Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Dallas vs. Houston
Dallas 127 64.80%
Houston 69 35.20%
Voters: 196. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2015, 08:17 PM

2,068 posts, read 2,922,124 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cacao View Post
There would be a lot less trees though (down by Texas City that is). It would have been cool if there were a channel connecting Lake Houston and Trinity Bay with the core of Houston being built along that. It would be an officially coastal city with plenty of trees. Actually if we're wishing for things I wish Houston were built where Port Arthur is, right along the Louisiana border. It would get more rain and would be less hot.
Dickinson, just outside of Texas City, has alot of old-growth natural tree/pine stands:
https://www.google.com/maps/place/Di...c31fd0!6m1!1e1
https://www.google.com/maps/@29.4552...8i1664!6m1!1e1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cacao View Post
Less hot. More humid with more cloud cover and rain. Extreme southeast Texas doesnt really get that those dry SW winds that drive the temps well into the triple digits like most of TX.
The climate difference that exists between Houston and Port Arthur is negligible; both cities have essentially the same marine-influenced humid climate as the rest of the Southeast, complete with frequent thunderstorms during summer. Triple digit temps naturally are not common in both cities as they are in the rest of Texas; in Houston, all the concrete sprawl has contributed to UHI that causes an artificial rise in temps, causing a man-made rise in both average high temps and occurrences of triple digit temps. And even with Houston's UHI, the record high temp of the city at downtown is exactly the same as that of Port Arthur.

The coolest summers in Texas are found (outside of the mountain areas) on Galveston Island, within Greater Houston; average high temps on the island don't go above the upper 80F range.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dml3 View Post
Houston is a dump of a city. Businesses stacked ontop of businesses. The streets are dirty and ugly.
fort Worth, dallas, Austin, san Antonio all have cleaner , nicer and smoother roads than houston. Those cities are clean and businesses are spread out. They gave them room to breathe between each other.

Houston has no regulations you can place a car dealership next to a daycare which is blocked by a restaurant and a funeral home, which sits next to a bank with urgent care emergency rooms on every corner.

In other words anywhere they can put a businesses they will do just that. Most cities car dealerships are lumped together. Not in houston. Their motto is "get in where you fit in".

This whole mentality is what attributes to its ugliness amd being a total dump
What a silly screed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2015, 01:19 PM

25 posts, read 24,210 times
I like both cities, but prefer Houston. The food is superior, which is important to me. Secondarily, Houston is more eclectic and quirky. Third, the inner city of Houston looks and feels far larger and condensed that that of Dallas.

Those that use the "Houston is ugly" motto might consider getting off the freeways a little. Much of Houston's inner city is rather pretty.

Old 07-06-2015, 01:34 PM

7,228 posts, read 16,097,872 times
Houston. No contest. Great museum district and seriously great food. It is our "big city" adventure of choice. But we recently spent a weekend in Dallas and were pleasantly surprised by how much we enjoyed it. Both are great to visit. If I had to live there, I'd pick Houston.

Old 07-06-2015, 01:40 PM

6,083 posts, read 10,695,817 times
Weird, I was just thinking about this thread.

I'm pretty shocked by the poll results

Old 07-06-2015, 02:06 PM

25 posts, read 24,210 times
I don't visit here often, but from what I've seen there are far more Dallas posters on the forum. I also think that the Houston stereotype comes into play. That's a shame since that stereotype is often misguided.

Old 07-06-2015, 02:54 PM

20,514 posts, read 33,519,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Powervoc View Post
I don't visit here often, but from what I've seen there are far more Dallas posters on the forum. I also think that the Houston stereotype comes into play. That's a shame since that stereotype is often misguided.
Nah it's the opposite. Dallas is rarely represented on this forum.

Old 07-06-2015, 03:18 PM

4,344 posts, read 2,803,077 times
I think Dallas Is More Ordinary Than Houston. It is a great place to live a comfy, middle America life.

Houston to me has more edge.

Dallas is the sibling that fits in anywhere, does what he is supposed to do in school and does not cause his parents much grief. He grows up and earns a good stable job and enjoy the finer things in life. Things he sometimes cannot afford, but if his friends get something, he most definitely will get it too.

Houston is the kid that knows where the mischief is to be found, the kid that the more average kids would not want to associate with. At the same time she is the more friendly of the two. She is not a bad girl but has an unconventional way of doing things. She doesn't care about what others think of her like her brother does, but doesn't like being taken lightly either. She is more educated than her brother, but is in at out of jobs. She has money, but you can't tell based on her dress or the car she drives. She is more likely to have friends of various nationalities and more likely to spend time on other countries.

To the casual observer, these siblings are one and the same, but to those that get to know them they have their differences.

Neither is leagues ahead of the other

Old 07-06-2015, 11:45 PM

2,995 posts, read 3,100,389 times
*Sigh* Who dug this thread up again?!? There is a reason why this topic finally got closed in the Texas forum after 8 years; this has to be the most over discussed versus topic on all of City-Data. Talk about beating a dead horse.

Old 07-06-2015, 11:48 PM

2,995 posts, read 3,100,389 times
As far as the poll results, though, I will say that it seems like most people in Texas prefer Houston over Dallas while most people OUTSIDE of Texas tend to find Dallas to be nicer and more appealing than Houston, for various reasons.

Old 07-07-2015, 07:02 AM

13,384 posts, read 25,732,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mentallect View Post
As far as the poll results, though, I will say that it seems like most people in Texas prefer Houston over Dallas while most people OUTSIDE of Texas tend to find Dallas to be nicer and more appealing than Houston, for various reasons.
Ive actually noticed this as well.

After 5 years in Dallas, I just moved to Houston 4 months ago. Here are some observations.

1) People in Dallas value shopping more and people in Houston value eating more. Thats probably why Dallas has better shopping and Houston has better eating though both cities have great shopping and eating.

2) Everything in Houston is central. All the amenities in the metro area are in a certain radius of 610. In Dallas, things are more scattered throughout the metro area.

3) The suburbs in Dallas are far superior to the ones in Houston. There isn't any suburb in Houston that offered the level of what I was used to in Plano. Though there does seem to be more going on in the city of Houston vs. the city of Dallas.

4) Dallas is more liberal than Houston. Houston is more libertarian than Dallas.

5) In Houston, things exist in their natural state with no rush to try and clean up anything. Dallas doesn't like anything not to be pretty so they make it so very fast.

6) In Dallas, most events centered around alcohol. In Houston, they are more cultural.

7) Dallas is a much more effeminate even metrosexual kind of city whereas Houston is more rough around he edges.

8) The gay community in Dallas is more visible and flamboyant.

9) As an ethnic food snob, its nice to have pretty much everything on the Southwest side of town in Houston. Im not sure there isn't a cuisine that isn't available between the Galleria area and Beltway 8 from 69 to Westheimer. Dallas had similar offerings, but it meant a drive to Garland for Vietnamese, Carrollton for Korean, Lewisville for Burmese, etc. Fortunately, I lived in Plano which had Chinese, Indian, Pakistani, etc.

10) The restaurants in Houston are much more creative than the ones in Dallas (the American restaurants).

11) Dallas people are much more on the cutting edge of fashion where as Houston people are comfortable in a pair of jeans.

12) Cajun food is huge in Houston. Its advertised everywhere and there are restaurants everywhere. In Dallas, nobody seemed to like it.

13) After living in Houston, I can't get over how much more Southern it is than Dallas. Dallas seems almost Midwestern by comparison.

14) The roads in Houston are God awful and full of potholes.

My two cents.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City