Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2014, 02:54 PM

2,823 posts, read 4,488,840 times

Advertisements

Mutiny really hit the main points, he's spot on with the similarities between NC and VA. Most people who are not familiar with NC or this area in general would say SC is the most similar, but the answer is really VA IMO. And like Shakeesha said, NC is most similar to VA and GA with SC and TN coming in from behind.

Similarities between NC and VA- Mutiny hit the big points above, but here are a few more examples. North Carolina and Virginia have histories that are not too dissimilar. Roanoke Colony in NC was a failure (The Lost Colony) but less than 20 years later, Jamestown in VA became the first successful and permanent English settlement in America. Both Roanoke Island and Jamestown are located on the coasts of NC and VA (probably 100 miles apart). Historically, NC and VA have been big on tobacco, NC more so than VA. Winston-Salem and Durham in NC were the big tobacco towns, while Richmond was the big one in VA. R.J. Reynolds is in Winston-Salem, Altria in Richmond. Both NC and VA are Upper south and seceded after Ft. Sumter. NASCAR was formed out of moonshine running in the hills of NC and VA, although most people consider NC to be the birthplace of NASCAR. The populations of both states are similar.

Similarities between NC and GA- Charlotte is practically Atlanta's little sister, and you can also find similarities between the Atlanta metro and the Triangle. All three of these areas are always described as "New South." The populations of both states are nearly identical. Most of the population resides in the Piedmont regions of both states. You have the division of Mountains/Piedmont/Coastal Plain in both, only GA goes from north to south while NC goes from west to east. NC's case can also be found in VA, although the Piedmont region of VA is less populated. The college towns of Athens, GA and Chapel Hill, NC have similar vibes.

Similarities between NC and SC- Obviously, both NC and SC are from the original Province of Carolina. There is more interaction between NC and SC than either state has with any other bordering state. The Charlotte metro stretches into NC in towns such as Rock Hill and Fort Mill, and the Carolina Panthers are located in Charlotte. The Myrtle Beach area is a VERY popular tourist destination for North Carolinians, especially people from the Triangle area. Plus, Myrtle Beach is close to the NC/SC border. Sometimes, it seems like I see more NC license plates around Myrtle Beach than SC license plates! Both the state capitals of Raleigh and Columbia are located on the Fall Line. In general, NC and SC interact more but SC is a Deep South state overall, while NC is Upper South. There are plenty of cultural differences between them.

Similarities between NC and TN- Well, TN WAS NC at one point, but there are not a lot of similarities between these two besides the mountain regions of eastern TN and western NC. Outside eastern TN, TN doesn't really feel like NC to me, probably more like a cross between Alabama and Kentucky. The similarities I do see are that both states are Upper South and were the last two states to secede and join the Confederacy. The mountain regions of both states are similar, though. The Great Smoky Mountains National Park is divided in two by the NC/TN border, and tourists flock to both of these regions mainly due to the park. Eastern TN is much more populated than western NC, however.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2014, 03:25 PM

32,084 posts, read 34,676,186 times
Sorry, I don't see how GA is more similar to NC than SC other than the fact Atlanta is there (which is really very different in feel from any city in the Carolinas). As Mutiny77 has pointed out before, SC has ties with NC that GA altogether lacks. I can see NC being more similar to VA than SC, but I can't see it being more similar to GA than it is to SC. That simply doesn't make sense to me.

And there's a HUGE difference between Atlanta and Charlotte. Atlanta is big with bustle and some measure of the glamor life (exotic cars, designer shops, etc.). Charlotte is what a city like Columbia could be if it had more industry.

Old 05-30-2014, 08:36 PM

2,823 posts, read 4,488,840 times
The Atlanta metro is the main reason people compare GA to NC. Since the Atlanta metro is similar to both Charlotte and the Triangle, most people believe that NC and GA are very similar when it comes to their urban areas and I would have to agree. Not just the city of Atlanta itself, but the surrounding suburbs. I've driven around Cobb and Gwinnett County in GA and it definitely reminded me of many NC suburban areas. You could compare Sandy Springs, Marietta, or Lawrenceville in GA to Cary, Matthews, or Huntersville in NC IMO based off a similar "New South" suburban vibe. SC doesn't have anything (metros/urban areas) on the levels of Atlanta, Charlotte, and the Triangle. It's a smaller state with a lower population and its urban areas are not as populated as what you'll find in GA or NC. However, SC obviously has ties with NC and like I said before, there is more interaction between NC and SC. A big difference to me between the Carolina's is the fact that SC is more so Deep South while NC is more so Upper South. I definitely think NC has the most in common with VA, but it can really be a toss up between SC, GA, and even TN to some as second when it comes to similarities. However, IMO, I would still say NC is a bit more similar to GA than SC. Actually, SC and AL are quite similar despite not bordering each other.

Old 05-30-2014, 09:50 PM

3,645 posts, read 8,307,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waronxmas View Post
Yup, NC is VA's quiet little brother.
But NC has more people though .....

Old 05-30-2014, 10:01 PM

37,875 posts, read 41,896,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mas23 View Post
But NC has more people though .....
Perhaps he should have said quiet younger brother.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City