Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Dallas vs. Houston
Dallas 127 64.80%
Houston 69 35.20%
Voters: 196. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2014, 07:55 PM

7,132 posts, read 9,130,036 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dispo4 View Post
so in other words it sprawls like no other , you inadvertently do more damage to Houston's name than any other poster.
Houston is a city where you can find a skyscraper in your SFH backyard. Awful planning. Houston folks love to say 'That's what makes Houston unique and it's always something to discover'. And do you see how tiny their sidewalks are in Houston? It's like they want to dissuade people from walking at all costs. It's awful. Even where some of the city is more walkable and urban, it's tiny sidewalks...I've never seen this in any big city. Ever.

Houston's really has to make some changes to look and function more like a big city honestly. Awful public transit(literally like 1 rail line that is 7 miles long). Awful sidewalk infrastructure. Awful planning. With all the development going on in Houston, the city should seriously be looking like a gigantic city by now. Somehow it still doesn't and I'm not talking about the randomly placed skyscrapers everywhere. I'm talking about a legitimate urban fabric.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2014, 08:37 PM

6,083 posts, read 10,695,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant131531 View Post
Houston is a city where you can find a skyscraper in your SFH backyard. Awful planning. Houston folks love to say 'That's what makes Houston unique and it's always something to discover'. And do you see how tiny their sidewalks are in Houston? It's like they want to dissuade people from walking at all costs. It's awful. Even where some of the city is more walkable and urban, it's tiny sidewalks...I've never seen this in any big city. Ever.

Houston's really has to make some changes to look and function more like a big city honestly. Awful public transit(literally like 1 rail line that is 7 miles long). Awful sidewalk infrastructure. Awful planning. With all the development going on in Houston, the city should seriously be looking like a gigantic city by now. Somehow it still doesn't and I'm not talking about the randomly placed skyscrapers everywhere. I'm talking about a legitimate urban fabric.
I'm sorry, I know this is off topic, but don't you live in Atlanta? Most of that can be said about Atlanta and Dallas as well. There are many smaller cities with much better urban fabric than all of them. Seems to be more of a southern thing than just a Houston thing.

Old 04-30-2014, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mezter View Post
I'm sorry, I know this is off topic, but don't you live in Atlanta? Most of that can be said about Atlanta and Dallas as well. There are many smaller cities with much better urban fabric than all of them. Seems to be more of a southern thing than just a Houston thing.
Regardless of whether or not I live in Atlanta doesn't make what I say any less true or less valid. And no, I don't believe Atlanta has tiny sidewalks like Houston. Even in some of the inner suburban neighborhoods, the sidewalks are generally a lot bigger than in Houston. Atlanta also has about 48 miles of heavy rail(more heavy rail than Boston), over 50 miles of rail if you decide to include the little tiny streetcar route that was just put in.

Houston's way bigger than Atlanta and thus should be more built like a big city, but it's actually the opposite.

Old 04-30-2014, 09:20 PM

2,930 posts, read 5,270,124 times
Quote:
Regardless of whether or not I live in Atlanta doesn't make what I say any less true or less valid. And no, I don't believe Atlanta has tiny sidewalks like Houston. Even in some of the inner suburban neighborhoods, the sidewalks are generally a lot bigger than in Houston. Atlanta also has about 48 miles of heavy rail(more heavy rail than Boston), over 50 miles of rail if you decide to include the little tiny streetcar route that was just put in.

Houston's way bigger than Atlanta and thus should be more built like a big city, but it's actually the opposite.
I would understand your points a little better if this was 10 years ago. Houston has already begun to make drastic improvements to its urban fabric, not only midtown/downtown and all that's soon to come but areas along in the Upper Kirby area along Kirby Drive. The recent Bagby Street re-do has really brought a new identity to Midtown, along with Some all of the midrise construction that is in the process of finishing up.

Some of your criticisms sound like the same old template criticisms pre- 2000. Yes, Houston's rail is still pretty lousy, but that doesn't change that with the 2 new lightrail lines and the recent expansion of the original Red Line, the system has more than doubled in total miles. It sounds like you really need to come and see Houston post 2010 and really come with an open mind. Matter fact... wait and come 3 short years from now. You'll see probably triple the progress by then.

Old 04-30-2014, 09:23 PM

2,068 posts, read 2,922,124 times
Quote:

Your criticism of Houston is looking more and more contrived by the day.

First of all, although there is a lack of zoning, there are many restrictions in place as well, ensuring that Houston developed no differently than other cities in the sunbelt. Houstonians see lack of zoning like ny other concept, both one that has its benefits, and one that has its disadvantages. Many of the hypothetical scenarios people put up to criticize "no zoning" (i.e. "strip malls next to churches") do not exist at all in the city, at least, not prominently. The disadvantages of no zoning are being overcome by the day, as development is occuring to the point to make a cohesive urban connection of Uptown-Downtown-Midtown-Medical Center.

Yes, Houston has changes to make to become more traditionally "urban", and the Houstonians know it (which is why many are FOR such changes). These changes are already being implemented as we speak; the rail line, for example, is going to expand greatly through this year. After that, then the commuter rail starts coming into play. But let me just say that even without the extensions, as small as it is, the rail line is still serving its purpose well, and at least, is successfully interwoven in the urban fabric of Houston's, seeing that it has very high ridership per mile. That is one of many forms of evidence that show that Houstonians are a progressive bunch that would do anything to make the city more urban.

