Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2014, 09:08 PM

15,323 posts, read 23,909,459 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonnieJonez View Post
While this might be a simple way of looking at it, outside each cities respective hipster neighrborhoods, a guy above 24 is going to encounter more stares doing the "jeans in boots/high tops" in Chicago than in Minneapolis. When a younger guy does it, it's just seen as one of those things that young people do opposed to a current trend at the moment by the status quo.

Neither are LA, where this sort of thing is normal and no one thinks twice about it, but Minneapolis is closer to it.
Bull **** - I see this all the time in Chicago these days. Not that they're 50 years old, but clearly above 24 (usually between 25 and 35). I saw a guy probably around 30 in an outfit this weekend that had shiny streamers (or something) coming out all over - the guy was on something strong. Nobody even looked twice at him. I was talking to someone who moved to Chicago from NYC 2 years ago tonight who works in the art world who told me she's even seen a change today in this stuff now versus when she first moved to Chicago only 2 years ago. By the way she was in the middle on Chicago and basically gushed about LA and how cool it is, but she could even see the change that's happening with this in Chicago in the short period she's lived here.

I know what your stance is on all of this and you never cease to have old opinions of a city that is actually rapidly changing in some areas with some of its culture. Parts of the city, especially with fashion, are even noticeably different than when I moved here 5 years ago. No, it's not LA, but if you think that Minneapolis is completely fine with this stuff while Chicago is not then you are behind the times.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2014, 09:11 PM

5,976 posts, read 13,115,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefox View Post
Agreed. I never realized how flamboyantly Americans dressed until I went to Europe.
depends on where in Europe I guess. Have you ever stepped foot in Italy, Spain, or London?

Old 05-12-2014, 09:15 PM

5,976 posts, read 13,115,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago60614 View Post
Minneapolis is 55 square miles, which is basically like the central area of Chicago and over to Pilson, near west, the hispter areas northwest of downtown and then along the north lakefront. That area of Chicago is probably going to be the most fashionable on many different levels, and is larger than Minneapolis in square miles and has multiple times the population.

It gets to be apples to oranges due to the large differences in square miles and the actual populations we're talking about. Get out of the fairly small core in Minneapolis and you have the mile after mile of suburbs with fairly "midwestern" people if that's even a thing.

I've been to Minn a lot and live in Chicago. They both have fashion and they both have dull dressed, etc. Like most anywhere. The people look fairly similar except for Chicago's increased diversity of the population. All that said, I would say Chicago has more fashion just based on the fact the sheet number of people living in the downtown areas, Hyde Park, hipsterville, the north lakefront, etc. overwhelm the amount of people in Minneapolis' more fashion-conscious areas.
True. In fact I even found another interesting website, with the "50 most beautiful Chicagoans"

Now "beautiful" may not be synonymous with fashionable. But they are associated. Many people can be "beautiful" if they put a little effort in.

But they patterns where these people live most definitely correlate, with the fashionable sections of Chicago, even if these are merely anecdotes, they would match ones experience walking around.

Not suprisingly, Gold Coast seems to be the most common neighborhood popping up. Followed by maybe Wicker Park I think.

http://www.chicagomag.com/Chicago-Ma...ul-Chicagoans/

Old 05-12-2014, 09:20 PM

1,911 posts, read 3,753,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
Bull **** - I see this all the time in Chicago these days. Not that they're 50 years old, but clearly above 24 (usually between 25 and 35). I saw a guy probably around 30 in an outfit this weekend that had shiny streamers (or something) coming out all over - the guy was on something strong. Nobody even looked twice at him. I was talking to someone who moved to Chicago from NYC 2 years ago tonight who works in the art world who told me she's even seen a change today in this stuff now versus when she first moved to Chicago only 2 years ago. By the way she was in the middle on Chicago and basically gushed about LA and how cool it is, but she could even see the change that's happening with this in Chicago in the short period she's lived here.

