Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Dallas vs. Houston
Dallas 127 64.80%
Houston 69 35.20%
Voters: 196. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2014, 12:16 PM

6,290 posts, read 7,495,190 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairobi View Post
The only bully I see here is you, with your ad hom attacks based solely on the fact that I don't agree with you. If, in your mind, it makes me an "apologist" for not thinking that Houston is perfect and that we fall short in some areas, then so be it.

Since you're so convinced that there's something invalid at work here, what do you think the real reason is that many people say Dallas is nicer than Houston?
I will be the first to say Houston is not perfect and that it does fall short of its own potential, but it does not fall short in comparison to Dallas and that is what this thread is about.

As far as what many people think, Houston is falling victim to its own lack of indigenous media prowess allowing media entities outside of Houston to define not only Houston but to paint their own media base in rose colored glasses.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2014, 12:23 PM

420 posts, read 705,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Lance View Post
I will be the first to say Houston is not perfect and that it does fall short of its own potential, but it does not fall short in comparison to Dallas and that is what this thread is about.

As far as what many people think, Houston is falling victim to its own lack of indigenous media prowess allowing media entities outside of Houston to define not only Houston but to paint their own media base in rose colored glasses.

You don't think there are any areas at all where Houston might fall short of Dallas? Nothing? You can't think of a single thing that Dallas is better for?

Old 04-29-2014, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayStokes View Post
You don't think there are any areas at all where Houston might fall short of Dallas? Nothing? You can't think of a single thing that Dallas is better for?
I did not say that at all. This thread is very simply stated Dallas vs Houston and to me that is an overall comparison and in that vein I do not believe that Houston falls short in comparison to Dallas.

If we are to itemize all the various components of the two Metros I'm sure DFW will score higher in several areas

Old 04-29-2014, 12:47 PM

8,928 posts, read 14,332,358 times
Quote:

You're saying that I don't have the ability to think for myself. Are you denying that the lack of zoning can contribute to a less than attractive urban landscape?

Old 04-29-2014, 12:54 PM

420 posts, read 705,693 times
Quote:
I did not say that at all. This thread is very simply stated Dallas vs Houston and to me that is an overall comparison and in that vein I do not believe that Houston falls short in comparison to Dallas.

If we are to itemize all the various components of the two Metros I'm sure DFW will score higher in several areas

Except that that's rubbish. The poster you're arguing with has stated that he likes Houston better than Dallas overall, and has argued for Houston many times, and the majority of the time. And you know that already because it's been discussed 1000 times in the Texas forum. He was discussing with another poster one itemized component, like you said, and you attacked them both and accused them of being bullied into concession and apologists to Dallas posters.

Old 04-29-2014, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairobi View Post
You're saying that I don't have the ability to think for myself. Are you denying that the lack of zoning can contribute to a less than attractive urban landscape?
You asked me to address why "many" people think the way they do. I didn't say everybody but many people are influenced by the ambient media and not much more.

As far as what you think, only you know what brings you to certain conclusions, but I do know that you have a propensity to pick Houston apart when posting with people who are not so objective.

Houston's lack of zoning may make certain areas, such as freeway feeder roads look very cluttered, but hey, they are freeways, and are never going to be aesthetically appealing. Also remember that all that clutter will show up somewhere since zoning will not get rid of the market for those business's and services, will it? Be careful of what you wish for.

Lastly you have managed to once again make a Dallas vs Houston thread about Houston vs Houston zoning , congratulations With friends like you........

Old 04-29-2014, 01:45 PM

8,928 posts, read 14,332,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayStokes View Post
Except that that's rubbish. The poster you're arguing with has stated that he likes Houston better than Dallas overall, and has argued for Houston many times, and the majority of the time. And you know that already because it's been discussed 1000 times in the Texas forum. He was discussing with another poster one itemized component, like you said, and you attacked them both and accused them of being bullied into concession and apologists to Dallas posters.
It's impossible to please everyone on this forum. If I speak in favor in Houston, I'm being a homer, and now, apparently, I can't speak on a perceived flaw without being a conformist who can't make his own mind. Somehow, I'll always manage to be the bad guy.

Old 04-29-2014, 01:50 PM

3,530 posts, read 5,133,609 times
Quote:
You asked me to address why "many" people think the way they do. I didn't say everybody but many people are influenced by the ambient media and not much more.

As far as what you think, only you know what brings you to certain conclusions, but I do know that you have a propensity to pick Houston apart when posting with people who are not so objective.

Houston's lack of zoning may make certain areas, such as freeway feeder roads look very cluttered, but hey, they are freeways, and are never going to be aesthetically appealing. Also remember that all that clutter will show up somewhere since zoning will not get rid of the market for those business's and services, will it? Be careful of what you wish for.

Lastly you have managed to once again make a Dallas vs Houston thread about Houston vs Houston zoning , congratulations With friends like you........
I think Central Expressway in Dallas is a pretty attractive freeway.

Old 04-29-2014, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalparadise View Post
I think Central Expressway in Dallas is a pretty attractive freeway.
OK and Memorial Dr east of the park is actually a more attractive freeway without feeders, but the basic point is that "clutter" will migrate somewhere if you zone it off the freeways. Actually just get rid of the feeders and wa la the clutter will leave, but where will it go?????

Old 04-29-2014, 02:09 PM

3,530 posts, read 5,133,609 times
Quote:
OK and Memorial Dr east of the park is actually a more attractive freeway without feeders, but the basic point is that "clutter" will migrate somewhere if you zone it off the freeways. Actually just get rid of the feeders and wa la the clutter will leave, but where will it go?????
Oh, I understand what you are saying.

Memorial Drive is not a "freeway" though. It has stop lights. Plenty of freeways exist without feeders outside Texas. In those places, development happens in a more planned way, creating districts and neighborhoods, rather than linear stretches of growth.

When you push a lot of retail development up against a freeway, it's like declaring "this is for people passing through, not for residents." It looks cluttered and disorganized. It discourages walkable areas from growing up closer to residential areas, which are usually far away from freeways. It is a prime ingredient in sprawl.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City