Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2023, 07:23 PM

37,897 posts, read 42,015,677 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heel82 View Post
Maybe I’m coming at Memphis from a different angle simply because I’m a tourist. But the things I saw and did in Memphis were fairly unique to Memphis. But I’ve never travelled through Mississippi, so maybe Memphis feels like that. I’m not inclined to think Mississippi is more Southern than other states though, so there is also that.
Rock 'n roll, blues, soul, BBQ, Pentecostalism, the mighty Mississippi, Civil Rights history, etc.--to me, the Southernness is thick in the air in Memphis. It's like the epitome of an urbanized version of the traditional rural South IMO.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2023, 09:12 PM

580 posts, read 566,829 times
Modern Memphis realistically is more about Fed Ex, St Jude, local universities, medical schools, hospitals, etc. Down in DeSoto County, Mississippi are big Amazon, Google, and Volvo facilities among many others.

I will say that downtown Memphis has crossed a threshold and is starting to feel like a real city. There is a new parking garage on Beale Street that sits right at the center.

Within two blocks are Beale Street, South Main district, Fed Ex Forum, the Orpheum, Tom Lee Park on the river (newly done and now very beautiful), Main Street pedestrian mall, the Peabody, the baseball stadium, and nearby Bass Pro at the Pyramid, Mud Island/ Harbor Town, and the Hernando DeSoto Bridge which is lighted up at night.

Old 09-15-2023, 09:38 PM

4,159 posts, read 2,860,004 times
Much of that I don’t readily associate with the larger South per se. BBQ and civil rights feel unqualified, the rest seem loosely Delta specific to varying degrees. Pentecostalism’s main branches are in the Midwest and the Delta for instance, whereas most of the South is aligned with Baptists traditionally. Blues and soul (and I suppose the roots of rock n’ roll) came from a fairly specific (and originally narrow) subset of the Delta region.

That said it’s Southern. It just feels fairly unique Southern.

Old 09-15-2023, 10:27 PM

2,632 posts, read 1,231,986 times
Simple answer:

Neyland Stadium, where the University of Tennessee plays football, has a capacity of 101,915.

Kenan Memorial Stadium, where UNC plays football, and Carter-Finley Stadium, where NC State plays football, (the two largest collegiate football programs in the state) have respective capacities of 51,000 and 56,919.

Additionally, UTenn has a student enrollment of 28,321 while UNC has an enrollment of 29,469, so Tennessee isn't a bigger school overall.

If you're familiar with the South as a region, you know how important College Football is to Southern Culture and Identity.

Old 09-16-2023, 05:14 AM

5,841 posts, read 5,645,964 times
Tennessee feels more southern but there isn't anywhere in NC that doesn't feel southern. These threads are getting ridiculous. I've been to every important city in NC and to the smaller cities from Morganton to Kinston...

Not a single one of the larger NC cities feels "not" southern...

Tennessee is less urbanized overall so in that sense it helps retain more typical southern aspects, I guess...

Old 09-16-2023, 05:55 AM

2,262 posts, read 2,404,445 times
Easily Tennessee but I travel to NC a lot (specifically Raleigh) and that area still feels pretty southern but between the two states? TN wins that one.

Old 09-16-2023, 06:44 AM

16,080 posts, read 21,176,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Rock 'n roll, blues, soul, BBQ, Pentecostalism, the mighty Mississippi, Civil Rights history, etc.--to me, the Southernness is thick in the air in Memphis. It's like the epitome of an urbanized version of the traditional rural South IMO.
Memphis certainly has the feel of the deep south sure, but that doesn't necessarily trump the the 'other' southern feel of the other end of the state, football, nascar, moonshine, mountains and hollers, and bluegrass.
Maybe it would be more accurate to say that TN has more layers or diversity to it's southern feel.

Old 09-16-2023, 07:06 AM

4,159 posts, read 2,860,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2020's YouTube Vlog View Post
Simple answer:

Neyland Stadium, where the University of Tennessee plays football, has a capacity of 101,915.

Kenan Memorial Stadium, where UNC plays football, and Carter-Finley Stadium, where NC State plays football, (the two largest collegiate football programs in the state) have respective capacities of 51,000 and 56,919.

Additionally, UTenn has a student enrollment of 28,321 while UNC has an enrollment of 29,469, so Tennessee isn't a bigger school overall.

If you're familiar with the South as a region, you know how important College Football is to Southern Culture and Identity.
Wait, so there are 130,000 people in the Triangle attending football games on any given Saturday in the Fall, and that’s used to show the state doesn’t like football? We have more FBS schools in one area than most anywhere else in the country, and I think both ECU and App State lead their conferences in attendance.

Old 09-16-2023, 08:28 AM

6,382 posts, read 5,507,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heel82 View Post
Wait, so there are 130,000 people in the Triangle attending football games on any given Saturday in the Fall, and that’s used to show the state doesn’t like football? We have more FBS schools in one area than most anywhere else in the country, and I think both ECU and App State lead their conferences in attendance.
Right?!

While the overall obsession with "southerness" and the gatekeeping of it in both a positive and negative connotation is one of the most eye-roll worthy trends in this section of C-D regardless....

That was definitely the most ridiculous "hard evidence" attempt I've seen.

Old 09-16-2023, 08:57 AM

2,427 posts, read 2,481,884 times
About the same, both feel like the Mid south. Big fast growing cities like Nashville and Charlotte are sprawling and full of Transplants , either from the West coast, Midwest or Northeast. Mountain tourist areas are similar. The rural country side is what it is in both states. Tennessee doesn't have an answer to N Carolina's Coastal area but all in all one is really no southern than the other. I will say they are both not Deep south in nature by any mean but Memphis feels like it could be a Big Deep South City.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City