Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2014, 11:41 PM

354 posts, read 627,788 times

Advertisements

Which state to North Carolina is the most similar??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2014, 01:15 AM

5,830 posts, read 5,635,141 times
Georgia...

Virginia is a close second--but being that Charlotte is pretty much a carbon copy of Atlanta, suburban Triangle resembles suburban Atlanta, the topography similarity between the entire Northern half of Georgia to the entire central region of North Carolina, and countless small towns in both states that mirror each other--I'd say GA first...

I'm sure there are political parallels to be made too, but I'm not too versed in that knowledge. I'm from VA, and live in GA, and have lived in NC, and similarities abound towards both. But particularly in the CITIES, Virginia urban areas are of a completely different make - up than those of GA and NC...

Old 05-30-2014, 07:29 AM

37,882 posts, read 41,970,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by murksiderock View Post
Georgia...

Virginia is a close second--but being that Charlotte is pretty much a carbon copy of Atlanta, suburban Triangle resembles suburban Atlanta, the topography similarity between the entire Northern half of Georgia to the entire central region of North Carolina, and countless small towns in both states that mirror each other--I'd say GA first...

I'm sure there are political parallels to be made too, but I'm not too versed in that knowledge. I'm from VA, and live in GA, and have lived in NC, and similarities abound towards both. But particularly in the CITIES, Virginia urban areas are of a completely different make - up than those of GA and NC...
GA and NC are very similar, but VA and NC are more similar and this is mainly because they don't have a metro that completely dominates the state like Atlanta does GA. A more even distribution of metro areas and all that comes with it (amenities, infrastructure, educational institutions, corporate headquarters, etc.) makes for a more similar vibe and feel. And although NC took a sharp turn to the right politically recently, state politics are still more similar in NC and VA with both being swing states now. Both NC and VA's major universities are ACC schools with no SEC representation. Geographically, they are practically mirror images of each other, each having higher mountains and longer coastlines than GA. The largest metro in both states crosses state lines (NOVA and Charlotte), and both have one metro centered around one dominant city (Charlotte, Richmond) and two multinodal regions (NOVA [although DC is the primary city of the region, within NOVA itself there is no one dominant city], Hampton Roads; Triangle, Triad). The capitals of both NC and VA are fall line cities. The tobacco industry is big in both states (GA was all cotton, no tobacco), and Winston-Salem is like a mini-Richmond and is where the tobacco industry is most prominent in their respective states. The flagship universities of both schools are of similar caliber while UGA is in a lower tier. The Tidewater culture extends from Hampton Roads into northeast NC. Both states have a notable and well-defined tech district (RTP, Dulles Tech Corridor). And so on and so forth.

And while Charlotte and Atlanta share several similarities, Charlotte is by no means a carbon copy of Atlanta; they have distinct differences. Within its core, Atlanta has more of its historic urban fabric intact and has more of an industrial feel, Charlotte never had a Black community as prominent as Sweet Auburn, Charlotte doesn't have the film/TV/music industry of Atlanta, Charlotte doesn't have the higher ed scene of Atlanta, Charlotte doesn't have the gay culture of Atlanta, etc.

But at any rate, this topic has been covered in many other threads so I see no need for another, and it would need to be in the NC forum anyway.

Old 05-30-2014, 07:40 AM

11,998 posts, read 12,940,972 times
I would say Virginia.

Old 05-30-2014, 07:42 AM

32,113 posts, read 34,739,914 times
Mutiny77 already laid everything out and I think he's on point here. It's most similar to Virginia. After Virginia, I would say SC.

Old 05-30-2014, 08:39 AM

9,684 posts, read 9,402,860 times
1.Virginia
2.Georgia
3.South Carolina
4.Tennessee

Old 05-30-2014, 08:55 AM

6,417 posts, read 1,434,030 times
Virginia

Old 05-30-2014, 09:00 AM

8,486 posts, read 15,004,545 times
Yup, NC is VA's quiet little brother.

Old 05-30-2014, 09:51 AM

1,186 posts, read 1,513,326 times
VA and NC are very similar.

Folks never seem to take into consideration that Georgia has a LARGE region OUTSIDE of metropolitan Atlanta that is DEEP SOUTH in culture. From Macon in all directions on down to the state line is country.

I'm talking towns with less than 500 people, no modern amenities, the same sheriff for the past 30 years, can't pay your ticket online, and still believe in segregated high school prom
country.

Georgia just isn't Atlanta. 4.3 million folks live outside of the MSA of Atlanta... And they are the definition of Deep South.

NC just doesn't have an equal to this that I've experienced as large as GA does.

Below Macon is comparable to Alabama, Mississippi, and Louisiana in presentation. For better or worse, NC doesn't serve Southerness of that magnitude.

Old 05-30-2014, 10:02 AM

37,882 posts, read 41,970,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by isawooty View Post
VA and NC are very similar.

Folks never seem to take into consideration that Georgia has a LARGE region OUTSIDE of metropolitan Atlanta that is DEEP SOUTH in culture. From Macon in all directions on down to the state line is country.

I'm talking towns with less than 500 people, no modern amenities, the same sheriff for the past 30 years, can't pay your ticket online, and still believe in segregated high school prom
country.

Georgia just isn't Atlanta. 4.3 million folks live outside of the MSA of Atlanta... And they are the definition of Deep South.

NC just doesn't have an equal to this that I've experienced as large as GA does.

Below Macon is comparable to Alabama, Mississippi, and Louisiana in presentation. For better or worse, NC doesn't serve Southerness of that magnitude.
I have to agree. Although eastern NC is Deep South for all intents and purposes, it's still not quite the same as south GA. For instance, you're more likely to see tobacco fields in the rural areas out there than in GA (although GA has a few).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City