Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Where would you rather live?
Kansas City 61 39.35%
Portland 94 60.65%
Voters: 155. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2019, 03:13 PM

37,127 posts, read 39,349,217 times

Advertisements

Portland vs St. Louis would be more exciting of a match-up, I think.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2019, 05:42 PM

127 posts, read 131,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Portland vs St. Louis would be more exciting of a match-up, I think.
Why?

Old 07-11-2019, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twan2001 View Post
Why?
Because I like St. Louis more.

Also, it has light rail and more walkable neighborhoods than Kansas City does.

Old 07-14-2019, 09:23 AM

90 posts, read 113,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JackLonsdale View Post
Oh gosh. Interesting comparison, but this one really isn't close. Portland is beginning to rival Seattle and Vancouver, BC as the most interesting and vibrant city in the Pacific Northwest. Kansas City is an oasis of culture and urbanity in the Great Plains, but it doesn't really hold a candle to any West Coast metro. Heck, it doesn't even compare to Denver.

Portland is emerging as a destination city. KC is a great place to live, but you wouldn't plan a vacation there unless you lived in driving distance.

Portland wins for airport, scenery, amenities, diversity, and urbanity. Kansas City wins for cultural heritage, American food (love that barbecue) and probably museums. But too much of KC is stuck in the 80s and 90s -- suburban sprawl, massive shopping malls, Johnson County, office parks off the freeway, an airport that's located 25 miles away, etc. A Portland Timbers game is a better fan experience than a Chiefs game at Arrowhead. The Pearl trumps the Plaza. Midwest cities are usual friendlier than West Coast cities, but Portland is as friendly as KC.

Two HUGE pluses for KC however are cost-of-living/real estate, and the weather. On those grounds, Portland is definitely the city to visit, but the two are tied in terms of where to live.
This just about sums it up. Though I do think you are hyping up Portland a little too much, Portland is definitely more of a "destination"

Old 07-15-2019, 08:44 AM

1,728 posts, read 1,889,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JackLonsdale View Post
Oh gosh. Interesting comparison, but this one really isn't close. Portland is beginning to rival Seattle and Vancouver, BC as the most interesting and vibrant city in the Pacific Northwest. Kansas City is an oasis of culture and urbanity in the Great Plains, but it doesn't really hold a candle to any West Coast metro. Heck, it doesn't even compare to Denver.

Portland is emerging as a destination city. KC is a great place to live, but you wouldn't plan a vacation there unless you lived in driving distance.

Portland wins for airport, scenery, amenities, diversity, and urbanity. Kansas City wins for cultural heritage, American food (love that barbecue) and probably museums. But too much of KC is stuck in the 80s and 90s -- suburban sprawl, massive shopping malls, Johnson County, office parks off the freeway, an airport that's located 25 miles away, etc. A Portland Timbers game is a better fan experience than a Chiefs game at Arrowhead. The Pearl trumps the Plaza. Midwest cities are usual friendlier than West Coast cities, but Portland is as friendly as KC.

Two HUGE pluses for KC however are cost-of-living/real estate, and the weather. On those grounds, Portland is definitely the city to visit, but the two are tied in terms of where to live.
It's been five years since this was Posted (page 1)

Is Portland = to Seattle Now?

Old 07-15-2019, 11:24 AM

11,108 posts, read 23,876,006 times
Why is Portland more worthy of a visit than KC? Neither are destination cities, although both or worthy of a visit. All things considered, they are pretty even. The only reason Portland would pull ahead is the region of the country it's in. The PAC is just better than the Midwest. Seattle is right down the road, KC has pretty much nothing to see once you leave the metro.

Old 07-15-2019, 12:10 PM

676 posts, read 647,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueRedTide View Post
It's been five years since this was Posted (page 1)

Is Portland = to Seattle Now?
Not even close to either Seattle or Vancouver, though I think it's more that those two cities have taken off rather than Portland has slowed down.

Old 07-15-2019, 12:52 PM

7,108 posts, read 8,962,208 times
Although I love KC, I give this one to Portland. It's an all around healthier city.

Old 07-15-2019, 05:19 PM

2,041 posts, read 1,520,876 times
Portland Maine

Old 07-17-2019, 06:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmo View Post
Why is Portland more worthy of a visit than KC? Neither are destination cities, although both or worthy of a visit. All things considered, they are pretty even. The only reason Portland would pull ahead is the region of the country it's in. The PAC is just better than the Midwest. Seattle is right down the road, KC has pretty much nothing to see once you leave the metro.
Yea, I do think the two cities are fairly evenly matched. I think a shorter trip might favor Kansas City for me as I like museums and KC seems to have the better ones as well as a much better collection of historic and monumental architecture.

It’d be nice if Kansas City greatly improved its mass transit network and if the Missouri River Runner service were more frequent and extended to Lawrence and Topeka.

Last edited by OyCrumbler; 07-17-2019 at 06:46 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City