Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2014, 12:00 PM

5,977 posts, read 13,117,372 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nafster View Post
So then this Minneapolis vs. Chicago argument should be a pointless discussion (as per my original thought) because both are in the Midwest and held down by these societal "rules" that you keep on bringing up (which are bizarrely being tied into gay stereotypes). I've never experienced this when I lived in Chicago at all. Gay and straight men both are expected to look nice, hip, and presentable or their chances at careers and dating are hindered. It's a generational expectation, and like you said, these are not small towns.

I guess being more fashionable is different than being a better place for fashion. In both regards, I think Chicago is clearly the victor (though Minneapolis would be #2 most likely in the Midwest). I don't know how anyone would argue that Minneapolis is better in both departments.
Because Chicago is a bigger city and has certain areas that are rather iconic, such as the extensive far NW and far SW sides where you have the cop/Chicago accent/white Catholic culture which is more "macho" than perhaps anything in the city limits of Minneapolis, (again which is rather small).

I think if Chicago got rid of the requirement of city employees to live in the city limits this might change drastically.

Also, because Chicagoans despite the fact that it has a cosmopolitan and fashionable scene much larger than Minneapolis, Chicago can perhaps get more passionate about sports. And since the stadiums are so accessible by public transit, with so many bars, the sports fans in their sports perhaps bring a flood of rowdiness anytime theres a game day?

Minneapolis' sports stadiums might be a little more car/parking lot oriented and "everyone goes home after the game" and so don't hang around and bring the "yahoo" element.

Its these "Chicago institutions" might be the reasons why.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2014, 12:14 PM

1,911 posts, read 3,753,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nafster View Post
So then this Minneapolis vs. Chicago argument should be a pointless discussion (as per my original thought) because both are in the Midwest and held down by these societal "rules" that you keep on bringing up (which are bizarrely being tied into gay stereotypes). I've never experienced this when I lived in Chicago at all. Gay and straight men both are expected to look nice, hip, and presentable or their chances at careers and dating are hindered. It's a generational expectation, and like you said, these are not small towns.

I guess being more fashionable is different than being a better place for fashion. In both regards, I think Chicago is clearly the victor (though Minneapolis would be #2 most likely in the Midwest). I don't know how anyone would argue that Minneapolis is better in both departments.
Minneapolis is also known for having a strong fitness culture, Chicago is the exact opposite (of course there's fitness there but the culture is different and can be too fascinated with food). You won't see Minneapolis on a fattest city list, yet Chicago consistently makes those lists.

It shouldn't be controversial if someone believes Minneapolis is overall, more fashionable than Chicago. Sometimes the "Chicago rules the midwest" in every aspect mentality can be a bit insufferable. This mentality is so embedded there that it's not even up for debate.

Old 05-13-2014, 01:10 PM

1,312 posts, read 2,168,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonnieJonez View Post
You won't see Minneapolis on a fattest city list, yet Chicago consistently makes those lists.
Where are these lists? I can't ever remember Chicago on a top 10 fattest list. You seriously are just making sht up.

Keep in mind that generally inner city (AKA, minority) areas are the "fattest" in every metro, and Chicago is only 31% white vs. Minneapolis at 71% white. This "Minneapolis is simply the hhhealthy metro" garbage is a chimera ignoring racial make-up and many other factors.

Old 05-13-2014, 01:36 PM

4,675 posts, read 7,400,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CowsAndBeer View Post
Where are these lists? I can't ever remember Chicago on a top 10 fattest list. You seriously are just making sht up.

Keep in mind that generally inner city (AKA, minority) areas are the "fattest" in every metro, and Chicago is only 31% white vs. Minneapolis at 71% white. This "Minneapolis is simply the hhhealthy metro" garbage is a chimera ignoring racial make-up and many other factors.
There's actually some stats here that show very minimal differences between the two metro areas in terms of healthy weight, overweight, and obese individuals:

Obesity Rates for States, Metro Areas

Last edited by Maintainschaos; 05-13-2014 at 02:04 PM..

