Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2014, 12:40 PM

2,549 posts, read 3,984,175 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
I'm talking about most of the development, I didn't say all of it. I'm not sure how looking at the majority of when a city is developed is cherrypicking. I didn't say there isn't older stuff, there's also almost no medieval buildings in London besides a few cathedrals, a couple of square miles of the city was laid in medieval times however.
Over the centuries London has buildings coming and going some lost to destruction due to wars or the fire of 1666. During the Middle Ages the London then of course does not look like the London of today but it does has some left over but not much. I'm sure some of the old buildings of Boston and Philly are gone as well but cities due change I guess. However, you could also go outside of London into other places around the UK that have very old houses, villages and castles dating back to the Middle Ages. I remember once seeing this very old strawed roof house dating that far back I couldn't believe it is still around but you never know what you'll run into over there. You now I hear some of the churches around Europe take a few hundred years to build. I can see why they are so massive and tall compared to what we have over here. The tall steeples with those clocks are pretty cool to see from a distance. However, I don't think they had the kind of cranes back then compared to today.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2014, 02:47 PM

4,823 posts, read 4,950,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nafster View Post
What is this? A high school class debate? Let's get our grammar and spelling correct before we boast about international mindsets shall we?

New York is top dog by far, but Chicago is a great international city, with a great Downtown.
Chicago is a great international city with a way too midwest mindset. Let's just keep your ''West Hollywood attitude'' in West Hollywood.

Old 03-02-2014, 07:06 AM

2,507 posts, read 3,385,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamms View Post
Hello??? Chicago thinks its international without the midwest mindset so get up off the floor.
You seem really ignorant of the Midwest. Chicago yes is a global city but very in touch with its region. And guess what...Detroit has the largest Arab population, Minneapolis the largest Somali population and St. Louis has the largest Bosnian population...the Midwest is hardly devoid of connections to other parts of the world.

Any Big 10 school city like Ann Arbor, Madison, Columbus, Bloomington, Champaign ...are extremely international as well. I really get puzzled by some people's understanding of the Midwest.

Old 03-02-2014, 10:07 AM

5,985 posts, read 13,137,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InvalidUsername View Post
What's with everyone trying to compare Philadelphia with cities that aren't in its league? Philadelphia resembles Manhattan due to certain commonalities, but at a broader level, Philadelphia is more of a micro-Manhattan than a mini-Manhattan. Scale is important when saying that one city resembles another. Sorry, but Philadelphia would fall flat on its face when compared to either of these heavyweights.
How?? Chicago is much more comparable to Philly than New York. So really, one SHOULD ask: Whats with everyone trying to compare Chicago to New York?

NYC city proper (1): 8.3 million people. 27,000 pp/sqmi

Chicago city proper (3): 2.7 million people. 11,800 pp/sqmi

Phildelphia city proper (5): 1.5 million people 11,300 pp/sq/mi

So in conclusion. NYC Just about exactly 3X as large. (Chicago is 1/3). Philly is 5/9 the size of Chicago. (Chicago just under 1 1/2 X as large).

NYC is about 2.5 times as densely populated as Chicago. While Chicago and Philly are basically the same.

Old 03-02-2014, 10:19 AM

2,217 posts, read 3,907,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex?Il? View Post
How?? Chicago is much more comparable to Philly than New York. So really, one SHOULD ask: Whats with everyone trying to compare Chicago to New York?

So in conclusion. NYC Just about exactly 3X as large. (Chicago is 1/3). Philly is 5/9 the size of Chicago. (Chicago just under 1 1/2 X as large).

NYC is about 2.5 times as densely populated as Chicago. While Chicago and Philly are basically the same.
Thanks for putting it in perspective. Chicago is closer to Philadelphia than it is to NYC level of density.

Old 03-02-2014, 10:20 AM

5,985 posts, read 13,137,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanCheetah View Post
Agreed. I think the same goes sometimes with Chicago. People say Chicago is totally midwest, which I disagree. To me Chicago is a mix of Midwest and East Coast in culture. People assume it because they visit neighborhoods like Lincoln Park and Lakeview that are made up of nothing but mostly midwest transplants and not so much native Chicagoans. So yes neighborhoods like Lincoln Park and Lakeview tend to be very midwestern. However, the majority of the neighborhoods imo aren't really just midwestern. Places like Pilsen, Logan Square, Avondale, Wicker Park, Irving Park, Roger's Park, Edgewater, Uptown, Ukranian Village, etc, have more of an East Coast vibe than Midwest, but overall they are hybrid of the two.
Just because they are immigrant heavy does't make them any more "east coast".

