Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city has the better downtown?
Los Angeles 35 21.21%
Seattle 89 53.94%
Portland 12 7.27%
San Diego 8 4.85%
Denver 15 9.09%
Salt Lake City 6 3.64%
Voters: 165. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2014, 11:15 AM

7 posts, read 10,682 times

Advertisements

An interesting debate here. People tend to get a bit tribal about these things, but it's "ok" to prefer one downtown to another for whatever reason works for you. Objective comparisons are a bit more difficult, as it's hard to prove what's qualifiably "best" in comparisons like this. As an urban planner, I'll give my two cents worth here, which is usually based on factors like user friendliness, easy access, pedestrian designed considerations, environmental aesthetics, architecture & public spaces, etc. I've spend extensive periods of time in each city's downtown. I lived for many years in LA, presently live in Denver, and traveled to Seattle hundreds of times. LA's downtown is the largest, and has many high-end attractions. It doesn't compare (yet, at least) to Denver or Seattle's "experience," as most locals simply do not consider downtown as a "hang-out" type environment, compared to the other cities. People go there for a function and usually quickly return home. OF course, LA has many other cool neighborhoods to hang out in, but that's another topic. There's some dynamic new development going on downtown, plus the nearby LA-Live. Unfortunately, LA's downtown is completely encircled by extensively crowded freeways, thus retaining a feeling of "island" isolation. Disney Hall is amazing, as are the old, still under-utilized historic movie palaces on Broadway. New shopping and green space plazas could help transform it further to a welcoming energy type environment.
That leaves Seattle vs. Denver, and frankly I'd rate them just about a tie, but again, it depends on what you're looking for in a downtown. Both are centric magnets, "hang-outable" environments, user friendly and pedestrian packed. Seattle's downtown is a little bigger and a little slicker. Seattle has great shopping opportunities, while Denver's bigger retail stores are mostly 2-3 miles up the road in tony Cherry Creek. Denver's lower downtown retains more of it's 1880's original architecture, with the old victorians and red-brick structures dating back to the 1880's "gold rush boom town" construction. Lower Denver (called LoDo by locals) is as vibrant a scene as you'll ever find anywhere now. When Coors Field was built right in the oldest historic downtown district, it revitalized the entire area, until it is now teeming with activity and historic preservation. In addition, the recent addition of the iconic white "millenium" bridges connecting downtown to the parks along the Platte River has added a new level of outdoor recreation opportunities footsteps away from the hi-rise corridor. Now, the area called LoHi ((Lower Highlands, and adjacent to the Platte River going the opposite direction), is booming with additional shops, restaurants and young, educated professionals flocking in to it's unique ambience. When Denver's central, historic train station is finished with it's rennovation, there will be a direct light rail train line to the airport terminal entrance, which will be yet another boom for locals and tourists alike.
There's something wonderful to be said for all three of these cities (Portland, OR and San Diego aren't bad either), and it's just aesthetic preference. As an urban planner, my bet would be on Denver as it continues to learn from other cities and develop forward thinking pedestrian and recreation friendly environments for the 21st century.
Last, but not least: "backdrops." Puget Sound/Pike Place Market is a beautiful backdrop to Seattle's vibrant downtown, and well designed by urban planners years ago! Denver's backdrop is the Rocky Moutains and their stunning 150-mile long snow-capped front range views. Apples vs. oranges. I'll let the bickering continue as to which one is more magnificent. Both are pretty lucky, in my opinion. Peace everyone!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2014, 05:48 PM

1,606 posts, read 3,342,034 times
I think each of these cities have a downtown thats at least good in quality, with Seattle and Portland being excellent IMO. Seattle's setting is amazing and downtown is compact, walkable and booming. Retail is very strong and theres a nice mix of old & new architecture.
Portland also impressed me, mostly due to the large collection of early 20th century buildings. It reminded me of the area around San Francisco's Union Square, with fewer street people. The skyline of Portland is pretty mundane, though, and the riverfront isn't all that impressive. But it makes up for that with the excellent connections to nearby neighborhoods (The Pearl and area west of dwtn), not to mention excellent transit.
I was in LA last year and was impressed with how much devlopment is occurring, especially among the incredible collection of historic buildings along Broadway, Main and Hill Avenues. I have mixed feelings on the whole Bunker Hill district, as it has some cool buildings, but also is pretty sterile. It still has a way to go, but it gets my vote for most improved downtown in the past 10 years.
Denver has huge downtown that boomed in the '70s and early '80s (and has a bit of a dated skyline). But, that said, the downtown has filled in substantially in the past 20 years with LoDo and the neighborhood beyond the train station (don't know name, but has an REI and lots of housing). Retail isnt equal to Seattle and Portland ( or maybe even Salt Lake or San Diego), but Larimer Square is awesome.
It's been 10 years since I've seen Salt Lake City, but it was impressive then and, from everything I've read, is much more so today. SLC is on a smaller scale than the other cities and has arguably the least impressive skyline. However, there's a nice selection of historic architecture, several nice squares, lots of retail, cool residential neighborhoods to the north and east of downtown, plus a cool canyon trail just behind the state capitol.
Downtown San Diego doesn't get enough respect in my opinion. It's very walkable, with good access to the harborfront/Seaport Village. Lots of retail, a nice square at the Grant Hotel, plus a great entertainment district.

