Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2014, 09:30 PM

6,208 posts, read 9,207,331 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthEast Coast 202 View Post
Philly has better food than DC overall.

To be brutally honest, DC's food scene sucks.
Yes there are fantastic restaurants in the DMV, a lot are hidden gems, but DC is too chain heavy and the quality isn't Nyc or Philly.
There are good restaurants in DC, but a majority of the best quality ones are here in the 'burbs, especially for many kinds of foreign foods.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2014, 09:50 PM

2,436 posts, read 2,793,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RadicalAtheist View Post
I'm surprised the creator of this thread - a thread you specifically made about variety - can't grasp how two of the most diverse areas of the country (much like NYC & CHI) would offer "the best and most food variety". And then goes on to mention Memphis.. along with New Orleans & Philly - which granted are pretty good food towns (especially New Orleans) - but don't exactly have the necessary ingredients relevant to this specific thread when compared to the aforementioned cities of NYC, CHI, LA & SF.
Exactly.

Old 05-19-2014, 09:57 PM

3,862 posts, read 5,286,495 times
If this is all about variety, you have to look at the following:

NYC
LA
SF
Chicago
Boston
Philly
Houston

Name a type of cuisine you cant find in the group above, the list would be very small.

Old 05-19-2014, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DistrictDirt View Post
I'm originally from the Philly 'burbs, and spent 6 years in DC before heading west, and you are spot on.

The thing I never liked about DC's food is that it all seems "top down" and corporate. You get the sense that every high end restaurants there is a formula created by a committee: Lets get [INSERT WELL KNOWN CHEF] to do fusion cuisine that combines [INSERT ETHNICITY 1] and [INSERT ETHNICITY 2], and have the interior design done by [INSERT WELL KNOWN DESIGN FIRM]. Its always about the bottom line, and the result is sub par food for sky high prices. Philly on the hand is always a pleasant surprise every time I visit. So many gastropubs with unexpectedly amazing and creative food.

EDIT: I will stand up for the enthic food in the Maryland and Virginia suburbs. There's some outstanding Indian, Korean, and Vietnamese restaurants in the far corners of the DMV.
Also pretty good Peruvian, Afghani, Thai, Ghanian, Columbian, Salvadorian, Ethiopian, Kenyan, Senegalese, and Pakistani here in the suburbs. Rockville, MD has some nice Chinese offerings and Langley Park, MD has a nice mix of Salvadorian, Honduran, and Mexican joints, especially hole-in-the-walls (LP is a kinda rough around the edges though). Some decent West Indian food places here on the Maryland side of the DMV (probably not as good as New York's, never been to the NYC's Caribbean restaurants).

DC itself on the ethnic dishes seems to fall short for the most part in comparison to other cities. However, it does have great Ethiopian and Salvadorian. It also has a few decent Italian and French restaurants and it's home to Rasika: Rasika chef Vikram Sunderam wins James Beard Award - The Washington Post

DC as a restaurant city is definitely much better than from what it used to be as simply a city of expense account steakhouses and French restaurants. It still has a lot of work to do before it can match the likes of SF, Chicago, NYC, LA, and even Philly but it's definitely on the up and up.

Here's what sent shock waves throughout the DC food scene last year: What

And here are a handful of the many responses and rebuttals that followed shortly thereafter: Onswipe

Furstenberg Disses Food Scene, Twitter Freaks Out - A Moveable Tweet - Eater DC

In Defense of D.C. Food | Sam Hiersteiner

DC’s Independent Food Scene: A Work in Progress | Going Green DC

Here are some recent articles on what's going on with the DC food scene these days:

10 best food trucks in Washington, D.C.

9 millennials influencing the D.C. food scene - The Washington Post

Washington, D.C. Restaurants: This Is Where the Locals Eat : Condé Nast Traveler

Old 05-19-2014, 10:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DistrictDirt View Post
Agreed. I know Umami is a chain now and its probably not cool to say but damn if their burger isn't the best I've ever had.

Never had Persian food but I will have to try. I'm assuming the spots are in West LA and Westwood?
And Beverly Hills most likely.

