Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Where would you rather live?
Kansas City 61 39.35%
Portland 94 60.65%
Voters: 155. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2019, 09:50 PM

11,108 posts, read 23,876,006 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCrest182 View Post
Portland: Better city to visit
KC: Better city to live in

But that's just my opinion.
How so? I like Portland, but if you had 3-4 days to spend in each city, I personally think KC would have more to offer to a visitor. (now this is not including the amazing landscape that surrounds Portland which KC can't touch).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2019, 12:45 AM

1,606 posts, read 3,409,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by walker1962 View Post
Austin has a smaller black population than D/FW or Houston but so does San Antonio, so that doesn't make it unwelcoming to African-Americans. I'm black and have family and friends there and visit often. Austin's way before Portland has always had a reputation for liberalism. Also, Austin is more diverse. Portland is 85% white and 6% black. and 7% Asian. Austin is 77% white nearly 9% black but also has a significant latino population.
Not trying to steer the thread in a different direction, hijack it, or to take this off topic. I just want to point out one big point that you left out of this post. Austin is only 48% non-Hispanic white, 35% Hispanic/Latino, 8% black, 6% Asian. Less than half of Austin's population is caucasian.

So it may feel more welcoming for minorities overall when over half of the total population is part of a minority. Just wanted to throw that out there real quick.

Old 07-02-2019, 04:56 PM

142 posts, read 115,789 times
Both great cities, and so different in there own ways. One area where Portland is far ahead though is transportation. Loved how easy it was to get around there. KC imo has better big city amenities and Portland better recreation. If only it was possible to have Voodo and Q39 in the same day. Love both.

Old 07-08-2019, 10:52 PM

23,518 posts, read 23,995,040 times
Portland.

Old 07-08-2019, 11:18 PM

37,127 posts, read 39,349,217 times
I admire a lot of the older architecture and history of Kansas City and it has some truly beautiful architecture, but I really strongly value walkable neighborhoods and the ability to get around without driving and Portland right now has that over Kansas City by a decent margin at this point so I’m going with Kansas City.

Old 07-09-2019, 06:28 AM

6,772 posts, read 4,510,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post
Not totally irrelevant either.

These things move in cycles, as I trust you know.

And before you respond, no, the Portland of 2019 isn't the Portland of the 1920s either. But just as the South continues to deal with the "Confederates in the Attic," so do we in the rest of the country still have to deal with our ghosts. The extreme whiteness of Oregon (and a few other states in the Northwest, most notably Idaho, which has become something of a white-nationalist haven) is a residual product of that past, just as Kansas City's non-trivial black population is in part the legacy of Missouri having been a slave state. (However, in contrast to the states of the former Confederacy, Missouri did not ultimately disenfranchise its blacks post-Reconstruction - which didn't apply to the state anyway since it never seceded from the Union.)
You're completely blowing this WAY out of proportion. To perpetually drum over the exception and not the rule, chase phantoms (in most cases), and have a hyper-obsession with race is what keeps those "ghosts" alive. We're supposed to learn from our past sins, rectify them, and move on. Otherwise, there's no point to redemption. So your preoccupation with very marginal, uninfluential fringe groups that conveniently fit your preconceived narrative does nothing but create the very contention that you proclaim to abhor.

A group I noticed you did not mention that is creating unprovoked havoc pretty much unabated in Oregon (specifically Portland) at the present time is Antifa. But we won't split that hair

Old 07-10-2019, 06:01 AM

14,155 posts, read 9,043,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
I admire a lot of the older architecture and history of Kansas City and it has some truly beautiful architecture, but I really strongly value walkable neighborhoods and the ability to get around without driving and Portland right now has that over Kansas City by a decent margin at this point so I’m going with Kansas City.
(emphasis added)

Wait, what?

Seems that should have dictated a vote for Portland.

Old 07-10-2019, 07:02 AM

37,127 posts, read 39,349,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post
(emphasis added)

Wait, what?

Seems that should have dictated a vote for Portland.
Yes, I meant I’m going with Portland. Post is too old to edit—it wasn’t my intention to put us all on an emotional roller coaster.

Old 07-11-2019, 10:46 AM

2,304 posts, read 1,709,275 times
I'd go with Portland because it's an easier place to live without a car. It has better transit and is significantly more walkable overall.

Old 07-11-2019, 12:03 PM

2,752 posts, read 2,402,578 times
Portland- ANTIFA capitol
Kansas City- BBQ capitol

Hmmm.... think I'll go with KC here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City