Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2014, 03:59 PM

41,937 posts, read 36,943,649 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CowsAndBeer View Post
Respectfully, you don't know what you're talking about here. I've lived in many areas of the state over the years, including both Madison and Milwaukee, and the only people who go to Madison over Milwaukee A) live much closer or B) are "afraid" of Milwaukee. Madison is still a small city lacking the real metro amenities you can get in Milwaukee or Chicago or Minneapolis. It's really not even close. And Chicago is often considered not worth the hassle unless you want to blow the weekend there. Milwaukee is the clear go-to in the state.

Madison metro is 550,000, Milwaukee is 1.6 million. They are about an hour drive apart, a good bit closer than downtown Milwaukee to downtown Chicago.

I can't agree with you here, but I think much of the go to for Madison is because it is the flagship state school and the economy.

Can't think of anything I can get in MKE that I can't get in Madison either, except pro sports and some concerts that come through... though there are plenty that come to Madison and not MKE.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2014, 04:01 PM

41,937 posts, read 36,943,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iknowftbll View Post
Couldn't disagree more regarding Denver. By a long shot the most prominent city in the Intermountain West (unless Phoenix is included in that region) and even then Denver's profile is a little higher than Phoenix's despite the size disparity. I used prominence within a state more to rule out state capitals. I guess I should have spelled that out a little better.

When in Madison, if we wanted a big city, we went to Chicago. There was no debate. There was lots there we couldn't get or see in Madison, can't say the same for MKE. We went to the Rave / Eagle a few times, that's about it.

Old 06-04-2014, 07:03 PM

11,157 posts, read 13,998,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
When in Madison, if we wanted a big city, we went to Chicago. There was no debate. There was lots there we couldn't get or see in Madison, can't say the same for MKE. We went to the Rave / Eagle a few times, that's about it.
Honestly I wouldn't know. I've only been to Madison once (passed through it a few other times, but won't count those) and never even been to Milwaukee. Madison is a nice town on the lakes, though. And I thought WI was a really pretty state. Very underrated, really. I don't think I'd be unhappy living up there.

Old 06-05-2014, 08:13 AM

1,778 posts, read 2,884,347 times
I would place Salt Lake City in the top 5. It's political, economic and religious clout is most certainly regional, but it's a huge region. Included would be the entire state of Utah, southern ID, southwestern WY, eastern NV, parts of northern AZ. I believe the Salt Lake media market is still the only one in the continental US to include an entire state (UT).

Old 06-05-2014, 08:20 AM

10,641 posts, read 16,023,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kar54 View Post
I would place Salt Lake City in the top 5. It's political, economic and religious clout is most certainly regional, but it's a huge region. Included would be the entire state of Utah, southern ID, southwestern WY, eastern NV, parts of northern AZ. I believe the Salt Lake media market is still the only one in the continental US to include an entire state (UT).
Over Phoenix, Indy and Austin? There's no way Salt Lake City is touching Boston, Atlanta and Denver.

Old 06-05-2014, 08:26 AM

1,778 posts, read 2,884,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davy-040 View Post
Over Phoenix, Indy and Austin? There's no way Salt Lake City is touching Boston, Atlanta and Denver.
You are correct. The point I was making is that it serves as a prominent center of a large geographic region. The population and national influence are certainly not on par with most major metro captials.

Old 06-05-2014, 08:31 AM

3,338 posts, read 6,897,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kar54 View Post
SLC and it's LDS influence does spread into parts of WY, NV, and South East Idaho, the I-15 Corridor but not the rest of Southern Idaho. Boise is just prominent as SLC in that it is the large city and media market for Southern Idaho, Northern Nevada, Eastern Oregon, a huge trade area. In fact, most people in Boise tend to not care or think much of SLC because Boise is the dominate center for its own large geographic area.
But you are correct in that SLC does have its own large region it dominates over.

Old 06-05-2014, 09:37 AM

1,312 posts, read 2,168,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
I can't agree with you here, but I think much of the go to for Madison is because it is the flagship state school and the economy.

Can't think of anything I can get in MKE that I can't get in Madison either, except pro sports and some concerts that come through... though there are plenty that come to Madison and not MKE.
Madison doesn't come close when you're talking museums, shopping, food (pretty much every kind of ethnic, especially), events, local art/music, etc. Name a single great Mexican restaurant in Madison. I've tried several upon recommendation, and I have a good dozen in walking distance from my house that are much better. With a 100,000+ concentrated population of Latinos making up a city within the city on the south side, how could Madison possibly compare? Soul/bbq/southern? Nothing there like in the Milwaukee hood, a few hundred thousand strong. I could go on and on and on with this. MLB at Miller Park. NBA. The world's largest music festival (hell, huge festivals every week during summer). Lake Michigan and the waterfront. You could say there's nothing in Chicago that you can't get in Milwaukee, if you're going to go that route, it's basically the same exact comparison as Madison vs Milwaukee. If that's fair, then why not Madison vs Chicago? It's just ridiculous to say that a town with little diversity a third of the size of another that played a big part in American history as a top 15 population center while Madison was a tiny town built to house the capital has the same amenities - it doesn't, period. Only people who for whatever reason are "afraid" of Milwaukee or don't like it for some reason would attempt this line.

This is coming from somone who's lived in both, as well as Stevens Point, Green Bay, etc., and who has worked considerable hours out of Chicago/Minneapolis/etc. I have no "horse" in the race, and I'm not going to be in Milwaukee next year at this time. Out of the dozens of friends over the years who moved in-state, the vast, vast majority chose Milwaukee over Madison. I'm sure statistics would show this very clearly.

Old 06-05-2014, 01:43 PM

87 posts, read 180,862 times
Columbus.

Old 06-06-2014, 03:44 PM

11,157 posts, read 13,998,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by columbus finest View Post
Columbus.

I can't say I agree, but I am all ears for you if you want to make your case.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City