Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2014, 01:33 PM

3,862 posts, read 5,286,495 times

Advertisements

NYC comes to mind first because it checks all the boxes from Fine dining all the way down to hole in the walls.

With that said, basically every major city in the US and Canada has most International cuisines covered. Some have more of certain kinds than others, and the quality can be argued. But for variety it is tough to find a big city that does not have the worlds major and even obscured cuisines covered.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2014, 01:50 PM

112 posts, read 136,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antny12 View Post
No way! Maybe its because I love Italian food (I am Italian after all)...beef sandwiches, cheese Fry's, pizza, best burgers, hell the best Mexican I had was in Chicago. I wouldn't buy the whole Cali has better food...even NYC. I prefer Chicago style pizza and as far as other foods I think both have a great variety and offer great quality places. I'm talking larger places (palermo's, Portillos, Giordano's, als beef, white castles etc) to smaller local places (Anthony's pizza, Freddie's, paps, and so on).
So basically you're going off preference, I thought this thread was about variety

Old 05-19-2014, 01:53 PM

15,323 posts, read 23,909,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snuggah View Post
So basically you're going off preference, I thought this thread was about variety
You can find pretty much any type of cuisine in Chicago and the area. Houston has a lot, but it's not as much as Chicago. Anybody who thinks Chicago only serves a bunch of hot dogs, pizzas, steaks, italian beef, etc knows jack **** about the city's culinary scene. Variety wise you can find pretty much anything you can think of.

NYC is #1, then after that it's LA and Chicago.

Old 05-19-2014, 02:11 PM

2,217 posts, read 3,900,194 times
NYC has the most variety but which city has the best food is subjective.

I would say Chicago, San Francisco, and LA are fighting for the #2 spot when it comes to variety.

Old 05-19-2014, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
You can find pretty much any type of cuisine in Chicago and the area. Houston has a lot, but it's not as much as Chicago. Anybody who thinks Chicago only serves a bunch of hot dogs, pizzas, steaks, italian beef, etc knows jack **** about the city's culinary scene. Variety wise you can find pretty much anything you can think of.

NYC is #1, then after that it's LA and Chicago.
Chicago's Asian offerings are laughable at best, that's why I put SF and Houston above it.

Old 05-19-2014, 02:35 PM

44,254 posts, read 64,342,342 times
There are X number of countries in the world.

I can think of several cities where you can get food from any of those places and even subcultures of those countries, Dallas included.

Once you are at that point (where many cities fit the bill), this becomes an entirely pointless conversation.

Old 05-19-2014, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Chicago's Asian offerings are laughable at best, that's why I put SF and Houston above it.
Um, no it's not at all. You clearly don't know what you're talking about. Sizable Chinatown that has also expanded into another neighborhood and is even expanding into another one south of it right now), Little Vietnam (also has other Chinese options), Koreatown (which if you're talking about MSA too, there are other Korean centers in the suburbs) , and Little India/Pakistan too. Not to mention that you can find tons of Sushi/Japanese and Thai (and increasingly Korean) in the gentrified neighborhoods that aren't ethnic neighborhoods.

Last edited by CaseyB; 05-20-2014 at 12:01 PM..

Old 05-19-2014, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
Um, no it's not at all. You clearly don't know what you're talking about. Sizable Chinatown that has also expanded into another neighborhood and is even expanding into another one south of it right now), Little Vietnam (also has other Chinese options), Koreatown (which if you're talking about MSA too, there are other Korean centers in the suburbs) , and Little India/Pakistan too. Not to mention that you can find tons of Sushi/Japanese and Thai (and increasingly Korean) in the gentrified neighborhoods that aren't ethnic neighborhoods.
Sure I can find similar strip malls with Korean food or Thai, but what separates the men from the boys is competition, and I doubt Chicago has much competition for Asian cuisine

NYC

LA

SF
Chicago
Houston

Last edited by CaseyB; 05-20-2014 at 12:01 PM..

Old 05-19-2014, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Sure I can find similar strip malls with Korean food or Thai, but what separates the men from the boys is competition, and I doubt Chicago has much competition for Asian cuisine

NYC

LA

SF
Chicago
Houston
Again, you don't know what you're talking about. It has a fair amount of competition for its Asian cuisine. Asian cuisine is very popular in Chicago especially in many of the hip and/or gentrified neighborhoods and also of course in the ethnic neighborhoods themselves.

Also, Asian cuisine is not the watermark for this. It's one aspect of it all. We're talking about overall variety. There are other cuisines out there which you could say one city has offerings of that the other doesn't.

Old 05-19-2014, 03:31 PM

6,843 posts, read 10,956,393 times
I've lived in both and was just in Chicago as recent as this morning and will be back in a few days. They are comparable at the very least, Houston has the larger Latin American population (both Mexican and non-Mexican) and has a higher Asian percentage and isn't far off in raw numbers in the least (and is growing faster too both in raw numbers and percentage). It has a 3 square mile Koreatown, another Koreatown (albeit smaller in Memorial City), a Downtown Chinatown (albeit small), a 6 square mile suburban Chinatown, a Mahatma Gandhi District (off Hillcroft), the entire Eastside of the Inner Loop is one big Mexican neighborhood/enclave (35 square miles), Nigerian corridor (runs a few miles) on South Gessner, 2 square mile Salvadoran corridor (West Belt), Pakistani enclave on Wilcrest, then another Pakistani enclave off Harwin, then an Arab corridor that runs 7 miles on Richmond between the Beltway and the Inner Loop, an International District (in West Belt), Mediterranean corridor on Westheimer between the Beltway and Inner Loop (albeit sporadically assembled but long and large), a Little Saigon in Midtown, then a bigger Little Saigon in Westchase (5 square miles), Guatemalan corridor on South Beltway, Sugar Land's Chinatown (at Austin Parkway and Dulles, albeit small), so on.

These ethnic eats, if you don't want to go to an ethnic enclave or corridor, no issue, the city also has them scattered everywhere too. So it has that feature as well.

Those are some basic intstructions for ethnic foods, in these corridors/districts one can find ample food trucks, religious institutions/temples/prayer halls, restaurants, grocery stores, so on.

For regional/local/statewide food there are several corridors for Tex-Mex, Soul food, Creole (in La Porte, La Marque, Galveston, Baytown), Cajun (coastal Brazoria, Harris, Galveston, Chambers, and landlocked Fort Bend counties), and East Texas Barbeque (spicier by a mile than the other three types of Texas barbeque's with different menu options).

Chicago has a lot too but it's beyond laughable to insinuate that they aren't at the very least comparable, in my opinion.

I consider myself a food snob, two of my favorite food cities, I know both their scenes real good.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City