I know what your stance is on all of this and you never cease to have old opinions of a city that is actually rapidly changing in some areas with some of its culture. Parts of the city, especially with fashion, are even noticeably different than when I moved here 5 years ago. No, it's not LA, but if you think that Minneapolis is completely fine with this stuff while Chicago is not then you are behind the times.
As usual, your material is too ridiculous to address.

Just the fact you remember what the guy was wearing - is proof things haven't changed in Chicago. They won't, the midwest is a certain way and it will always be that way.

Old 05-12-2014, 09:30 PM

Quote:
As usual, your material is too ridiculous to address.

Just the fact you remember what the guy was wearing - is proof things haven't changed in Chicago. They won't, the midwest is a certain way and it will always be that way.
Are you serious? You think that because I remembered what a guy was wearing that it somehow means that things haven't changed? Sorry to say it, but I remember what everyone wears no matter how boring or exciting it is. That's who I am - it doesn't mean that things haven't changed. These things aren't even related but you tried to relate them because you couldn't think of another way to logically address it in your head because you have an agenda where you think that you can talk about a city you lived in 15 years ago and think it hasn't changed one bit since then.

If you think that a guy basically covered head to neck in reflective streamers so much that it looked like a reflective chicken outfit wouldn't get people to remember what he was wearing in pretty much any city in the world on a non-holiday in the middle of the day walking down a normal street and not advertising anything, then you're on ****ing crack.

Old 05-12-2014, 09:32 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,490,401 times
Chicago - 2 million people means 2 million different outfits.
Minneapolis at almost 400,000 doesn't at all come close.... lol.

Old 05-12-2014, 09:44 PM

Quote:
Are you serious? You think that because I remembered what a guy was wearing that it somehow means that things haven't changed? Sorry to say it, but I remember what everyone wears no matter how boring or exciting it is. That's who I am - it doesn't mean that things haven't changed. These things aren't even related but you tried to relate them because you couldn't think of another way to logically address it in your head because you have an agenda where you think that you can talk about a city you lived in 15 years ago and think it hasn't changed one bit since then.

If you think that a guy basically covered head to neck in reflective streamers so much that it looked like a reflective chicken outfit wouldn't get people to remember what he was wearing in pretty much any city in the world on a non-holiday in the middle of the day walking down a normal street and not advertising anything, then you're on ****ing crack.
Blagojevich was still governor when I lived there, not 15 years ago. Try 6 years ago.

I've been back to visit on a few occasions (even in the past year), it's the exact same.

Some of the Europeans in Chicago do dress well, but Chicago overall is more like the rest of the midwest than NYC or LA in terms of fashion. You can disagree all you want, I'm sure you will.

Old 05-12-2014, 09:46 PM

Quote:
Blagojevich was still governor when I lived there, not 15 years ago. Try 6 years ago.

I've been back to visit on a few occasions (even in the past year), it's the exact same.

Some of the Europeans in Chicago do dress well, but Chicago overall is more like the rest of the midwest than NYC or LA in terms of fashion. You can disagree all you want, I'm sure you will.
I've lived here 5 years and in the 5 years I've been here, this scene has changed, especially the most in the last 2.5 to 3 years. 5 years ago, the types of fashions you would see on the street were a lot more constrained with Men's fashion (women's fashion in Chicago has been ahead of guys for sure) and I'll agree with you on that. Today - it's a noticeable difference. I see way more styles on the streets today than I did even when I moved here 5 years ago. Even the suits that guys are wearing (usually below 40) you will see a bigger variety and not classic, boring suits. And again, the lady I was talking to tonight who works in the art world for something prominent who doesn't love Chicago and LOVES LA, even noticed it and has only been here for 2 years. Let me put it this way, even 4 years ago, I would have never thought about wearing colored pants around. Today, I do it quite a bit and I'm not even close to the only guy doing so. Nobody has ever said anything to me and I've never gotten a weird look either. I will even wear it to work at a professional white collar desk job, and nobody has ever told me to wear slacks, khakis, or normal jeans.

