Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2014, 08:43 AM

15,323 posts, read 23,909,459 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayp1188 View Post
They're about equal. In my opinion, NYC, LA, and Miami are pretty much the only places that are noticeably more fashionable than the rest of the large metropolitan areas in the US. Whether you're in Chicago, Minneapolis, DC, Seattle, SF, Atlanta, etc, people are equally fashionable.
I think you need to get out more if you truly believe this. I've been around, fashion between metro areas does vary for sure. They are definitely not all the same in the least.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2014, 11:58 AM

5,977 posts, read 13,115,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
I think you need to get out more if you truly believe this. I've been around, fashion between metro areas does vary for sure. They are definitely not all the same in the least.
Everyone has different perceptions that lead to different opinions. One can, even with no bias or axe to grind can see the same thing and still come up with a different viewpoint.

That is his opinion, and it happens to be one I agree with. And its OK if you don't. We can agree to disagree.

Old 05-15-2014, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex?Il? View Post
Everyone has different perceptions that lead to different opinions. One can, even with no bias or axe to grind can see the same thing and still come up with a different viewpoint.

That is his opinion, and it happens to be one I agree with. And its OK if you don't. We can agree to disagree.

Of course you can, but there's also something called an informed decision. I have been around this country to pretty much every state and most major metro areas. It's fine if you disagree with me of course, but based on my own experience with being on the road at one point in my life and paying attention to this, there's big differences with how people dress.

IMO fashion is a more regional thing with an exception or two in every region.

Old 05-15-2014, 08:23 PM

4,576 posts, read 9,160,255 times
Hipster fashion in 2014, is what hippy fashion was in 1974.

Mainstream, corporate, irrelivant, and basic.

What do you streotype a 20something from whitopia to look like?

Skinny jeans, buddy holly shades, pf flyers, and a flannel.SO BASIC.

Like a chick with flowers and bell-bottoms in 74...BASIC.

Cutting edge is not hipster, normcore is the new cutting edge and will be the mainstream in 10years.

Its already gaining steam in skateboard fashion in la, and fashion circles in nyc.

So in that sense, minneapolis is really more bland and conformist, than anything else. Dressing in fashion found at urban outfitters, lol.

Minneapolis is not sf, where hipster fashion gained steam 10 years ago, they are followers.

Old 05-16-2014, 04:08 PM

1,912 posts, read 2,088,385 times
Come on. You know that's BS. You do realize that you sound completely unaware and out of touch with reality, right? San Francisco did not birth "hipster" fashion, nor were Minneapolitans traipsing around in 90s anti-fashion in 2004 like the zombie cast of Seinfeld.

I'm assuming you're new to the adult world and thus think fashion didn't exist before you came along. Or, maybe you have some sort of bizarre notion that the Midwest exists in an alternate universe two years behind the rest of the world. Whatever the case, you're misinformed.

I was working as a freshly-out-of-college graphic designer for a Twin Cities arts/culture magazine in 2004, and believe me, people here knew precisely what was going on in the world of style and fashion. We wouldn't have had a customer base and I wouldn't have had a job if that weren't true. We do not live in caves; whatever was trending elsewhere was also trending here. The quirky "cool nerd" hipster phenomenon had already begun to take shape here by then.

If anything, the extreme nature of our climate inspires winter fashion trends that one would never, ever see in other parts of the country. Where else in the country can people dressing for -40ºF wind chills in January be done sensibly, let alone fashionably? You almost have to go to Moscow to find that kind of outerwear outside of the Upper Midwest.

Old 05-26-2014, 02:50 AM

15,408 posts, read 6,193,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
I really love the ignorance of Minneapolis here. Love the city. Absolutely love it - grew up very close to it, but don't make it into something it's not. One of the funniest things is trying to say that Minneapolis is known for its health and work out. If you told the average resident of Minnesota especially around that area, they'd look at you weirdly. It's not FAT (while there are plenty of fat people in the metro area), but it's not known for being extremely active either - pretty much in the middle for everything regarding that. The diet of a typical person in the metro area is not overly healthy either. Regarding fashion - I've NEVER seen anything in Minneapolis that I've never seen in Chicago, but I have seen plenty of things in Chicago that I've NEVER seen in Minneapolis.

