Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Dallas vs. Houston
Dallas 127 64.80%
Houston 69 35.20%
Voters: 196. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2015, 05:15 PM

5,287 posts, read 5,784,865 times

Advertisements

The difference between Houston's brand of Southern and Dallas' brand of Southern is similar to the difference between New Orleans and Memphis. One is a swampy, Gulf port Southern while the other is a prairie-hardwood, middle America, four seasons Southern.

That's all I feel like typing right now. I'll probably tackle the rest later.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2015, 05:21 PM

2,995 posts, read 3,100,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mega man View Post
The difference between Houston's brand of Southern and Dallas' brand of Southern is similar to the difference between New Orleans and Memphis. One is a swampy, Gulf port Southern while the other is a prairie-hardwood, middle America, four seasons Southern.

That's all I feel like typing right now. I'll probably tackle the rest later.
Huh? I get what you are saying about New Orleans, but I'd hardly use "pairie-hardwood, Middle America" to describe Memphis. If anything, Memphis is similar to Mississippi and Arkansas, and I wouldn't use those adjectives to describe those two either. Plus, Memphis doesn't have Great Plains, Mid-Western, Western, or Texas influence like Dallas does, so I don't think that's a very good example (no offense).

Old 07-07-2015, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mentallect View Post
Huh? I get what you are saying about New Orleans, but I'd hardly use "pairie-hardwood, Middle America" to describe Memphis. If anything, Memphis is similar to Mississippi and Arkansas, and I wouldn't use those adjectives to describe those two either. Plus, Memphis doesn't have Great Plains, Mid-Western, Western, or Texas influence like Dallas does, so I don't think that's a very good example (no offense).
Nor does New Orleans have the South Texas or Mexican influence of Houston. That's why I said it was almost like them in comparison.

Have you ever been to the Memphis area? It sits on the Mississippi Plain and there is prairie everywhere, especially in the western parts of the metro. A few more mature trees than you'll see in Dallas.

And what is this "Great Plains" influence in Dallas? How is this represented in the culture?

Old 07-07-2015, 06:19 PM

2,995 posts, read 3,100,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mega man View Post
Nor does New Orleans have the South Texas or Mexican influence of Houston. That's why I said it was almost like them in comparison.

Have you ever been to the Memphis area? It sits on the Mississippi Plain and there is prairie everywhere, especially in the western parts of the metro. A few more mature trees than you'll see in Dallas.

And what is this "Great Plains" influence in Dallas? How is this represented in the culture?
Man, do you even know what a prairie is? I was born and raised in Memphis so I don't need a geography or culture lesson about it (especially an incorrect one). I'll just agree to disagree with you, because I see where this is going. Have a good night.

Old 07-07-2015, 06:25 PM

20,514 posts, read 33,519,512 times
I definitely would not call anywhere in the Memphis area a prairie.

Old 07-07-2015, 06:53 PM

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Miss...Alluvial_Plain

Prairie being the patchwork open grasslands you find throughout the area; especially west of the river. Sure, it isn't a treeless prairie, but neither are the ones in Dallas originally. Both cities were located firmly in the cotton belt.

Here's a video which includes a drive through West Memphis. Go ahead and tell me how different from Dallas it looks.

https://youtu.be/p46ci_opQRc

Why are you always so combative, Mentallect? We're having a relaxed debate. Chill out, broheim.

Old 07-07-2015, 06:54 PM

13,384 posts, read 25,732,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
I definitely would not call anywhere in the Memphis area a prairie.
Thank you.

Dallas is on a Prarie, Memphis is not and yes I've spent ample time there.

Old 07-07-2015, 07:06 PM

Is someone going to tell me about the Great Plains influence in Dallas? Are there a lot of wheat farms in the area? Have herds of bison migrated to DFW or are cows and pigs still the dominant livestock like the rest of the South?

Old 07-07-2015, 07:28 PM

20,514 posts, read 33,519,512 times
Nobody said anything about Dallas being in the great plains. We said influence and it does. The Great Plains does indeed extend well into Texas. In fact, as far down close to the Rio Grande and it's not that far west of Dallas either. About 50 miles to the west. The Great Plains are to close to Dallas not to have an effect. And no, that drive doesn't remind me of the areas around DFW. If you're going to say grassy land, then any flat areas which are grassy are basically prairies.

Old 07-07-2015, 07:43 PM

7,228 posts, read 16,097,872 times
Yes, Dallas does have a more mid-western feel than Houston, I can't put my finger on it precisely but I thought Mega Man's metaphors suited Dallas and Houston well. But like others, I don't see it fitting Memphis.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City