Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Dallas vs. Houston
Dallas 127 64.80%
Houston 69 35.20%
Voters: 196. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2014, 07:09 AM

145 posts, read 200,175 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
I've only been to PA once. Is the heat that much different?
Less hot. More humid with more cloud cover and rain. Extreme southeast Texas doesnt really get that those dry SW winds that drive the temps well into the triple digits like most of TX.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2014, 07:19 AM

20,514 posts, read 33,519,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChazG View Post
Well I hate deflate your wishful thinking but it's probably better that Houston is not where PA is cause if that were the case Houston would have gotten F**ked up by hurricane Rita in 05... Just like New Orleans.
Yeah but Houston didn't escape Ike and Allison. Not saying they were worse than Rota but they were still bad enough.

Old 05-22-2014, 06:41 PM
JJG

13,612 posts, read 22,894,516 times
Quote:
Well I hate deflate your wishful thinking but it's probably better that Houston is not where PA is cause if that were the case Houston would have gotten F**ked up by hurricane Rita in 05... Just like New Orleans.
I'm pretty sure Houston could handle a major hurricane like that much better than New Orleans...

Old 05-22-2014, 10:16 PM

115 posts, read 145,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
Yeah but Houston didn't escape Ike and Allison. Not saying they were worse than Rota but they were still bad enough.
Ike wasn't as strong but it was costly. Almost 30 billion dollars in Tx alone as cat 2. Imagine if it was just as strong as Rita or Katrina. It would been costly like Katrina

Old 05-22-2014, 10:39 PM

115 posts, read 145,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJG View Post
I'm pretty sure Houston could handle a major hurricane like that much better than New Orleans...
Better but not by much. Aside from the humidity and sprawl, the only major knock on Houston is being in hurricane alley. Obviously, the last thing this area need is a major natural disaster to derail our economy. A major hurricane would definitely scare some businesses away for a while and have people thinking twice about moving here.

Old 05-23-2014, 11:41 AM

9,221 posts, read 15,949,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westhou View Post
I think I got it. So your saying that The Woodlands, Katy, Sugar Land, Pearland, and Baytown should be their own municipalities like Arlington, Carrollton, Richardson, Garland, Mesquite, Irving, and Grapevine.

I'm not sure why Houston's suburbs aren't their own municipalities. My best guess is that it's some kind of economic benefit to the City of Houston. The suburbs probably benefit from it somehow as well. Both setups probably have their costs and benefits.
Only The Woodlands isn't its own city there, just a township. What needs to happen is the unincorporated areas should ban together and form tiny cities. The problem with that is, Houston would probably never release the etj. Even if it did, the city has annexed many of the commercial/retail areas around the residential areas. So, if the unincorporated areas were to incorporate, then there would not be enough of a tax base to sustain a city without crazy high taxes on the residents. I don't really have a problem with how large the city limit is for Houston. I just don't like all of the unincorporated areas that can't even vote for a mayor and rely on the county and stretched out services for everything.

Old 05-23-2014, 06:32 PM
JJG

Quote:
Better but not by much. Aside from the humidity and sprawl, the only major knock on Houston is being in hurricane alley. Obviously, the last thing this area need is a major natural disaster to derail our economy. A major hurricane would definitely scare some businesses away for a while and have people thinking twice about moving here.
I'd hate to compare, but look at New York... 9/11 happened... it's a CONSTANT target for not only hurricanes, but man-made disasters. If some leader of another country has nukes and hates the U.S., which city do you think that person would aim for first?

You have to factor in all that, but people STILL go there, regardless. So I really don't think Houston would have too much issue. It's not like no city has its issues...

Old 05-23-2014, 06:59 PM

328 posts, read 471,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJG View Post
I'd hate to compare, but look at New York... 9/11 happened... it's a CONSTANT target for not only hurricanes, but man-made disasters. If some leader of another country has nukes and hates the U.S., which city do you think that person would aim for first?

You have to factor in all that, but people STILL go there, regardless. So I really don't think Houston would have too much issue. It's not like no city has its issues...
New York...it's a CONSTANT target for not only hurricanes

The only hurricane in memory to hit NYC was Sandy, and I'm older than hell. It was seen as a fluke. A terrible tragedy, but an aberration nonetheless. I believe in climate change, so it may happen again, but to say NYC is a "CONSTANT target" stretches credibility.

Here's a list from The Weather Channel on US cities most vulnerable and overdue for a major hurricane. Houston, by far, is the most populous city on the list.
10 Most Vulnerable and Overdue Hurricane Cities - weather.com

1. Tampa
2. Naples, FL
3. Jacksonville, FL
4. Honolulu
5. Houston
6. Savannah
7. Mobile, AL
8. Charleston, SC
9. Key West
10. Providence, RI

Houston's vaunted Texas Medical Center was devastated by a tropical storm, the costliest TS in United States history.

Allison left 22 dead and caused almost $5 billion in damage to Harris County alone.

1,000-Year Flood Paralyzes Texas Medical Center | Contractor content from Electrical Construction & Maintenance (EC&M) Magazine

Old 05-23-2014, 07:26 PM
JJG

Quote:
Originally Posted by casimpso View Post

The only hurricane in memory to hit NYC was Sandy, and I'm older than hell. It was seen as a fluke. A terrible tragedy, but an aberration nonetheless. I believe in climate change, so it may happen again, but to say NYC is a "CONSTANT target" stretches credibility.
I say "constant target" because it's right on the Atlantic.

Just like San Fran, L.A., San Diego, and Seattle are in the "Ring of Fire", they are also in danger of major catastrophes, even if they haven't happened yet...

Old 05-23-2014, 08:42 PM

6,870 posts, read 14,852,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by casimpso View Post

Here's a list from The Weather Channel on US cities most vulnerable and overdue for a major hurricane. Houston, by far, is the most populous city on the list.
10 Most Vulnerable and Overdue Hurricane Cities - weather.com

1. Tampa
2. Naples, FL
3. Jacksonville, FL
4. Honolulu
5. Houston
6. Savannah
7. Mobile, AL
8. Charleston, SC
9. Key West
10. Providence, RI

Houston's vaunted Texas Medical Center was devastated by a tropical storm, the costliest TS in United States history.

Allison left 22 dead and caused almost $5 billion in damage to Harris County alone.

1,000-Year Flood Paralyzes Texas Medical Center | Contractor content from Electrical Construction & Maintenance (EC&M) Magazine
I've lived in Houston for 25 years and the only storms that I remember experiencing are Tropical Storm Alison and Hurricane Ike. I don't feel like I'm under a constant threat of Hurricanes. They feel kind of rare to me. I often get the feeling that hurricanes miss us often by either going to the south of us near the Mexican border or east of us to Louisiana. We've probably had more snow events in Houston rather than Hurricanes lol. Or at least those were more memorable to me.

I hate Weather Channel lists. They are silly. To rank us above Key West seems absurd. Saying we are overdue means nothing. We could get hit by a category 4 or 5 hurricane next month or 200 years from now. No one can predict that. Just like when people say LA is overdue for "The Big One". It could happen tonight or 1,000 years from now. No one knows.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City