Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which do you prefer?
Charlotte 62 70.45%
Columbia 26 29.55%
Voters: 88. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2014, 05:02 PM

250 posts, read 358,781 times

Advertisements

Very different in size, but which do you prefer? Larger doesn't necessarily mean better, and smaller doesn't necessarily mean more charm.

Criteria:

Architecture
Parks and Public Spaces
Art and Cultural Events
Public Transportation/Traffic
Walkability
Restaurants and Shops
Weather
Surrounding areas and nature
Jobs/Cost of Living
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2014, 05:20 PM

34 posts, read 70,730 times
This thread is pretty much over before it started lol

Old 05-28-2014, 06:14 PM

1,461 posts, read 2,956,513 times
Charlotte wins in sports (unless your a big college football fan)

Criteria:

Architecture - Columbia wins when it comes to the state house and the old buildings from the 20th century and mix from late 20th/early 21st. Charlotte wins when it comes to modern architecture.

Parks and Public Spaces - guess it's up to the person

Art and Cultural Events - Both cities do a Good job. Columbias major universities downtown help.

Public Transportation/Traffic - Charlotte for Transportation. Columbia for traffic.

Walkability - Charlotte

Restaurants and Shops - Charlotte

Weather - basically the same. Columbia is a little warmer in summer

Surrounding areas and nature - Columbia (Lake Murray and the three main rivers with the rapids)

Jobs/Cost of Living - Charlotte (Jobs) Columbia (COL)

Old 05-28-2014, 06:31 PM

489 posts, read 910,864 times
Not a fair comparison. Charlotte wins on everything except traffic and COL. Columbia is a great college city, though. Nice zoo (which Charlotte doesn't have), and really neat area's like 5 Points and Finlay Park.

Old 05-28-2014, 06:45 PM

1,535 posts, read 2,371,504 times
Columbia is more real than CLT a big city wannabe.

Old 05-29-2014, 10:23 AM

250 posts, read 358,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonofaque86 View Post
Charlotte wins in sports (unless your a big college football fan)

Criteria:
Public Transportation/Traffic - Charlotte for Transportation. Columbia for traffic.
Jobs/Cost of Living - Charlotte (Jobs) Columbia (COL)
I figured this was the likely situation for these two, so I guess I kind of meant like a combo of the two...meaning, does Charlotte's public transit makeup for its heavier traffic...or in other words, which of the two cities is it easier to get around in.

And same for Jobs/COL, does Charlotte's better Job market makeup for its higher COL?

Old 05-29-2014, 08:16 PM

1,461 posts, read 2,956,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HellaGoose View Post
I figured this was the likely situation for these two, so I guess I kind of meant like a combo of the two...meaning, does Charlotte's public transit makeup for its heavier traffic...or in other words, which of the two cities is it easier to get around in.

And same for Jobs/COL, does Charlotte's better Job market makeup for its higher COL?
Columbia having three major interstates and a beltway with these make Columbia easier to get around...I77 running through Charlotte is atrocious versus all the interstate systems in Columbia. Plus Columbia even has I-126 AND 277 which is a straight shot to downtown where the interstate doesn't cut through the city like 277 does in Charlotte ....take it from a 4 year charlotte resident who was raised in Columbia. Columbias interstate system is far better for the city of its size....

Charlotte wins in public transportation because of the light rail.

Columbia has strong jobs due to the government being located there as well as Fort Jackson army base and USC.

Old 05-31-2014, 05:43 AM

542 posts, read 1,106,588 times
I love both these cities, I live in Columbia and visit Charlotte often, mainly for concerts. Charlotte has exploded for 20 years, it's almost a different city from the 90's, it wants to be big no matter what the cost. Columbia is "plodding" along, and a really nice place to live. I love the lake and the rivers and the people, plus being a Gamecock fan, the University for college sports. We don't get the concerts that Charlotte does, or the NFL. I'm not much of a shopper, so that doesn't matter to me. Along with Charleston, the other city I visit the most, I consider them "the three C's"- Columbia, Charlotte, and Charleston. Rock on.

Old 05-31-2014, 05:21 PM

4,692 posts, read 9,300,167 times
With the exception of college sports I think Charlotte wins in just about every category. I'm assuming we are only comparing the cites and not the metros. Charlotte has amusement parks, greenways, funky neighborhoods like NoDa, Southend, and Plaza-Midwood to say the least. Southpark and Ballantyne could ro ably compete with Columbia for jobs. In addition to the cultural campus in uptown the funky neighborhoods I mentioned above have their own art crawls, poetry slams, and public arts. If this were to extend into the metros the comparison gets a little wider.

Old 06-01-2014, 07:53 AM

37,875 posts, read 41,904,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adavi215 View Post
With the exception of college sports I think Charlotte wins in just about every category. I'm assuming we are only comparing the cites and not the metros. Charlotte has amusement parks, greenways, funky neighborhoods like NoDa, Southend, and Plaza-Midwood to say the least. Southpark and Ballantyne could ro ably compete with Columbia for jobs. In addition to the cultural campus in uptown the funky neighborhoods I mentioned above have their own art crawls, poetry slams, and public arts. If this were to extend into the metros the comparison gets a little wider.
I think Columbia is competitive in the Parks and Public Spaces, Surrounding areas and nature, and Art and Cultural Events categories; being the state capital and home to the state's flagship university is a big advantage for Columbia. Weather and walkability are draws. Architecture is subjective, and the rest definitely go to Charlotte.

Last edited by Mutiny77; 06-01-2014 at 08:01 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City