Does that mean, predominantly native born white neighborhoods in east coast cities feel midwestern?? Baltimore for example, has a rather low % of foreign born. Does that make it more midwestern?

What about other small heavy immigrant urban enclaves like Hamtramck, SW Detroit/Mexicantown, or East Dearborn in Detroit. Are these also more east coast like?

Is Toronto not Canadian feel because of its high foreign born population?

Besides, going along with your list, Wicker Park, and some extent Logan Square, etc. still have quite A LOT of midwestern small city transplants.

Old 03-02-2014, 11:02 AM

12,384 posts, read 28,535,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex?Il? View Post

That's only at a broad level and not considering other factors.

^^ There is nothing East Coast about Chicago at all. East Coast is not a code word for urban development.

Really their only similarities is they both have a very large CBD with skyscrapers that are head and shoulders above everywhere else, after that, their similarities quickly dissipate. Physically the skyscraper area of Chicago Loop/Near North combined approaches the size of Midtown but they are different at street level. Outside of the Chicago downtown there is a massive drop off in intense urban development and their skyline more seems to just come out of nowhere, this is not the case in Manhattan. Chicago simply doesn't have neighborhoods that look like this and run 120k ppsm over multiple square mile swaths.

Carl Schurz

Also the ultra dense area's of NYC are about 6-7x larger than Chicago. The city sizes of both bring it down and skew the data as they both contain fairly suburban areas in those limits. If you look at stats like # of highrises, # of multifamily residences, # of people at 30x density, # of people taking transit, and other factors of highly developed urban environments it's usually about 6-7x greater than Chicago. The size of NYC of course dwarfs Philadelphia even more so, but culturally they are more similar.

or can just see this post again of why they aren't similar.

https://www.city-data.com/forum/32159938-post161.html

Last edited by grapico; 03-02-2014 at 11:18 AM..

Old 03-02-2014, 11:29 AM

4,823 posts, read 4,950,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by midwest1 View Post
You seem really ignorant of the Midwest. Chicago yes is a global city but very in touch with its region. And guess what...Detroit has the largest Arab population, Minneapolis the largest Somali population and St. Louis has the largest Bosnian population...the Midwest is hardly devoid of connections to other parts of the world.

Any Big 10 school city like Ann Arbor, Madison, Columbus, Bloomington, Champaign ...are extremely international as well. I really get puzzled by some people's understanding of the Midwest.
Of course the large industrial cities in the midwest have international connections; immigration, esp. European, fueled the growth. Cleveland, for example, has the largest Hungarian, Ukrainian and possibly Romanian populations and a large Arab population. My understanding of the midwest, especially Chicago, is based on experience, not speculation.

Old 03-03-2014, 06:22 AM

2,549 posts, read 3,984,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
That's only at a broad level and not considering other factors.

^^ There is nothing East Coast about Chicago at all. East Coast is not a code word for urban development.

Really their only similarities is they both have a very large CBD with skyscrapers that are head and shoulders above everywhere else, after that, their similarities quickly dissipate. Physically the skyscraper area of Chicago Loop/Near North combined approaches the size of Midtown but they are different at street level. Outside of the Chicago downtown there is a massive drop off in intense urban development and their skyline more seems to just come out of nowhere, this is not the case in Manhattan. Chicago simply doesn't have neighborhoods that look like this and run 120k ppsm over multiple square mile swaths.

Carl Schurz

Also the ultra dense area's of NYC are about 6-7x larger than Chicago. The city sizes of both bring it down and skew the data as they both contain fairly suburban areas in those limits. If you look at stats like # of highrises, # of multifamily residences, # of people at 30x density, # of people taking transit, and other factors of highly developed urban environments it's usually about 6-7x greater than Chicago. The size of NYC of course dwarfs Philadelphia even more so, but culturally they are more similar.

or can just see this post again of why they aren't similar.

https://www.city-data.com/forum/32159938-post161.html
I would say even bigger than Chicago, Philly, SF and Boston combined. Hong Kong would be more similar to NYC in the highrise count comparison.

Old 04-16-2014, 07:22 PM

147 posts, read 147,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STLgasm View Post
LOL!!!! So you're saying Chicago is in New York's league? Think again. Not. even. close. Philadelphia is much closer in size/scale to Chicago than Chicago is to New York, so at least be consistent there. If we're talking about scale, Philadelphia is a scaled-down New York moreso than Chicago is. Of course, this is my opinion based on anecdotal experience and the whole East Coast vibe.

Chicago falls flat on its face compared to New York as well. Period.

I am really sick of people saying that Chicago does not compare to New York because it is larger. By that logic I could say Lagos is much better than New York City because it is 2x larger. It just doesn't work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City