Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Dallas vs. Houston
Dallas 127 64.80%
Houston 69 35.20%
Voters: 196. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2014, 11:47 PM

2,068 posts, read 2,921,841 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd_96 View Post
I've been to Dallas, Houston, and Austin. Dallas is probably my favorite, but honestly I'm not sure why. I feel like nationwide Dallas is probably more famous as quintessential Texas.

I don't think most Americans even realize Houston is the fourth largest city. If I weren't a statistics nut, I'd assume Philly, DC, Boston, SF, even Atlanta were larger.
Houston is not as quintessential Texan as Dallas, but that's because being on the Gulf Coast adds a distinctive, subtropical, coastal vibe to the city (much like Corpus Christi and Brownsville).

Please, anyone with at least half a brain would know that Houston is the 4th largest city. The whole world knows of Houston's power. You are dismissed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2014, 11:52 PM

632 posts, read 932,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yn0hTnA View Post

Please, anyone with at least half a brain would know that Houston is the 4th largest city. The whole world knows of Houston's power. You are dismissed.
Houston's power! Lol

Old 05-13-2014, 02:06 AM

12,498 posts, read 26,983,112 times
Quote:
Houston's power! Lol
Yeah, if Houston cut your electricity off or cut off your oil supply you would feel it. In anything happened to all those refineries (God forbid) the nation would be crippled.

Dallas doesn't have that power. All they have is TXU & Exxon Mobil headquarters.

Old 05-13-2014, 06:21 AM

20,514 posts, read 33,519,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yn0hTnA View Post
Houston is not as quintessential Texan as Dallas, but that's because being on the Gulf Coast adds a distinctive, subtropical, coastal vibe to the city (much like Corpus Christi and Brownsville).

Actually no they don't. Everybody knows the three largest cities. After that, it gets cloudy. People think Philly is larger. Or San Francisco, or even Washington or Boston would be 4th. Heck, people think Dallas is bigger than Houston. I've met many up here in Washington that thought Dallas the biggest city in Texas.

Old 05-13-2014, 09:53 AM

328 posts, read 471,406 times
Quote:
Why do people keep calling Dallas "flashy"? To me there is nothing "flashy" about it.
Let me help. Pics attributed to photographers on flickr.com.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/triarch/6085579890/
https://www.flickr.com/photos/pasant...7604212284286/
https://www.flickr.com/photos/pasant/5257225551/
https://www.flickr.com/photos/pasant/5251406548/
https://www.flickr.com/photos/pasant/4466861093/
https://www.flickr.com/photos/stephe...r/13980555011/
https://www.flickr.com/photos/ninjatune/11244868514/

I prefer impressive to flashy.

Old 05-13-2014, 10:13 AM

328 posts, read 471,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
Actually no they don't. Everybody knows the three largest cities. After that, it gets cloudy. People think Philly is larger. Or San Francisco, or even Washington or Boston would be 4th. Heck, people think Dallas is bigger than Houston. I've met many up here in Washington that thought Dallas the biggest city in Texas.
^This

Old 05-13-2014, 10:48 AM

213 posts, read 388,234 times
It's all dependent upon who is asked. This holds true with both locals and outsiders and both domestic and foreign.

Old 05-13-2014, 11:27 AM

3,530 posts, read 5,133,216 times
Quote:
The reason people think all those places are bigger is because they are. It all has to do with when you stop counting people who live, work, own property, dine out, send their kids to school, read the local news, vote in elections that have local impact, etc. in a particular area.

Houston cares a great deal about the distinction of counting those people who reside within a certain arbitrary and invisible line. When properly drawn, this line affords them "bragging rights" to fourth place. There's another line that affords them fifth place, but it isn't as popular, because it puts Houston behind Dallas. We won't even bring up the line that bumps Houston to eighth or ninth.

For some reason, it's not as worthy of bragging to be among the ten largest urban areas in the country to Houstonians. From living there nearly my entire adult life, I think Houston feels every bit the eighth largest urban area in the country. That's pretty impressive, given the suburban nature of its makeup. I also briefly lived in Dallas and found that it felt a bit more urban, with more activity in the city than Houston. To me, this made it feel slightly larger, which its urbanized area is by about 600-700K people (though it wasn't a significantly different urban experience from Houston).

That's why people start counting things like 5-level freeway interchanges and skylines between the two to try to differentiate them. They are very, very similar in look and feel, though, and Houston's latest boom in development has brought it even closer to Dallas in this regard than it has been in decades.

So, they resort to the invisible lines to draw the differences, because the visible differences are so slight.

Old 05-13-2014, 11:44 AM

632 posts, read 932,405 times
Nice pics. Dallas is a cool city, for Texas.

Old 05-13-2014, 12:24 PM

998 posts, read 1,324,767 times
Quote:
Exactly! This has been my experience and its likely the reason why Houstonians feel the need to remind everyone that it is the "4th largest city". That has always been a ridiculous "nickname" for the city and I wish Houston boosters would stop saying it as if there is a prize for being 4th. If you're not #1, no one really cares. I'm sure you won't ever hear Phoenix marketing itself as the "5th" largest or Chicago as the "3rd"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City