Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Dallas vs. Houston
Dallas 127 64.80%
Houston 69 35.20%
Voters: 196. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2014, 05:46 PM

8,928 posts, read 14,332,358 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by orlando-calrissian View Post
Uh, I don't think so. Too wide. Part of the reason why the Central Expressway is attractive is that it's sunken, meaning that if I'm at North Park Mall, I don't see 75. I just look straight across at the buildings on the other side of the freeway. The retaining walls are also have a nice design (though not as good as Southwestern cities IMO), and it minimizes the noise coming from the traffic below. The Katy freeway is definitely one of the widest freeways in N. America, and there's no way to avoid looking at it.
I like the design on the I-10 freeway walls going through Metairie, LA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2014, 05:59 PM

20,514 posts, read 33,519,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Lance View Post
The most attractive freeway in Houston is 288 south, but I'm afraid that once they put in those toll lanes in the median of that freeway that may disturb those aesthetics. We will see

P.S. I think we need to qualify this discussion these are attractive roads for being freeways....
I personally like the part of I-69 between between Loop 610 and the Galleria. Wish all of Houston's freeways was like that.

Old 04-30-2014, 12:24 AM

15,408 posts, read 6,193,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayStokes View Post
You don't think there are any areas at all where Houston might fall short of Dallas? Nothing? You can't think of a single thing that Dallas is better for?
Dallas has an NHL hockey team. Houston does not. So it must be better for pro hockey fans (LOL). The Cowboys have won more Super Bowls than the Texans/former Oilers, too. (Both have MLB, NBA and NFL teams).

Old 04-30-2014, 12:01 PM

12,498 posts, read 26,983,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dalparadise View Post
I think Central Expressway in Dallas is a pretty attractive freeway.
Between downtown & 635 it is an attractive freeway. North of there its just a typical looking Dallas freeway.

Old 04-30-2014, 01:11 PM

632 posts, read 932,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
Between downtown & 635 it is an attractive freeway. North of there its just a typical looking Dallas freeway.
Do you guys think the access road along the freeway design is useful? They always confuse me about how to enter/exit the freeways and how to get to business on the other side of the freeway. Plus, I generally think it makes for unattractive scenery around the freeways. The only place I've seen this design is Texas, although San Diego has circles in certain areas that are similar. Thoughts?

Old 04-30-2014, 02:14 PM
JJG

13,612 posts, read 22,894,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd_96 View Post
Do you guys think the access road along the freeway design is useful? They always confuse me about how to enter/exit the freeways and how to get to business on the other side of the freeway. Plus, I generally think it makes for unattractive scenery around the freeways. The only place I've seen this design is Texas, although San Diego has circles in certain areas that are similar. Thoughts?
I don't complain about access roads and I don't mind them, but then again, I'm used to them.

Old 04-30-2014, 02:20 PM

20,514 posts, read 33,519,512 times
I personally hate them. Feeders, access roads, or service roads. Whatever you call them. The only advantage they have is when bypassing accidents on the interstate or backed up traffic. Other than that, they are useless to me. And yes, they've been a major contributor on the ugliness of Texas urban landscape. Especially when you have buildings and parking lots vacant facing the highway.

Old 04-30-2014, 03:31 PM

9,221 posts, read 15,949,325 times
I don't really mind them. They make it easy to reach things, plus you don't always have to get on the freeway. They do make things look ugly and cluttered though. Feeders really only need to be at major roads and commercial/retail spots. A little zoning goes a long way into making those feeders look a little more attractive. Take 69/59 Southwest for example in Houston. Before passing the Beltway, its that cluttered Houston mess. Once you pass the Beltway and get into Stafford and Sugar Land, the freeway looks a lot better, even with the feeders.

Old 04-30-2014, 03:37 PM

12,498 posts, read 26,983,112 times
Nice comparison here.

If Houston's Grand Parkway was included it would reach well into Fort Worth & on up to Denton, Frisco, & McKinney.
Attached Thumbnails
Dallas vs. Houston?-622x350-1-.jpg  

Old 04-30-2014, 04:42 PM

3,530 posts, read 5,133,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
Nice comparison here.

If Houston's Grand Parkway was included it would reach well into Fort Worth & on up to Denton, Frisco, & McKinney.
So, does this finally help you grasp how silly it is to compare different cities base on arbitrarily drawn political boundaries?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City