Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Dallas vs. Houston
Dallas 127 64.80%
Houston 69 35.20%
Voters: 196. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2014, 04:48 PM

12,498 posts, read 26,983,112 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalparadise View Post
So, does this finally help you grasp how silly it is to compare different cities base on arbitrarily drawn political boundaries?
No, it makes one realize how enormous Houston is & that you could theoretically live on one side of the city your whole life & never have stepped foot in the other as if it were a foreign land. I've known several people like that. One that lived off of North Main that had never been to 1960 & one that lived in Alief that had never been up there either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2014, 05:26 PM

20,514 posts, read 33,519,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
No, it makes one realize how enormous Houston is & that you could theoretically live on one side of the city your whole life & never have stepped foot in the other as if it were a foreign land. I've known several people like that. One that lived off of North Main that had never been to 1960 & one that lived in Alief that had never been up there either.
That's not unique to Houston. There are people in every city that's never been to certain parts of their cities.

Old 04-30-2014, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Nice comparison here.

If Houston's Grand Parkway was included it would reach well into Fort Worth & on up to Denton, Frisco, & McKinney.
That's actually embarrassing. No city should brag about that.

Old 04-30-2014, 05:38 PM

3,530 posts, read 5,133,609 times
You often draw distinctions between DFW and Houston that disparage Dallas based on the multiple municipalities of North Texas. Yet, you overlay Houston and show it to encompass a similar area. This is confusing to me. Does an arbitrarily drawn city limits really make that much difference to you?

So, you've know a lot of people who have never gone to 1960...Why would they? There's nothing but fast food and suburbia there. Size has little to do with it.

The article you reference overlaid the beltway on SF, too. The entire city of SF fits within a little more than 1/3 of the Loop. Still, there are people who live their whole lives and never set foot in The Bayview or Visitacion Valley. Similar reason--why would you go if you didn't live there?

Funny, the Houstonians I know who have passed that article around have done so proudly, bragging how big Houston is. The San Franciscans I know who have seen it have reacted with disgust. Another difference for that thread you seemed to bow out of the other day...

Old 04-30-2014, 05:45 PM

12,498 posts, read 26,983,112 times
Quote:
You often draw distinctions between DFW and Houston that disparage Dallas based on the multiple municipalities of North Texas. Yet, you overlay Houston and show it to encompass a similar area. This is confusing to me. Does an arbitrarily drawn city limits really make that much difference to you?

So, you've know a lot of people who have never gone to 1960...Why would they? There's nothing but fast food and suburbia there. Size has little to do with it.

The article you reference overlaid the beltway on SF, too. The entire city of SF fits within a little more than 1/3 of the Loop. Still, there are people who live their whole lives and never set foot in The Bayview or Visitacion Valley. Similar reason--why would you go if you didn't live there?

Funny, the Houstonians I know who have passed that article around have done so proudly, bragging how big Houston is. The San Franciscans I know who have seen it have reacted with disgust. Another difference for that thread you seemed to bow out of the other day...
It also compared Houston to many other cities in the US & around the World both urban & suburban. In other words, it was not one sided.

The whole point of it was to show how massive Houston is in land area while still supporting 6.5 million people.

Old 04-30-2014, 06:23 PM

437 posts, read 628,655 times
Quote:
It also compared Houston to many other cities in the US & around the World both urban & suburban. In other words, it was not one sided.

The whole point of it was to show how massive Houston is in land area while still supporting 6.5 million people.
so in other words it sprawls like no other , you inadvertently do more damage to Houston's name than any other poster.

Old 04-30-2014, 06:42 PM

3,530 posts, read 5,133,609 times
Quote:

You obviously don't comprehend what I am saying to you...as usual.

Old 04-30-2014, 06:55 PM

2,930 posts, read 5,270,124 times
I don't see what the point was of that comparison either. I get more excited about a midrise going up in midtown than I do about another silly freeway loop.

Old 04-30-2014, 07:08 PM

4,435 posts, read 6,298,309 times
Quote:
So, does this finally help you grasp how silly it is to compare different cities base on arbitrarily drawn political boundaries?

I will say the connection between the 610 Loop and Loop 12 in Dallas is VERY close!

Old 04-30-2014, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by R1070 View Post

I will say the connection between the 610 Loop and Loop 12 in Dallas is VERY close!
As do I. I think inside both these loops are the best potential for both cities to create a dense urban sustainable environment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City