Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Dallas vs. Houston
Dallas 127 64.80%
Houston 69 35.20%
Voters: 196. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2014, 05:40 PM

2,217 posts, read 3,900,194 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by R1070 View Post
Really? Southwest Dallas county has some very nice forested hills. And Dallas overall has a rolling terrain rather than flat in the coastal areas of Texas. I figured you'd prefer that living in Atlanta.
Dallas is a nice city and has plenty going on but the terrain leaves alot to be desired. I prefer a more lush enviorment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2014, 09:49 PM

998 posts, read 1,324,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by portlanderinOC View Post
Are you kidding me? Houston probably has way more in common with Atlanta than Dallas does.
I agree

Old 04-26-2014, 10:06 PM

6,693 posts, read 9,939,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATUMRE75 View Post
Dallas is a nice city and has plenty going on but the terrain leaves alot to be desired. I prefer a more lush enviorment.
You haven't seen Southern Dallas County. I wish I could show you parts of Southern Dallas County on Google maps but it won't let me copy the link. Some parts of Dallas County are very hilly. People tend to never venture to Southern Dallas County, so they never see the rolling hills and forested areas.

Mountain Biking at Cedar Hill State Park - Texas Parks and Wildlife [Official] - YouTube

Great Trinity Forest bike path Dallas Texas - YouTube

Texas Buckeye Trail Great Trinity Forest Dallas Texas - YouTube

Old 04-27-2014, 04:55 AM

15,982 posts, read 35,199,026 times
Both Houston and Atlanta being relatively more southern than Dallas does not make them more alike. Houston and Atlanta are in two different southern regions of the country. The Piedmont region reminded me more of Dallas than Houston.

Old 04-27-2014, 08:20 AM

99 posts, read 176,421 times
Houston no where near looks better than Dallas.....Houston got a huge downtown, and some decent looking suburbs, but dallas area is overall way better. South Texas tree population is all most non existent and the air quality is better than Dallas. Houston maybe more upscale than Dallas, like a los Angeles.

Old 04-27-2014, 09:12 AM

7,132 posts, read 9,129,336 times
Houston's downtown isn't really that big though....Yes, it has more skyscrapers, but they're fairly compact in a pretty small area. And there isn't much midrise surrounding the buildings so the transition from skyscraper to midrise is almost non-existent.

Dallas feels bigger in it's immediate core due to having a better transition to midrise and the Uptown district. Same as Atlanta with Midtown and plenty of mid/low-rise buildings in it's downtown.

Old 04-27-2014, 10:00 AM

23,450 posts, read 44,061,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by portlanderinOC View Post
Are you kidding me? Houston probably has way more in common with Atlanta than Dallas does.
No I am not. The main similarity I see is how and where Dallas and Atlanta have developed. Moving north from downtown, you begin to encounter some of the cities' most exclusive neighborhoods at about the same respective distance. The north and south side tend to mirror each other as well in terms of their character. Another poster made the point on a post that if you lay a plexiglass map of Atlanta over a map of Dallas, the socioeconomic breakdown of the matched up neighborhoods is quite alike.

Old 04-27-2014, 10:07 AM

1,085 posts, read 1,789,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATUMRE75 View Post
As opposed to Houston? Houston & Atlanta are more lush than Dallas, yes. But it's not a night vs day scenario. Dallas has lots of trees as well with the only difference being that the trees in Houston and Atlanta are a bit taller. When it comes to terrain, Dallas has rolling hills, whereas Houston does not. I posted this picture from google maps on another thread to show the area in southwestern Dallas.

Old 04-27-2014, 12:27 PM

8,928 posts, read 14,332,358 times
Eastern portions of Dallas do have some nice leafy areas. I still prefer the landscape of Houston, though. The verdant, dank backdrop just can't be found anywhere outside of Southeast Texas.

Personally, I find a beauty in flat terrain that I guess most people just can't see, and the only reason Houston is slammed for being flat is because it isn't as popular as cities like Chicago, New Orleans, and Miami, which are even more flat.

Old 04-27-2014, 01:06 PM

2,217 posts, read 3,900,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dollaztx View Post
As opposed to Houston? Houston & Atlanta are more lush than Dallas, yes. But it's not a night vs day scenario. Dallas has lots of trees as well with the only difference being that the trees in Houston and Atlanta are a bit taller. When it comes to terrain, Dallas has rolling hills, whereas Houston does not. I posted this picture from google maps on another thread to show the area in southwestern Dallas.
Nice pic but from personal experience Houston has prettier terrain overall IMO. Lets be honest you and I both know that most of the metro is situated on an open flat prairie much like OKC. Houston is flat but it is lush and close to the coast with palm trees. Dallas has a more interesting built enviorment. Dallas and Houston are pretty even as far as amenities but I just like the vibe and culture in Houston better. It certainly wouldn't be the end of the world if I had to live in Dallas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City