Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which City According To My Criteria?
Indianapolis, IN 17 24.64%
Cleveland, OH 34 49.28%
Columbus, OH 18 26.09%
Voters: 69. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2014, 09:19 PM

4,675 posts, read 7,397,087 times

Advertisements

^ LOL poster totally hijacks a thread to go on a rant about Chicago and then blames it on someone else. Classic.

In any event, in terms of a bright economic future, Indianapolis or Columbus are doing pretty well for themselves. In terms of eclectic flavor, I would go with Cleveland or Columbus, in that respect. Indy has always felt sleepy and a little boring, in my opinion. Cleveland definitely has the strongest city feel to it, then Columbus, and then Indy.

Last edited by Maintainschaos; 05-31-2014 at 09:38 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2014, 11:38 AM

4,823 posts, read 4,938,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maintainschaos View Post
^ LOL poster totally hijacks a thread to go on a rant about Chicago and then blames it on someone else. Classic.

In any event, in terms of a bright economic future, Indianapolis or Columbus are doing pretty well for themselves. In terms of eclectic flavor, I would go with Cleveland or Columbus, in that respect. Indy has always felt sleepy and a little boring, in my opinion. Cleveland definitely has the strongest city feel to it, then Columbus, and then Indy.
I didn't hijack the thread and didn't blame it on someone else. Please keep your Prairie State logic ''out there'' please.

Old 06-01-2014, 12:16 PM

3,530 posts, read 5,019,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamms View Post
I didn't hijack the thread and didn't blame it on someone else. Please keep your Prairie State logic ''out there'' please.
No, you probably didn't, Kamms. This thread should have concluded immediately after the OP's decision to move to Cleveland became known, but it didn't. Instead, with a renewed synergy typical of so many C-D threads, it derailed quite a while later.

Old 06-01-2014, 12:52 PM

4,675 posts, read 7,397,087 times
Quote:
Right. 6 out of 7 of your posts in the thread mentioning Chicago specifically, and then you are asked by the OP to stop discussing it and you respond with:

Quote:
Yes, my mistake...sorry about that. It was a Chicago poster.

Old 06-01-2014, 01:19 PM

^^ (...see what I mean, Kamms?) Case closed.

Old 06-01-2014, 02:30 PM

4,823 posts, read 4,938,574 times
[quote=Maintainschaos;35047142]Right. 6 out of 7 of your posts in the thread mentioning Chicago specifically, and then you are asked by the OP to stop discussing it and you respond with:
After years of living in Chicago and hearing all the put downs of other midwest cities I couldn't help myself. Didn't matter if it was Cleveland, Columbus, Cincinnati, Indy etc. The scenario is always this: the Chicago ''team'' shows up in (pick your midwest city); gripes begin about how lackluster ''x'' city is compared to Chicago; locals dealing with the Chicago ''team'' start rolling their eyes having to put up with the Windy City attitude and arrogance; Chicago ''team'' returns to ''Chicawgo'' to tell co-workers and friends how lackluster ''x'' city is and concludes with ''it's not like Chicawgo...''. We all know Chicago is great and the best; no need to keep reinforcing it to yourselves and us.

Old 06-01-2014, 02:35 PM

1,940 posts, read 3,562,086 times
I've visited all three several times. I prefer Cleveland. I was really struck by its beauty! It has a lot of run down areas, but also some beautiful topography and natural areas. Columbus felt flat to me and I didn't get the hype especially since I've lived in Austin and west coast cities and Columbus seems to get a lot of college town hip factor. Indianapolis seems very southern in thinking, layout, and culture. I felt like I was in Oklahoma City mixed with Baltimore, odd combination. Not a bad city though.

Why didn't Cincinnati make this list? That is one of the most beautiful cities I've been to. I loved driving in from Kentucky down a steep hillside with the city splayed in front of me. I love a city with an entrance and that one is quite beautiful!

Old 06-01-2014, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timtemtym View Post
I've visited all three several times. I prefer Cleveland. I was really struck by its beauty! It has a lot of run down areas, but also some beautiful topography and natural areas. Columbus felt flat to me and I didn't get the hype especially since I've lived in Austin and west coast cities and Columbus seems to get a lot of college town hip factor. Indianapolis seems very southern in thinking, layout, and culture. I felt like I was in Oklahoma City mixed with Baltimore, odd combination. Not a bad city though.

Why didn't Cincinnati make this list? That is one of the most beautiful cities I've been to. I loved driving in from Kentucky down a steep hillside with the city splayed in front of me. I love a city with an entrance and that one is quite beautiful!
As a Cincinnatian, I really appreciated you reiterating these things from someone so far away. Unfortunately, however, the OP's job choices didn't include Cincinnati.

Old 06-01-2014, 03:53 PM

16,345 posts, read 18,048,277 times
Quote:
Cleveland is hardly the most defensive. I'm only calling out the Chicago passive-aggressive strain running through the OP. Trust me on this one.
You may be right. Cincinnati is right up there. Again, 2 cities I like and I don't really get that attitude about, but you go to the Ohio forum and they spend a whole lot of time attacking any city they feel even the least threatened by. It's like they have no confidence that their cities actually have positive things to offer unless they're tearing down their neighbors.

Old 06-01-2014, 03:55 PM

16,345 posts, read 18,048,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjimmy24 View Post
Yes. I don't know how anyone wouldn't consider Chicago "Rust Belt." It's the capital of the Rust Belt.
I consider that more Detroit. Certainly Chicago has rust belt qualities, but I would argue it's one of the least rust belty of them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City