they remind me of New Yorkers in any way.

Still, there are commonalities between the Northeast and among the Midwest.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HC1980 View Post
No YOU said that, Like most people on here you have comprehension issues. Many Chicagoans frequent the Wisconsin Dells for vacation, does that mean the locals in the Dells have the same mentality and move at the same pace as Chicagoans? What part don't you get? Ugh...
There are slower-paced and more rural areas of every region, that doesn't mean that Chicago is somehow less Midwestern or Vermont less Northeastern.

Old 02-23-2014, 09:12 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,545,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
There is not a singular street in Chicago that feels European to me whatsoever, there are numerous ones in Philly though. Maybe a couple in NYC but not really, maybe if you keep your eyes at street level. Chicago is too modern and too new of a city, w/ too wide of streets.

The Gary Industrial area coming into Chicago most definitely reminds me of similar areas in Jersey though, complete with burning fire flames and all.
Couple? There are plenty where the difference isn't that big. Compare Brownstone Brooklyn with this London view:

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=Garfi...20.32,,0,-1.53

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=Hamps...,31.9,,0,-4.82

or cherrypicking a bit:

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=Hamps...333.8,,0,-2.19

the diagonal street parking on an urban residential street is a bit atypical for the US, though

London one has a narrower street, but otherwise they doesn't seem that far apart. Note the NYC one is slightly older.

Last edited by nei; 02-23-2014 at 09:26 PM..

Old 02-23-2014, 10:32 PM

15,323 posts, read 23,953,408 times
Quote:
But wait, somebody will say Chicago has Pizza also? No, it doesn't, nothing like NYC or the style served in Philly/NJ.
I somehow really question whether you actually live in Chicago, but then again you are no different than a typical transplant who never learns about anything and thinks they know everything about the city.

Deep dish isn't even the most popular type of pizza in Chicago. It's a special occasion pizza which people have a few times a year or they take their relatives to because everyone outside of the area thinks that Deep Dish is some amazing thing that residents just eat pounds and pounds of every year. Not really the case - some do, but most people actually eat more thin crust, and there's such a thing as Chicago style thin crust which existed long before deep dish ever got "popular" that is still more popular in reality than thin crust once you take away all the tourists. Hell, even the places which have deep dish like Giordano's offer just as much with thin crust. Even in my office when we get pizza for lunch, it's almost never deep dish. When we get deep dish, it's like 1 pizza versus 5 thin crust and the deep dish is only half eaten while everyone eats almost all of the thin crust.

People who think that the only pizza style that Chicago has is deep dish don't really know this city, or are probably transplants who have barely lived here long enough to start learning actual things about the city's history and other neighborhoods.

Last edited by marothisu; 02-23-2014 at 10:44 PM..

Old 02-23-2014, 10:39 PM

What are you talking about??? Chicago thin crust is absolutely nothing like NY style pizza. Are you really arguing that? Not sure why you are going off...

NEI > good pics, I was thinking something older in mind with less of a street at all really, I guess European is pretty broad.

Last edited by grapico; 02-23-2014 at 10:48 PM..

Old 02-23-2014, 10:45 PM

Quote:
What are you talking about??? Chicago thin crust is absolutely nothing like NY style pizza. Are you really arguing that?
Um, no. I was going off the fact that it seemed like you were saying that "Chicago doesn't have pizza." I'm pretty sure Chicago style thin crust is a hell of a lot more pizza than Deep dish is. Most people outside of the city, and even many in the city who are new to it, have no clue that there's a Chicago style thin crust that's more popular on average with actual residents than the well known deep dish.

I enjoy NY style pizza more than deep dish, for the record. Deep dish is OK but it's not even close to my favorite and the only time I have it is when it's either free, or one of my friends or relatives is in town and wants to try it. Most pizza to me though is the same. There's only so much you can do with it. Hell, even give me a good lahmacun over deep dish.

In the end, I'm sure I interpreted what you said incorrectly. If so, then sorry.

Old 02-23-2014, 10:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
Um, no. I was going off the fact that it seemed like you were saying that "Chicago doesn't have pizza." I'm pretty sure Chicago style thin crust is a hell of a lot more pizza than Deep dish is. Most people outside of the city, and even many in the city who are new to it, have no clue that there's a Chicago style thin crust that's more popular on average with actual residents than the well known deep dish.

I enjoy NY style pizza more than deep dish, for the record. Deep dish is OK but it's not even close to my favorite and the only time I have it is when it's either free, or one of my friends or relatives is in town and wants to try it. Most pizza to me though is the same. There's only so much you can do with it. Hell, even give me a good lahmacun over deep dish.

In the end, I'm sure I interpreted what you said incorrectly. If so, then sorry.
No I meant the styles even of the foods are distinct. Of course Chicago has a ton of pizza. But even the thin square cuts aren't going to be similar to typical NYC slice places. Also slice places in Chicago aren't near as numerous. Even Papa John's in NYC sells pizza by the slice for 1.00. I mean there are a few by the slice places in Chicago, Bacino's Downtown, Chicago Pizza, Bacci, Art of Pizza, JB Alberto's in Rogers Park, some place in UK Village, can't think of many other ones though. There is another one around Piece in Wicker Park, can't remember the name. Not sure where one would go to get a real "NY" slice though. I've never found a good Chicago deep dish (stuffed) place outside of Chicago except the Giordano's in Orlando, b/c the guy lives there, and Giordano's is definitely not my favorite.

Last edited by grapico; 02-23-2014 at 11:00 PM..

Old 02-23-2014, 11:07 PM

I agree - Chicago style is not NY style. You can get NY style in Chicago, luckily. Ever been to 5 Burroughs in Old Town? I have some NY friends who think it's the best NY style in town.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City