Again, great medium sized city but don't make it into something it's not, but I know nothing considering I grew up right there and am there multiple times per year and around town with friends.
Men's Fitness rated Minneapolis 7th fittest and Chicago 17th fittest. [url]www.mensfitness.com/life/outdoor/2014-fittest-and-fattest-cities-america-list.

Being 7th is hardly "in the middle". I will forward your objections to Men's Fitness magazine (kidding).

Old 05-26-2014, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chessgeek View Post
Men's Fitness rated Minneapolis 7th fittest and Chicago 17th fittest. [url]www.mensfitness.com/life/outdoor/2014-fittest-and-fattest-cities-america-list.

Being 7th is hardly "in the middle". I will forward your objections to Men's Fitness magazine (kidding).
Furthermore, I think I have enough class to say someone is merely mistaken in regards to their erroneous statement about Minneapolis fitness, rather than ignorant. Minneapolis has made too many top ten lists on activities like bicycling, winter sports and overall fitness to be mentioned briefly and usually is first or second place (sometimes to Madison) where the Midwest is concerned.

There is no need to do blanket smears by calling people who have the audacity to compliment their own city as ignorant. There will seldom be 100% agreement here on city data and those of us that are rational, respectful adults realize that and this topic is frankly not worth getting hostile with others over.

This is not exactly the most critical issue out there anyways (compared to education, crime, etc). People should be able to share their perspective without being blanket smeared with such an insult. Those types of insults only reveal the maturity level of the person stating them and nothing else. I'll get off the soap box now. That is my two cents.

Everyone, have a nice Memorial Day!

Last edited by chessgeek; 05-26-2014 at 12:54 PM..

Old 05-26-2014, 01:51 PM

4,675 posts, read 7,398,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chessgeek View Post
Furthermore, I think I have enough class to say someone is merely mistaken in regards to their erroneous statement about Minneapolis fitness, rather than ignorant. Minneapolis has made too many top ten lists on activities like bicycling, winter sports and overall fitness to be mentioned briefly and usually is first or second place (sometimes to Madison) where the Midwest is concerned.

There is no need to do blanket smears by calling people who have the audacity to compliment their own city as ignorant. There will seldom be 100% agreement here on city data and those of us that are rational, respectful adults realize that and this topic is frankly not worth getting hostile with others over.

This is not exactly the most critical issue out there anyways (compared to education, crime, etc). People should be able to share their perspective without being blanket smeared with such an insult. Those types of insults only reveal the maturity level of the person stating them and nothing else. I'll get off the soap box now. That is my two cents.

Everyone, have a nice Memorial Day!
I think what really drove the most ire was the comment that Mpls is one of the fittest cities and Chicago one of the fattest. In reality, they are much closer to one another than people would imagine. However, none of it speaks to which is more fashionable.

Old 05-26-2014, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maintainschaos View Post
I think what really drove the most ire was the comment that Mpls is one of the fittest cities and Chicago one of the fattest. In reality, they are much closer to one another than people would imagine. However, none of it speaks to which is more fashionable.
I guess one person did say that about Chicago. Then he should have directed it to that one person instead of to all pro-Minneapolis posters. You are right in your last sentence and it is time to redirect the thread back to fashion. I have no further comment on this anyways as there are too many more important topics being discussed on city data IMHO.

Old 05-27-2014, 04:13 PM

Yes perhaps a little misleading for what I said. What I mean was that people work out a lot in Minnesota, but they aren't necessarily super health friendly with their diets, on average. I have/had many friends who worked out all the time and you'd still see them eating burgers, fries, chicken tenders, etc etc all the time. Many restaurants that aren't necessarily amazingly HEALTHY. Minneapolis has some of the health nut stuff going on for sure, but the city isn't overly healthy like some you'd find to the level out west sometimes. The amount of working out and diet type of stuff isn't really that much different than Chicago I've found.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City