The guys in Chicago are becoming more conscious of how they dress and women are basically demanding that guys know how to dress at least a little bit if they want to go out with one another.

I never once said that Chicago is like NYC or LA in fashion. I said it's getting better than it has been in the last small handful of years, and it's ahead of Minneapolis for sure. There is a BIG difference between those things. If you think I was comparing Chicago to LA or NYC for fashion then you're flat out wrong. All I said was that it's gotten better very rapidly and semi recently and is ahead of Minneapolis. If somehow you think that translates to something about being better than LA or NYC, then you're impossible to "converse" with.

Last edited by marothisu; 05-12-2014 at 09:57 PM..

Old 05-12-2014, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex?Il? View Post
Not suprisingly, Gold Coast seems to be the most common neighborhood popping up. Followed by maybe Wicker Park I think.

50 Most Beautiful Chicagoans | Chicago magazine | March 2011
If I had to choose the most fashionable areas of Chicago, it would be Gold Coast, River North, Streeterville, West Loop, South Loop, Wicker Park, Ukrainian Village/East Ukrainian Village/Noble Square, Wicker Park, Pilsen, Logan Square, and maybe Bucktown too, and a little bit of both Avondale and Bridgeport. You'll also find it in pockets in Lakeview East/Boystown and sometimes in the eastern portions of small areas of Edgewater and Lincoln Park though not nearly as much as other areas.

By the way from that article, Gold Coast is tops with 6, followed by Wicker Park with 5, then West Town (which in this case would be UK Village and those areas) with 4, then West Loop with 3. Streeterville, River North, South Loop, Bucktown, Old Town, Roscoe Village, and Oak Park each have 2. I'd definitely say that's mainly in line with what I've seen especially the top 4 or so.

Old 05-12-2014, 10:45 PM

Quote:
I've lived here 5 years and in the 5 years I've been here, this scene has changed, especially the most in the last 2.5 to 3 years. 5 years ago, the types of fashions you would see on the street were a lot more constrained with Men's fashion (women's fashion in Chicago has been ahead of guys for sure) and I'll agree with you on that. Today - it's a noticeable difference. I see way more styles on the streets today than I did even when I moved here 5 years ago. Even the suits that guys are wearing (usually below 40) you will see a bigger variety and not classic, boring suits. And again, the lady I was talking to tonight who works in the art world for something prominent who doesn't love Chicago and LOVES LA, even noticed it and has only been here for 2 years. Let me put it this way, even 4 years ago, I would have never thought about wearing colored pants around. Today, I do it quite a bit and I'm not even close to the only guy doing so. Nobody has ever said anything to me and I've never gotten a weird look either. I will even wear it to work at a professional white collar desk job, and nobody has ever told me to wear slacks, khakis, or normal jeans.

The guys in Chicago are becoming more conscious of how they dress and women are basically demanding that guys know how to dress at least a little bit if they want to go out with one another.

I never once said that Chicago is like NYC or LA in fashion. I said it's getting better than it has been in the last small handful of years, and it's ahead of Minneapolis for sure. There is a BIG difference between those things. If you think I was comparing Chicago to LA or NYC for fashion then you're flat out wrong. All I said was that it's gotten better very rapidly and semi recently and is ahead of Minneapolis. If somehow you think that translates to something about being better than LA or NYC, then you're impossible to "converse" with.
Having been to Minneapolis as well in the past year, can agree to disagree. It's definitely closer to LA in terms of fashion (men & women) than Chicago is.

Not sure this is relevant, but there's a specific kind of "glamour-meets-grunge" hipster (although they aren't true hipsters in the sense most would think) you generally only see in LA for the most part, neither Chicago or Minneapolis has many of those, but it's definitely more common in Minneapolis.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City