Old 05-19-2014, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antny12 View Post
Cali just doesn't seem to scream foodie scene to me. I don't know ...its hard for me to wrap my head around it.
You're being serious??

Old 05-19-2014, 10:09 PM

13,384 posts, read 25,732,359 times
There is a critical mass at some point when I think of quality of ethnic food.

I currently live outside Dallas. I used to live in LA. The biggest difference between the two is not the authenticity of ethnic cuisine, its the number of options. Korean food here doesn't taste any different than it did in LA. But the good stuff is confined to a few areas of town instead of widespread. Its hard to compare to East Asian and Southeast Asian cuisine in LA. No other city compares. There is a much larger emphasis on Indian food here than in LA though.

Long story short, there is nothing I could get in LA that I haven't been able to find here. I speak of authenticity and quality. However, where Dallas pales in comparison is the number of options for the most part. The one exception that leaps to mind is Indian (especially South Indian) food.

Old 05-20-2014, 03:05 AM

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=wrg2S-cJWKw

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=sS3rowyK5CU

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=oAF45UYfNz0

Old 05-20-2014, 03:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcave360 View Post
Also pretty good Peruvian, Afghani, Thai, Ghanian, Columbian, Salvadorian, Ethiopian, Kenyan, Senegalese, and Pakistani here in the suburbs. Rockville, MD has some nice Chinese offerings and Langley Park, MD has a nice mix of Salvadorian, Honduran, and Mexican joints, especially hole-in-the-walls (LP is a kinda rough around the edges though). Some decent West Indian food places here on the Maryland side of the DMV (probably not as good as New York's, never been to the NYC's Caribbean restaurants).

DC itself on the ethnic dishes seems to fall short for the most part in comparison to other cities. However, it does have great Ethiopian and Salvadorian. It also has a few decent Italian and French restaurants and it's home to Rasika: Rasika chef Vikram Sunderam wins James Beard Award - The Washington Post

DC as a restaurant city is definitely much better than from what it used to be as simply a city of expense account steakhouses and French restaurants. It still has a lot of work to do before it can match the likes of SF, Chicago, NYC, LA, and even Philly but it's definitely on the up and up.

Here's what sent shock waves throughout the DC food scene last year: What

And here are a handful of the many responses and rebuttals that followed shortly thereafter: Onswipe

Furstenberg Disses Food Scene, Twitter Freaks Out - A Moveable Tweet - Eater DC

In Defense of D.C. Food | Sam Hiersteiner

DC’s Independent Food Scene: A Work in Progress | Going Green DC

Here are some recent articles on what's going on with the DC food scene these days:

10 best food trucks in Washington, D.C.

9 millennials influencing the D.C. food scene - The Washington Post

Washington, D.C. Restaurants: This Is Where the Locals Eat : Condé Nast Traveler
Another link I wanted to post under responses and rebuttals.

Our Response to the Washington Post Food Scene Slam

Old 05-20-2014, 03:55 AM

Maine Avenue Fish Market aka The Wharf (Some of the best seafood on the East Coast)

Maine Avenue Fish Market in Washington DC for Photographers

https://foursquare.com/v/maine-avenu...f2c9b65e49f192

DC’s Maine Avenue Fish Market | Bourbon & Brown Sugar

A couple of blogs but hey, blogs play a crucial role to foodie culture.

District Flea (unfortunately, it's on indefinite hiatus apparently due to low turnout)

Market Scene: District Flea in Washington, DC | Serious Eats

Union Market

HOME - Union Market - Union Market | 1309 5th Street NE | Washington, DC Union Market | 1309 5th Street NE | Washington, DC

http://news.yahoo.com/five-must-try-...180900517.html

Eastern Market

Eastern Market

The Flea Market at Eastern Market

Washington DC Food Tours | Eastern Market Food Tour | DC, Old Town Alexandria, DC Metro Food Tours

And don't forget to suffice a trip to the gorgeous Wine Country on the Virginia side of the DMV

Washington DC Food Tours | Loudoun County Wine and Food Tours | Georgetown | Capitol Hill | Old Town Alexandria | Eastern Market | Little Ethiopia | U Street | DC Metro Food Tours
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City