Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Where would you rather live?
Kansas City 61 39.35%
Portland 94 60.65%
Voters: 155. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2014, 10:24 AM

5,864 posts, read 15,237,207 times

Advertisements

I would much rather live in Portland. Its weather is much more to my liking. Dt Portland is one of the best and liviest. Nordstrom along with Macy's along with tons of great stores and restaurants. Public transportation is great. Cool interesting neighborhoods. Great nightlife and music scene. Much more compact and dense than Kansas City which I found surprisingly spreadout. Also natural beauty, excess to nature and weekend getaways including beach getaways is excellent around Portland.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2014, 02:10 PM

646 posts, read 926,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EnricoV View Post
It's cheaper to live in a rat-infested apartment than it is to live in a McMansion ... does that mean it's more preferable?
Its cheaper to live in Portland than many cities like NYC, SF, Seattle, San Diego, DC, Boston, etc.
Does that mean that Portland is rat infested and other cities are preferable? By your logic, it does.

Old 04-27-2014, 02:15 PM

69 posts, read 152,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
KC wins in BBQ

Portland everything else
Ditto

1000% Portland

Old 04-28-2014, 07:29 PM

124 posts, read 149,564 times
Portland wins for location, mild weather, low crime
KC wins for culture, nightlife and diversity

They both not bad, jus for different kinda people. I go with KC.

Last edited by staygully; 04-28-2014 at 08:20 PM..

Old 04-28-2014, 08:15 PM

8,975 posts, read 10,204,425 times
Wow, I'm actually quite surprised Kansas City is winning in this thread.

I didn't vote because I've never been to Portland, but here's my take on KC:

Kansas City is where I choose to make my home, but my decision to move here was heavily weighted in favor of my career. That being said, I have been pleasantly surprised by this city. First, I discovered I was definitely not the only transplant from California. Actually, I met 3 other people in my apartment complex that moved here from California within the past year.

The city does have some issues. One of the biggest is that there is a state line running through the metro, and affluent, conservative Johnson County, KS seems to like to poach jobs from Missouri. Kansas City would be so much more than it is right now if people could put aside petty differences and worked together for the benefit of the area as a whole. Public transportation is sorely lacking and light rail is as of now nonexistent thought it is currently in the works.

Diversity is wayyyy more apparent here than I expected. The City Market is really amazing. I can go to an authentic Italian Market, a Brazilian coffee shop, an Indian restaurant, a Chinese restaurant, a Turkish restaurant, and a typical KC bbq joint, all within a couple dozen feet of each other. And this is all bordered by a farmers' market every weekend. I was just completely floored when I first went. Never would have expected something like that in Kansas City.

My neighborhood, Westport, is amazing. It's the center of the gay community in KC, has a good amount of history, lots of phenomenal dining, decent density, walkability, nightlife, etc. I couldn't pick a better neighborhood to live in.

That being said, KC is very segregated. More of an East/West divide than North/South.... but it doesn't seem to bet as bad as a lot of other Midwest metros.

Mexican food is actually not bad here. Not SoCal but definitely passable.

Hilly topography. Not typical of the Midwest. Beautiful bluffs overlooking the river. Winters are pretty mild by Midwest standards. Summers seem to be pretty nasty on paper though haven't experienced it yet. Spring here has been phenomenal. Lovely temps in the mid-high seventies for a good 1.5 weeks this month.

Overall, KC is way better than I expected. It isn't a typical Midwest city. Still very Midwestern to be sure, but it is subject to other influences.

Old 04-28-2014, 08:23 PM

6,413 posts, read 12,140,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenlite View Post
Its cheaper to live in Portland than many cities like NYC, SF, Seattle, San Diego, DC, Boston, etc.
Does that mean that Portland is rat infested and other cities are preferable? By your logic, it does.
I offered no opinion, merely asked the question. You're inserting your own assumptions.

But if you want to know why I asked it, it was just because I find the criteria of "it's cheaper" to be a silly reason to say one place is preferable over another.

Old 04-28-2014, 08:25 PM

Quote:
I offered no opinion, merely asked the question. You're inserting your own assumptions.

But if you want to know why I asked it, it was just because I find the criteria of "it's cheaper" to be a silly reason to say one place is preferable over another.
Yea, u were tryin to be smart though. Cost of living is one of the actual good reasons people move for so its not a silly factor.

Old 04-28-2014, 08:29 PM
BMI

7,454 posts, read 7,268,346 times
How is KC winning?

Portland

Just Mt.Hood alone.....

Old 04-28-2014, 08:30 PM

6,413 posts, read 12,140,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by staygully View Post
Yea, u were tryin to be smart though. Cost of living is one of the actual good reasons people move for so its not a silly factor.
It might be a reason people choose to live somewhere, but that doesn't make that choice preferable. It makes it a compromise.

Old 04-28-2014, 08:32 PM

Quote:
It might be a reason people choose to live somewhere, but that doesn't make that choice preferable. It makes it a compromise.
Again, that means all these expensive cities are better than Portland then, which is not necessarily the case. NYC is the most expensive city in the country, and from what you said, it must be the best and what everyone would prefer if money wasnt the issue. That's not the case either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City