Old 05-13-2014, 02:48 PM

15,323 posts, read 23,913,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maintainschaos View Post
There's actually some stats here that show very minimal differences between the two metro areas in terms of healthy weight, overweight, and obese individuals:

Obesity Rates for States, Metro Areas

Chicago isn't the healthiest city but it's taken some serious strides and you will find a lot of healthy eating options, gyms, and yoga/pilates in the city (and of course other physical activities) right now. You aren't going to find tons of "DA BEARS" types of people around in popular neighborhoods - mainly in those cop-centric neighborhoods near the burbs and a few of the burbs themselves. Not really different from most other major metro areas though.

Old 05-13-2014, 02:56 PM

11,289 posts, read 26,189,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex?Il? View Post
Because Chicago is a bigger city and has certain areas that are rather iconic, such as the extensive far NW and far SW sides where you have the cop/Chicago accent/white Catholic culture which is more "macho" than perhaps anything in the city limits of Minneapolis, (again which is rather small).

I think if Chicago got rid of the requirement of city employees to live in the city limits this might change drastically.

Also, because Chicagoans despite the fact that it has a cosmopolitan and fashionable scene much larger than Minneapolis, Chicago can perhaps get more passionate about sports. And since the stadiums are so accessible by public transit, with so many bars, the sports fans in their sports perhaps bring a flood of rowdiness anytime theres a game day?

Minneapolis' sports stadiums might be a little more car/parking lot oriented and "everyone goes home after the game" and so don't hang around and bring the "yahoo" element.

Its these "Chicago institutions" might be the reasons why
You've been pretty passionate about your distaste for and very prejudice against the "big ten frat scene", "old school blue-collar", "macho" types when talking about Chicago. Just curious where it all stems from. You seem to present very clear points and make a lot of sense, but it's hard to get past the fact you have a really big problem with young, white kids that went to college (big ten mostly) and then live in Chicago and enjoy the bar scenes on the north side and sports. That's totally fine, just curious the reason. Did you have run ins with guys like that when you lived here or in high school, etc?

I use to hang out at those bars a lot, and went to U of Iowa. Most of my friends were Big 10 grads and we always had a really good time in Chicago going out. That said though, I mean I'm gay, most of my friends were very smart, nerdy at times and very down to earth and good people that cared a lot and worked hard, into politics, into fashion, obviously had a life outside Wrigleyville, etc. They liked their sports and drinking a lot and partying, but it's not this end-all type thing where the person is some obnoxious meathead as*hole cause he went to U of Illinois, lives in Lakeview and loves going out in Wrigleyville. You point out all the diversity elsewhere and in LA and around areas of Chicago, but it's such a negative and belittling vibe when it turns to that one aspect of Chicago's transplants.

Old 05-13-2014, 03:18 PM

6,208 posts, read 9,207,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
Same thing in parts of Italy. You will see some people wearing color but for example in Rome, most people are wearing black/dark gray often.
As in France I bet, particularly Paris. It seems that Europe has a strong ethos towards minimalist fashion. I have a similar taste towards minimalist fashion, however, I have been trying to brighten my color patterns more often lately over the last couple of years. So far, so good It looks like the UK, or at least London, seem to dress a little more colorful and flamboyantly than their mainland European counterparts to me.

Old 05-13-2014, 03:29 PM

15,323 posts, read 23,913,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcave360 View Post
As in France I bet, particularly Paris. It seems that Europe has a strong ethos towards minimalist fashion. I have a similar taste towards minimalist fashion, however, I have been trying to brighten my color patterns more often lately over the last couple of years. So far, so good It looks like the UK, or at least London, seem to dress a little more colorful and flamboyantly than their mainland European counterparts to me.
Yep. Some parts of Europe are more out there, but some are very minimalistic - which is what I like too. i do wear color, but it's not what I'd call flamboyant really. I mix it up though between the two. Probably one of the few reasons people thought I was from Rome when I was visiting there the other month. But there's a number of European cities that are very minimalistic for sure.