But really, outside this supposed "lack of urbanity," Houston looks, and functions more like the 4th largest city, and is more in league with Chicago, NYC, and Los Angeles than any other city in the country; it has the urban ammenities, the culture, the diversity, the power, and the stance to a greater effect than many of these other cities.

Quote:

Talking about Houston when you are looking from the outside-in robs you of the upclose experience, one that can actually show you how Houstonians really feel about changes for the better concerning "urbanity," quite the contrary to your presumptions. It also will allow you to keep in with the times, and see that the Houston of now is much different than the Houston of the past.

As stated before, all Houston has to improve upon is a more "pedestrian friendly" design. Once the design change is made, Houston will wipe the floors with any city that is not Chicago, LA, or NYC imho.

Old 04-30-2014, 09:26 PM

437 posts, read 628,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stoneclaw View Post
I would understand your points a little better if this was 10 years ago. Houston has already begun to make drastic improvements to its urban fabric, not only midtown/downtown and all that's soon to come but areas along in the Upper Kirby area along Kirby Drive. The recent Bagby Street re-do has really brought a new identity to Midtown, along with Some all of the midrise construction that is in the process of finishing up.

Some of your criticisms sound like the same old template criticisms pre- 2000. Yes, Houston's rail is still pretty lousy, but that doesn't change that with the 2 new lightrail lines and the recent expansion of the original Red Line, the system has more than doubled in total miles. It sounds like you really need to come and see Houston post 2010 and really come with an open mind. Matter fact... wait and come 3 short years from now. You'll see probably triple the progress by then.
What I've noticed with all the new Houston construction though is, huge setbacks from the sidewalk (ala office park), little to no ground floor retail, and huge parking structures are the norm, so eventhough its building like crazy, I wouldn't say a more urban city is being created.

Old 04-30-2014, 09:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yn0hTnA View Post

First of all, although there is a lack of zoning, there are many restrictions in place as well, ensuring that Houston developed no differently than other cities in the sunbelt. Houstonians see lack of zoning like ny other concept, both one that has its benefits, and one that has its disadvantages. Many of the hypothetical scenarios people put up to criticize "no zoning" (i.e. "strip malls next to churches") do not exist at all in the city, at least, not prominently. The disadvantages of no zoning are being overcome by the day, as development is occuring to the point to make a cohesive urban connection of Uptown-Downtown-Midtown-Medical Center.

Yes, Houston has changes to make to become more traditionally "urban", and the Houstonians know it (which is why many are FOR such changes). These changes are already being implemented as we speak; the rail line, for example, is going to expand greatly through this year. After that, then the commuter rail starts coming into play. But really, outside this supposed "lack of urbanity," Houston looks, and functions more like the 4th largest city, and is more in league with Chicago, NYC, and Los Angeles than any other city in the country; it has the urban ammenities, the culture, the diversity, the power, and the stance to a greater effect than many of these other cities.

Talking about Houston when you are looking from the outside-in robs you of the upclose experience, one that can actually show you how Houstonians really feel about changes for the better concerning "urbanity," quite the contrary to your presumptions.

As stated before, all Houston has to improve upon is a more "pedestrian friendly" design. Once the design change is made, Houston will wipe the floors with any city that is not Chicago, LA, or NYC imho.
Houston is decades away from reaching the big 3's tier....it would need to build a massive transit system, become highly dense and urban, and still has to beat SF and DC, which both make a far larger impact, both culturally and economically on the world stage than Houston does.

Old 04-30-2014, 09:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yn0hTnA View Post

Yes, Houston has changes to make to become more traditionally "urban", and the Houstonians know it (which is why many are FOR such changes). These changes are already being implemented as we speak; the rail line, for example, is going to expand greatly through this year. After that, then the commuter rail starts coming into play. But let me just say that even without the extensions, as small as it is, the rail line is still serving its purpose well, and at least, is successfully interwoven in the urban fabric of Houston's, seeing that it has very high ridership per mile. That is one of many forms of evidence that show that Houstonians are a progressive bunch that would do anything to make the city more urban.

But really, outside this supposed "lack of urbanity," Houston looks, and functions more like the 4th largest city, and is more in league with Chicago, NYC, and Los Angeles than any other city in the country; it has the urban ammenities, the culture, the diversity, the power, and the stance to a greater effect than many of these other cities.

Talking about Houston when you are looking from the outside-in robs you of the upclose experience, one that can actually show you how Houstonians really feel about changes for the better concerning "urbanity," quite the contrary to your presumptions. It also will allow you to keep in with the times, and see that the Houston of now is much different than the Houston of the past.

LOL, boosterism at its finest

Old 04-30-2014, 09:33 PM

Quote:
Houston is decades away from reaching the big 3's tier....it would need to build a massive transit system, become highly dense and urban, and still has to beat SF and DC, which both make a far larger impact, both culturally and economically on the world stage than Houston does.
and Philly as well

Old 04-30-2014, 09:34 PM

2,068 posts, read 2,922,124 times
Quote:
The Houston area has the 4th largest economy in the nation, so economy wise, Houston already wipes the floor with SF and DC, and the lead will become greater as Houston diversifies the economy.

As for cultural impact, all it takes is a case, and a presentation to the public, at this point, being that Houston already has all the assets in place.

The ONLY thing holding Houston back is the need for "urban design," and those needs are being addressed as we speak.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dispo4 View Post
LOL, boosterism at its finest
No, just telling it like it is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City