Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: More of a pot destination?
Seattle 10 32.26%
Denver 21 67.74%
Voters: 31. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2014, 10:05 AM

5,993 posts, read 10,183,714 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2e1m5a View Post
Why is Seattle taking so long in implementing anything compared to Denver?
Just about every U.S. city is letting Seattle and Denver play with this legalization of pot and see how these two cities fare before making ANY moves themselves. I'm just glad there were places that didn't mind trying this social experiment, and for better or worse, deal with the outcomes of legalization.

It's WAY too soon to tell if this is a success or failure though. I've heard edible pot is killing people in Colorado, so it's hardly a squeaky clean endeavor so far, but also not an apocalypse like some thought it'd be.

I for one am a proponent of legalizing most drugs and confining users to special "bars" or their own homes, and utilizing the tax revenue to launch massive efforts to address addiction and drug abuse at a level similar to medical care. Afterall, addiction is a disease like any other, and is just as deadly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2014, 10:29 AM

17,916 posts, read 24,342,524 times
Pot tourism is bad for the legal and social status of cannabis.

The Netherlands has backpedalled on the idea of tolerance of marijuana sales on the pretext of social ills caused by annoying, irresponsible pot 'tourists'.

Old 04-21-2014, 10:30 AM

17,916 posts, read 24,342,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Min-Chi-Cbus View Post

It's WAY too soon to tell if this is a success or failure though. I've heard edible pot is killing people in Colorado, so it's hardly a squeaky clean endeavor so far,
You heard edible pot is killing people? Sounds legit.

Old 04-21-2014, 10:39 AM

11,998 posts, read 12,927,632 times
Quote:
Just about every U.S. city is letting Seattle and Denver play with this legalization of pot and see how these two cities fare before making ANY moves themselves. I'm just glad there were places that didn't mind trying this social experiment, and for better or worse, deal with the outcomes of legalization.

It's WAY too soon to tell if this is a success or failure though. I've heard edible pot is killing people in Colorado, so it's hardly a squeaky clean endeavor so far, but also not an apocalypse like some thought it'd be.

I for one am a proponent of legalizing most drugs and confining users to special "bars" or their own homes, and utilizing the tax revenue to launch massive efforts to address addiction and drug abuse at a level similar to medical care. Afterall, addiction is a disease like any other, and is just as deadly.
People seem to forget that marijuana is already a $40 Billion/year business and has been for quite some time-the #1 cash crop in the US. Hawaii, California and Kentucky grow the most weed and do not even have it legalized.

Once states/bureaucracies start to see how easy it is to bring in tax revenue policies will change rapidly. Like most things in The US, marijuana won't be legitimized until it's proven it makes money. Nothing else matters to the Government honestly, although I do agree with the idea of MJ bars and addiction programs for harder drugs. The industries that benefit from it's illegality and lobby for such will have to adapt or be run out of business.

Nobody has died directly from marijuana...ever. However, I did read a story about a foreign exchange student that ate an edible and fell from a balcony. Marijuana won't cure stupid (assuming there were no structural defects).

Old 04-21-2014, 02:51 PM

15 posts, read 17,485 times
Quote:

Well their is at least one thing we can be certain of......
The democrats have lost Colorado in the next presidential election !
The republicans will use this as a rallying cry

as for the Question
Since its only legal in Denver (Not Seattle) then......Denver

Old 04-21-2014, 04:03 PM

14,164 posts, read 27,220,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
You heard edible pot is killing people? Sounds legit.
One college student ate too much and jumped out of a hotel room to his death near where I live. Another man ate too much and ended up shooting his wife. Those are the only death incidents I've heard of in the local news.

From what I read, the issue is with inexperienced users, and possibly not enough explanation for use. I've never tried edibles, but apparently the effect takes a while to kick in, so users will keep eating more and more.

Old 04-21-2014, 04:07 PM

14,164 posts, read 27,220,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UNSC View Post

as for the Question

I doubt if pot legalization will have any affect on which presidential candidate Coloradans vote for. I would think the vote to legalize it would have been the "rallying cry" for Republicans. Obviously, a majority of voters here were for it being legal.

Old 04-22-2014, 03:22 PM

1,424 posts, read 1,936,877 times
Quote:

Cannabis itself has never killed anyone. A college student from WY jumped off of a hotel balcony, and a man near DU murdered his wife. Both consumed edibles earlier in the day, but to suggest that MJ alone caused the deaths is just repeating propaganda. The local news (and national) love the reefer madness angle, but violent reactions to baked goods is unheard of. In the case of the murder, a much more troubling component is the fact that a woman called the police saying her husband was threatening her and the kids with a gun, and it took them 15 minutes to show up, despite the fact that the family lived 1 mile from a substation. Of course DPD would rather talk about what was in his system (which included multiple prescription drugs), rather than their ridiculous response times. But please, refrain from saying that pot killed someone.

Interestingly, no one seems to be reporting the fact that tourism is up, and both property crime and violent crime rates in Denver are down since Jan 1.
Remember when legal marijuana was going to send crime skyrocketing? - Vox
It's too early to say that it's a success, but so far, the sky isn't falling; not even close.

The reason that CO implemented retail before WA has a lot to do with the fact that CO had a much more evolved system and regulatory framework in place compared to WA, and after passage of 64 the state and the industry immediately geared themselves up for the transition. Note that CO and WA will have completelydifferent systems for the setup of retail MJ. CO allowed existing dispensaries dibs at retail, and allows retailers to grow the product. WA on the other hand, had a lottery to decide who could get into the retail business, and requires distributors (middlemen).

So for now, I'd say that the answer to the question posed: Denver is the bigger pot tourism destination, for now-but not just because of the date of retail sales. On a commercial level, it's been a much more ingrained, noticeable part of the Mile High City for a while now.

Last edited by bartonizer; 04-22-2014 at 03:37 PM..

Old 04-22-2014, 08:30 PM

16,508 posts, read 26,288,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
Pot tourism is bad for the legal and social status of cannabis.

The Netherlands has backpedalled on the idea of tolerance of marijuana sales on the pretext of social ills caused by annoying, irresponsible pot 'tourists'.
That's because most countries will lock you up, and the Netherlands wouldn't. Duh.

Old 04-22-2014, 08:35 PM

2,011 posts, read 3,458,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UNSC View Post

as for the Question
Pot is legal is Seattle, the sale of pot just won't be officially legal unit June as distributors just received their licenses to sell.

Now I have to say Seattle is better pot tourism city. Our hempfest is only getting larger and larger combine that with a cool climate by the water to keep you mellow. Seattle is about the closet city to amersterdam in the US.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City