Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2014, 07:48 PM

11,157 posts, read 14,017,686 times

Advertisements

With 50 U.S. states come 50 U.S. state capital cities. These cities rank in size from nearly 1.5 million people (Phoenix) to around 8,000 (Montpelier). Some are the dominant cities in their regions, others are not. I think a thread discussing the most prominent state capital cities is a worthwhile topic for this forum.

I don't really have a set of specific criteria, but generally I considered how prominent the city is within its state. If I say Missouri, chances are most people are going to think of St. Louis or Kansas City, so Jefferson City did not make the top 5. I also considered cities that maybe were not the first city that came to mind at the mention of its state, but made it in on the strength of the state's prominence. All I ask is you give a short justification for your top 5. Or 10. However many you want. Maybe someone will rank all 50.

My top 5 in no particular order:

Boston: In part due to its size, but mostly because of it's significant role in the history of this country. I believe this speaks for itself to the degree that even though I'm not "ranking" any others, I'd give Boston the nod as most prominent state capital.

Sacramento: Although Sacramento is not the largest, second largest or even third largest metro area in California, it makes my top 5 because it is the capital city of the country's most populous state. California politics tend to influence other areas of the country, so Sacramento is fairly prominent among the other state capitals.

Denver: Not only is one of the larger state capitals, but its isolation from other major cities makes it a sort of regional hegemon. It is also one of the "it" cities right now, riding a wave of growing popularity that can be traced back to the 1990s. When these factors combine, it's easy to justify Denver being one of the more prominent state capitals.

Atlanta: Also one of the larger state capitals, and a city with a growing international profile. Closer to home it is an unchallenged hub in the Southeast United States. Even though Miami rivals Atlanta in size, Atlanta's location is better suited for its role as the regional hub.

Austin: One of the fastest growing cities in the U.S. and serves a role very similar to Sacramento, but on the "other side of the isle" so to speak. Texas politics also tend to be very influential. This combined with Austin's status as one of the more trendy cities right now make it in my mind one of the more prominent of state capitals.

Also considered:

Phoenix: When it came right down to it, I considered Phoenix only because of it's status as the largest of the 50 state capitals. I don't really think that is a good enough litmus test.

Columbus: One of the larger cities and the center of one of the more significant states in presidential elections. But despite the fact that Columbus is growing while other Ohio cities are shrinking, I think Columbus is somewhat overshadowed by cities like Cleveland and Cincinnati.

Richmond: A very historically significant state capital, and technically the capital of a country during the Civil War, but entirely overshadowed by Washington D.C. I also don't think people think of "Richmond" when they here the name "Virginia." I don't. Maybe I'm alone, though.

I think my top 5 is pretty solid, but I am looking forward to what others have to say and hearing their reasoning.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2014, 08:04 PM

4,675 posts, read 7,415,612 times
I think I agree in general except for maybe Sacramento. I think Phoenix or Columbus are perhaps more prominent than Sacramento. Another couple cities to perhaps consider on your second tier are Oklahoma City and Indianapolis. It's just so easy to associate with their respective states since the state names are right there.

Old 06-01-2014, 08:28 PM

4,576 posts, read 9,168,795 times
Prominance is dictated by how much pull you have at the federal level- gdp, congressmen, etc.

Phx, twin cities, atlanta, denver and boston metros would be my top 10%.

Sac is on denvers tail but a step down in terms of population and gdp. but next in line. Being the capital of the most populace state is huge.

Austin is a cool town, but has no pull nationally or even on a statewide, or regional level. San antone is almost just as influential as austitude.

Old 06-01-2014, 08:47 PM

10,756 posts, read 23,852,544 times
I'm inclined to agree with the OP's choices except I'd place Phoenix as having a greater sphere of influence than Sacramento being the largest metro area in the desert Southwest. Sacramento is important to California as a government city where as Phoenix serves as the big league metro and for a region going beyond Arizona's borders with a bigger tier level in terms of major league sports, commerce, air service, and it's more of a destination in the leisure hotel/resort market.

I'd place the top 5 as

Boston
Atlanta
Denver
Phoenix
Austin

and the next tier level

Sacramento
Indianapolis
Salt Lake City
Nashville
Honolulu

next level simply just being on the national radar to some degree and important role in the state...

Richmond
Raleigh
Hartford
Providence
Columbus
Santa Fe
Boise

I'm not sure where I'd place St. Paul. Being that by virtue of anchoring one of the Twin Cities, albeit secondary it could go either way.

Last edited by Champ le monstre du lac; 06-01-2014 at 09:38 PM..

Old 06-01-2014, 08:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCal Dude View Post
Prominance is dictated by how much pull you have at the federal level- gdp, congressmen, etc.
To me this was a big part of it, which is why Sacramento and Austin, capital cities of the two largest states, made my list. Really there are no wrong answers, though. Unless you name a city that is not a state capital.

Old 06-01-2014, 09:11 PM

6,818 posts, read 6,065,283 times
I feel like Providence is more prominent within RI than Austin is within TX...

Old 06-01-2014, 09:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iAMtheVVALRUS View Post
I feel like Providence is more prominent within RI than Austin is within TX...
But on a national level, something I considered, Austin is far ahead of Providence.

Old 06-01-2014, 10:10 PM

37,897 posts, read 42,027,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caphillsea77 View Post
I'm inclined to agree with the OP's choices except I'd place Phoenix as having a greater sphere of influence than Sacramento being the largest metro area in the desert Southwest. Sacramento is important to California as a government city where as Phoenix serves as the big league metro and for a region going beyond Arizona's borders with a bigger tier level in terms of major league sports, commerce, air service, and it's more of a destination in the leisure hotel/resort market.

I'd place the top 5 as

Boston
Atlanta
Denver
Phoenix
Austin

and the next tier level

Sacramento
Indianapolis
Salt Lake City
Nashville
Honolulu

next level simply just being on the national radar to some degree and important role in the state...

Richmond
Raleigh
Hartford
Providence
Columbus
Santa Fe
Boise

I'm not sure where I'd place St. Paul. Being that by virtue of anchoring one of the Twin Cities, albeit secondary it could go either way.
I generally agree with this list. Good job!

Old 06-02-2014, 05:33 PM

13,966 posts, read 24,190,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caphillsea77 View Post

I'd place the top 5 as

Boston
Atlanta
Denver
Phoenix
Austin

and the next tier level

Sacramento
Indianapolis
Salt Lake City
Nashville
Honolulu

Richmond
Raleigh
Hartford
Providence
Columbus
Santa Fe
Boise

Sacramento is practically an afterthought in its own state. I certainly don't think it belongs at the top of the second tier.

Old 06-02-2014, 05:47 PM

1,461 posts, read 2,113,706 times
But to be fair, that state is California and it is still the capital which isn't just some superficial honor - especially with a state as large (in every way, not just population) like California.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City