Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2014, 07:45 PM

2,436 posts, read 2,793,261 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antny12 View Post
I won't lie and pretend I have although I have family friends out there who love the weather and nature but desperately miss the food. On a interesting note LA doesn't crack the top ten best cities for foodies (not that its a 100% tell poll)
Okay, you're clearly being biased.

You haven't even been to LA, and your opinion, or lack thereof, shouldn't be based on others' opinions.

That list is opinionated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2014, 07:48 PM

15,323 posts, read 23,909,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theraven24 View Post
LOL I'm pretty sure most things with food are opinionated. Even measuring variety is hard. With big cuisines there is regional cuisine that's not necessarily easy to just mine data for through something like Urban Spoon or Yelp. Some of those sites really suck when it comes to some of that too - Yelp for example lists Kyrgyz, Kazakh, Uzbek, etc food as "Russian" or "Asian Fusion" but it's not Russian. There's no categories for that on the site or even "Central Asian."

Old 05-21-2014, 07:48 PM

8,975 posts, read 10,204,425 times
Staying within the scope of the OP, which asked about both variety and quality, I'm fairly sure the list is:

NYC

Chicago/SF

LA

Houston

Everywhere else.

For variety, I'd agree with putting LA at or above Chicago. For quality, I'm thinking high end, and LA doesn't rise to the occasion quite as heroically. SF and Chicago clearly dominate the 2 and 3 spots (not sure which) for high end cuisine, and also boast an impressive variety of cuisine as well. They both compete more closely with LA in terms of variety of cuisine than LA competes with either in terms of high end cuisine, which is the logic behind my ranking.

Old 05-21-2014, 08:00 PM

2,322 posts, read 2,991,007 times
Travel+Leisure has never been fond of Los Angeles. This list is a joke, so is the rest of travel and leisure's lists. Providence over NYC in food, really?

Look at their other visitor list. Why is Providence, RI ranked ahead of Los Angeles when it comes to style, nightlife, food & Hotels....Like c'mon.

LA is 28th when it comes to culture? Below Portland, ME, Salt Lake City, Kansas City?

freaking joke.

Old 05-21-2014, 11:17 PM

1,461 posts, read 2,108,592 times
Quote:
I'm sorry but I don't see LA being above Chicago. What makes you say its a tier ahead?
Remember guys, this is the person who couldn't "wrap [his] head around Cali" even having a food scene:

Quote:
Cali just doesn't seem to scream foodie scene to me. I don't know ...its hard for me to wrap my head around it.

Old 05-22-2014, 03:02 AM

895 posts, read 1,239,569 times
Lol sorry buddy. When most people think of Cali and its cities food is one of the mast things to come to mind...beaches, trollys, bridges, same sex marriage (San Fran), mountains, sports, earthquakes, celeberties, and the extreme expense of living there come up WELL before anyone is going to say...you know what...San Fransisco/LA really have some of the best food in the country...I'm really craving some ... From.... I gotta go soon.

Old 05-22-2014, 03:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theraven24 View Post
Okay, you're clearly being biased.

You haven't even been to LA, and your opinion, or lack thereof, shouldn't be based on others' opinions.

No kidding...I seriously doubt everyone on this post or any post that gets commented on has been to every place that gets mentioned. So I doubt you've been to every single city mentioned here. That doesn't make you biased?

Old 05-22-2014, 03:46 AM

6,914 posts, read 14,747,106 times
Quote:
Lol sorry buddy. When most people think of Cali and its cities food is one of the mast things to come to mind...beaches, trollys, bridges, same sex marriage (San Fran), mountains, sports, earthquakes, celeberties, and the extreme expense of living there come up WELL before anyone is going to say...you know what...San Fransisco/LA really have some of the best food in the country...I'm really craving some ... From.... I gotta go soon.
Napa Valley alone has more cache in foodie circles than just about anywhere in the East Coast outside of New York, you have no idea what you're talking about.

Old 05-22-2014, 03:51 AM

1,461 posts, read 2,108,592 times
Quote:
Lol sorry buddy. When most people think of Cali and its cities food is one of the mast things to come to mind...beaches, trollys, bridges, same sex marriage (San Fran), mountains, sports, earthquakes, celeberties, and the extreme expense of living there come up WELL before anyone is going to say...you know what...San Fransisco/LA really have some of the best food in the country...
Even if that were the case (which it isn't...), this is a thread that is literally about food (which you created ffs) and cities that excel at it. Okay I figured it out, the 12 in your user name reflects your current age. Have you even read the other peoples' posts in your own thread? Your own link had SF at #2 (not necessarily agreeing with the article but come on..).

EDIT: I guess because when most people think of Chicago - skyscrapers, Michael Jordan, Wrigley Field, sports, Boys Town, same sex marriage, Oprah, Obama, celebrities, the lake, the weather and gangsters comes to their mind before food then it can't be known as a good food city?

P.S. I'm not actually pretending to know what comes to everyone's mind when they think of Chicago, just fighting ridiculousness with more ridiculousness.

Last edited by RadicalAtheist; 05-22-2014 at 04:49 AM..

Old 05-22-2014, 07:31 AM

Hey whatever you say...I'm just giving you my view that I don't see la's food scene better than Chicagos. And the point was people even here in texas when Chicago is brought up almost always say pizza...Chicago style pizza/hot dog etc. Ive never heard las food scene brought up as great besides here. To each their own though. And again I assume you've been to the cities mentioned and tried each type of food at various establishments in said cities in order to judge others on their views?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City