Although I like all of the above downtowns, Seattle would be my favorite.

Old 02-06-2014, 11:23 PM

6,208 posts, read 9,209,186 times
Beautiful pictures Pwright!! I love the DTLA shots even more!

Old 02-07-2014, 12:11 AM

2,061 posts, read 3,736,028 times
I feel like people will automatically jump to saying Seattle... BUT, I think San Diego really has the best downtown out of the list provided.

Most people just see the towers and how urban and well put together the downtown area is, but I find that most people haven't been there. This is not to say that Seattle doesn't have a great downtown, cause it definitely does... BUT I prefer downtown San Diego. I enjoy the Gaslamp more than downtown Seattle.

Old 02-08-2014, 01:40 AM

5,864 posts, read 15,239,602 times
^^^Nice pics.

A few more I snapped in DTLA.

Old 02-08-2014, 02:27 AM

6,208 posts, read 9,209,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwright1 View Post
^^^Nice pics.

A few more I snapped in DTLA.

Amazing! Btw, where was the first pic taken? It looks like it must've been inside one of those beautiful theatres on Broadway.

Old 02-08-2014, 03:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcave360 View Post
Amazing! Btw, where was the first pic taken? It looks like it must've been inside one of those beautiful theatres on Broadway.
That's the Orpheum Theater at 9th and Broadway. I was very impressed.

Old 02-16-2014, 05:27 PM

46 posts, read 71,045 times
Sorry for bumping this thread, but is this a joke? Los Angeles with that many votes? More than twice as many as Portland?

Having spent considerable time in both downtown Los Angeles and downtown Portland in recent years, there is absolutely no comparison. Downtown Portland is several tiers above downtown Los Angeles. Now admittedly LA has a few neat things going on like LA live, Grand Central Market, and the Fashion District, but overall vibrancy and cohesiveness is not even close to downtown Portland. I mean I have to really wonder what people are smoking on here. A few snapshots tells nothing. Go to both cities, park your car and, for goodness sakes, just walk around the entire downtowns with both eyes open. I mean this has to be some kind of joke.

Old 02-17-2014, 02:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mak2675 View Post
Sorry for bumping this thread, but is this a joke? Los Angeles with that many votes? More than twice as many as Portland?

Having spent considerable time in both downtown Los Angeles and downtown Portland in recent years, there is absolutely no comparison. Downtown Portland is several tiers above downtown Los Angeles. Now admittedly LA has a few neat things going on like LA live, Grand Central Market, and the Fashion District, but overall vibrancy and cohesiveness is not even close to downtown Portland. I mean I have to really wonder what people are smoking on here. A few snapshots tells nothing. Go to both cities, park your car and, for goodness sakes, just walk around the entire downtowns with both eyes open. I mean this has to be some kind of joke.
Sorry but its not a joke and no one is smoking anything. Dt Portland is very nice and I've been there many times being a former pnwesterner. DT Portland is probably 1/8th the size of DTLA and it simply offers much more. To me DTLA just offers so much more. Is more vibrant Has many more residents. A much more vibrant nightlife scene. Dt Portland has nothing like Santee Alley, Olvera Street or Little Tokyo. Plus the growing retail scene is growing by the minute. TANNER GOODS OF PORTLAND just opened its first store outside of Portland. Where? In DTLA of course. Over 5000 apt/ condo units are u/c as we speak with many more on the way. Billion dollar projects are also u/c like the 72 story Wilshire Grand hotel/office retail complex and Metropolis between WGrand and LA Live. Again no one is smoking anything. I've been to both many many times and DT Portland is nice but I honestly think it belongs below DTLA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City