Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2014, 06:00 PM

1,192 posts, read 1,642,248 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthEast Coast 202 View Post
Philly has better food than DC overall.

To be brutally honest, DC's food scene sucks.
Yes there are fantastic restaurants in the DMV, a lot are hidden gems, but DC is too chain heavy and the quality isn't Nyc or Philly.
I'm originally from the Philly 'burbs, and spent 6 years in DC before heading west, and you are spot on.

The thing I never liked about DC's food is that it all seems "top down" and corporate. You get the sense that every high end restaurants there is a formula created by a committee: Lets get [INSERT WELL KNOWN CHEF] to do fusion cuisine that combines [INSERT ETHNICITY 1] and [INSERT ETHNICITY 2], and have the interior design done by [INSERT WELL KNOWN DESIGN FIRM]. Its always about the bottom line, and the result is sub par food for sky high prices. Philly on the hand is always a pleasant surprise every time I visit. So many gastropubs with unexpectedly amazing and creative food.

EDIT: I will stand up for the enthic food in the Maryland and Virginia suburbs. There's some outstanding Indian, Korean, and Vietnamese restaurants in the far corners of the DMV.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2014, 06:14 PM

2,436 posts, read 2,793,261 times
Best Chinese I've had in my life was in New York City. On the other hand, I ordered Mexican food there and I was not impressed, at all. LA takes the cake there.

I'd love to travel around the country, just to eat.

Old 05-19-2014, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theraven24 View Post
Best Chinese I've had in my life was in New York City. On the other hand, I ordered Mexican food there and I was not impressed, at all. LA takes the cake there.

I'd love to travel around the country, just to eat.
New Yorkers will argue that their Mexican food is as good as LA's. Its adorable.

Old 05-19-2014, 06:40 PM

895 posts, read 1,239,569 times
Well Chicago is second to none in Italian food imo.

Old 05-19-2014, 06:46 PM

1,830 posts, read 2,150,484 times
On top of having amazing Mexican, Korean, Chinese, and thai, LA also has amazing Persian places, especially when it comes to Iranian. Damn, that is my new favorite food.

LA also can't be beat when it comes to burgers at any level.

Old 05-19-2014, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Illusive Man View Post
On top of having amazing Mexican, Korean, Chinese, and thai, LA also has amazing Persian places, especially when it comes to Iranian. Damn, that is my new favorite food.

LA also can't be beat when it comes to burgers at any level.
Agreed. I know Umami is a chain now and its probably not cool to say but damn if their burger isn't the best I've ever had.

Never had Persian food but I will have to try. I'm assuming the spots are in West LA and Westwood?

Old 05-19-2014, 07:05 PM

765 posts, read 898,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snuggah View Post
Chicago gets trumped by NYC, LA, SF, hell even Houston.
I don't find that to be true. NYC for sure but equal to LA imo

Old 05-19-2014, 07:15 PM

895 posts, read 1,239,569 times
Cali just doesn't seem to scream foodie scene to me. I don't know ...its hard for me to wrap my head around it.

Old 05-19-2014, 07:23 PM

409 posts, read 587,423 times
In sheer variety? Has to be NYC

Then definitely LA second, and Chicago or SF third (if we're talking only U.S.)

Old 05-19-2014, 07:25 PM

409 posts, read 587,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthEast Coast 202 View Post
To be brutally honest, DC's food scene sucks.
Yes there are fantastic restaurants in the DMV, a lot are hidden gems, but DC is too chain heavy and the quality isn't Nyc or Philly.
I wouldn't say DC food scene "sucks", but, yeah, for a metro of 7 million or whatever (or CSA of 9-10 million), and for the great wealth and prosperity in the area, the DC food scene is severely lacking.

Among the major U.S. cities, I would say DC is pound-for-pound, the worst, even though there are a few good ethnic finds and some good high end-dining. You average corner Italian or Chinese or Barbecue joint will generally be mediocre-to-sucky, and will more likely than not be some generic focus-group generated "fast casual concept" chain.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City