Old 05-13-2014, 06:05 PM

5,977 posts, read 13,117,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago60614 View Post
You've been pretty passionate about your distaste for and very prejudice against the "big ten frat scene", "old school blue-collar", "macho" types when talking about Chicago. Just curious where it all stems from. You seem to present very clear points and make a lot of sense, but it's hard to get past the fact you have a really big problem with young, white kids that went to college (big ten mostly) and then live in Chicago and enjoy the bar scenes on the north side and sports. That's totally fine, just curious the reason. Did you have run ins with guys like that when you lived here or in high school, etc?

I use to hang out at those bars a lot, and went to U of Iowa. Most of my friends were Big 10 grads and we always had a really good time in Chicago going out. That said though, I mean I'm gay, most of my friends were very smart, nerdy at times and very down to earth and good people that cared a lot and worked hard, into politics, into fashion, obviously had a life outside Wrigleyville, etc. They liked their sports and drinking a lot and partying, but it's not this end-all type thing where the person is some obnoxious meathead as*hole cause he went to U of Illinois, lives in Lakeview and loves going out in Wrigleyville. You point out all the diversity elsewhere and in LA and around areas of Chicago, but it's such a negative and belittling vibe when it turns to that one aspect of Chicago's transplants.
Childhood issues. I got picked past for teams in gym, etc. While I did play park district soccer growing up in elementary and middle school and got decent at it after seven years, I was never in little league, football, etc. and never really learning those sports can really affect you as an adult. I can really leave you with a lot of insecurities that are hard to shake even into your 30s.

In a social situation of serious sports fans, as an adult, it brings back feelings of being a runt of the litter, gives me that doubting that almost makes me understand what someone autistic must feel (maybe an exaggeration) and its my own little self therapy, and confidence-boosting to suggest that there is actually something to belittle.

However, one thing I was always passionate about, great at, and gives me tons of self confidence, is outdoor recreation, exploring wild nature through hiking, etc.

This is why its perfect for my mental health to be in western cities where hiking in mountains, visiting national parks is something done by a larger % of the population (including just as much by people who are minorities, and where sports teams are followed closely by a lower % of people.

I lead hikes for meetup groups, and it fills me with self confidence when I get a turnout of cute women of all different backgrounds (white, ethnic Caucasian, Asian, African American, and Hispanic) coming to my scheduled hikes and other outdoor adventure.. Back in Chicago, I never thought So, people (particularly women) of minority status like the same stuff I do, and therefore validate me, it really makes me feel on top of the world.

Old 05-13-2014, 06:25 PM

4,576 posts, read 9,160,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex?Il? View Post
Childhood issues. I got picked past for teams in gym, etc. While I did play park district soccer growing up in elementary and middle school and got decent at it after seven years, I was never in little league, football, etc. and never really learning those sports can really affect you as an adult. I can really leave you with a lot of insecurities that are hard to shake even into your 30s.

In a social situation of serious sports fans, as an adult, it brings back feelings of being a runt of the litter, gives me that doubting that almost makes me understand what someone autistic must feel (maybe an exaggeration) and its my own little self therapy, and confidence-boosting to suggest that there is actually something to belittle.

However, one thing I was always passionate about, great at, and gives me tons of self confidence, is outdoor recreation, exploring wild nature through hiking, etc.

This is why its perfect for my mental health to be in western cities where hiking in mountains, visiting national parks is something done by a larger % of the population (including just as much by people who are minorities, and where sports teams are followed closely by a lower % of people.

I lead hikes for meetup groups, and it fills me with self confidence when I get a turnout of cute women of all different backgrounds (white, ethnic Caucasian, Asian, African American, and Hispanic) coming to my scheduled hikes and other outdoor adventure.. Back in Chicago, I never thought So, people (particularly women) of minority status like the same stuff I do, and therefore validate me, it really makes me feel on top of the world.
Cool story bro. Maybe you should seek help for those, uh childhood issues.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City