Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2014, 09:49 AM

5,287 posts, read 5,788,728 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
Compared to Chicago and the Twin Cities, DC winters are mild. Compared to Atlanta and Houston, DC winters are frigid. DC gets the best or worst of both worlds.
DC winters aren't that bad to me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2014, 11:15 AM

1,192 posts, read 1,643,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mega man View Post
DC winters aren't that bad to me.
Its all relative. When I lived in DC I thought that the winters weren't quite as bad as the Pennsylvania winters I grew up with. But after being in LA for a few years, the weather when I come back to DC for the holidays is torture. Its amazing how quickly pleasant weather turns you into a wimp

Old 07-28-2014, 12:03 PM

2,098 posts, read 3,524,797 times
The issue with LA is the weather in the summer is about the same as it is in April or November or even January. There is just little variation, so people get less pumped about the change of seasons out here.

However, it has been warmer than average the last week or so. It's been in the high 80s/low 90s out here, and only in the low 80s in NYC (not typical for this time of year on either coast.)

Old 07-28-2014, 04:06 PM

2,412 posts, read 2,473,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freshflakes757 View Post
The issue with LA is the weather in the summer is about the same as it is in April or November or even January. There is just little variation, so people get less pumped about the change of seasons out here.

However, it has been warmer than average the last week or so. It's been in the high 80s/low 90s out here, and only in the low 80s in NYC (not typical for this time of year on either coast.)
Not really, january is mostly 70s, (with only about 2 90+ Days, if that is what you are reffering to), april and november is usually upper 70s to low 80s, and summers are in the 90s, that is 10 degrees up from winter to spring...

And if you are in the valleys it would be from upper 60s and low 70s in winter to upper 90s and low 100s in summer, that is 30 degree change, not like cities in the east but, you can certaintly feel the change, but its also more gradual change.

But the beaches really have the least variation.

Old 07-28-2014, 05:48 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,384,761 times
Worst summer weather cities? The entire south (south of Kentucky), and most of Arizona south of, say, Sedona.

Old 07-28-2014, 06:04 PM

10,749 posts, read 23,822,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawaii4evr View Post
I know I'll hate the fall and winters more than San Diego, lol..
Early Fall between Labor Day and Mid-October was one of my favorite times of year back east. Windows are left open, warm days, cool nights, and the humidity drops quite a bit. That paired up with the turning of the leaves and transformed landscape, what could you possibly hate about fall there?

Once November rolls around it's meh. Snow looks nice in December, after New Years I'm already tired of winter. In New England it took forever for spring to come around most years, but Philly probably has a noticeably longer spring season I'm sure.

Old 07-28-2014, 07:50 PM

5,294 posts, read 10,208,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert_SW_77 View Post
Early Fall between Labor Day and Mid-October was one of my favorite times of year back east. Windows are left open, warm days, cool nights, and the humidity drops quite a bit. That paired up with the turning of the leaves and transformed landscape, what could you possibly hate about fall there?

Once November rolls around it's meh. Snow looks nice in December, after New Years I'm already tired of winter. In New England it took forever for spring to come around most years, but Philly probably has a noticeably longer spring season I'm sure.
I'd agree with this-although I really only count fall from its official start (usually the 21st of September), because early September is still pretty hot and muggy. What I don't like about fall is, as you say, November. By then a lot of the leaves are just brown, if they are on the trees at all. And all the raking...and it gets cold. I'm fine with maybe 2-3 days of snow in December around the holidays, it's alright. But after New Years, as you say, I'm ready for spring. I just hate the cold and snow dragging on forever.

Old 07-28-2014, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by L.A.-Mex View Post
Not really, january is mostly 70s, (with only about 2 90+ Days, if that is what you are reffering to), april and november is usually upper 70s to low 80s, and summers are in the 90s, that is 10 degrees up from winter to spring...

And if you are in the valleys it would be from upper 60s and low 70s in winter to upper 90s and low 100s in summer, that is 30 degree change, not like cities in the east but, you can certaintly feel the change, but its also more gradual change.

But the beaches really have the least variation.
For Christ's sake, LA in winter averages mid-to-upper 60sF most of the time. (Los Angeles - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia). Every now and then a warm spell will hit with days of 70F or above, but that only lasts for a few days before it gets back to its usual chill.

Old 07-28-2014, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Min-Chi-Cbus View Post
I hope for your sake that you don't end up going to hell, because something tells me that El Diablo and friends don't set the thermostat to 55 to "torture" their victims! Warm sunshine with a cool breeze is my idea of heaven, and even if it's not yours, it certainly isn't "hellacious"!!!
I agree: I enjoy warm days with a cool breeze. For me, 75F-89F with a cool breeze is paradise (70-74F is nice warm weather, but with a breeze may feel a bit cooler). I'm just not a fan of cloudy cool weather, especially in summer, which is what San Francisco offers most of the time. Granted, this summer there has been pleasant and warmer than usual.

Old 07-29-2014, 12:23 PM

2,098 posts, read 3,524,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawaii4evr View Post
For Christ's sake, LA in winter averages mid-to-upper 60sF most of the time. (Los Angeles - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia). Every now and then a warm spell will hit with days of 70F or above, but that only lasts for a few days before it gets back to its usual chill.
This has been an odd year for LA. January and February were consistently in the high 70s to high 80s. There were two major heat waves in the months of April and May and arguably we are going through another one right now. Soak it up while you can, it's quite nice compared to the polar vortex (and chilly summer) that much of the midwest and east coast has been having.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City