Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What's the best of the pack?
Pittsburgh 43 38.39%
Portland 42 37.50%
Oakland 27 24.11%
Voters: 112. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2014, 12:50 PM

36,653 posts, read 67,487,099 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by speagles84 View Post
Oakland also had 127 homicides last year. More than half as philly (which is 4 times as large) and three times as many as Pittsburgh (41). Such a neat place to live.
Yes, and Oakland's population is actually growing while Pittsburgh's is shrinking.

Stay safe and cheap tho:-)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2014, 01:46 PM

8,700 posts, read 14,689,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
The Oakland Metro Division actually has more foreign born residents than Philadelphia and Pittsburgh combined.

Foreign Born Population, 2013
Oakland Metro Division........753,727.....28.1% of the population
Philadelphia Metro Area.......602,478.....10.0% of the population
Pittsburgh Metro Area.............88,999......3.8% of the population

so anyway.
So basically more immigrants to be shot and killed in Oakland. Gotcha

Old 10-30-2014, 01:50 PM

8,700 posts, read 14,689,925 times
18MontClair's logic:

"Hmmm, this city is great but I can't live here because of the low percentage of foreign born residents."

"Hmmmm, this city is great, but I can't live here because of the small amount of Indian Millionaires."

"Yeah, this city. I can live here! It sucks, and has a high crime rate, but the South Asian population makes it desirable."

Old 10-30-2014, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RightonWalnut View Post
So basically more immigrants to be shot and killed in Oakland. Gotcha
Yeah, the prospect of getting shot in Oakland is still more palatable to foreigners than Philly+Pittsburgh. Combined.

I dont blame them.

Old 10-30-2014, 02:12 PM

4,240 posts, read 4,916,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RightonWalnut View Post
18MontClair's logic:

"Hmmm, this city is great but I can't live here because of the low percentage of foreign born residents."

"Hmmmm, this city is great, but I can't live here because of the small amount of Indian Millionaires."

"Yeah, this city. I can live here! It sucks, and has a high crime rate, but the South Asian population makes it desirable."
"San Francisco is a great city! So... Oakland is just as good! It's better than cities like Detroit and Camden!"

Also Montclair,

Pittsburgh Population
2010 - 305,704
2013 - 305,841 (+137)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pittsburgh

Funny how everytime you reference population loss in Pittsburgh, you neglect to use the only official number (from 2010) and just show the estimate corrections....

Old 10-30-2014, 03:18 PM

1,782 posts, read 2,084,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
Yes, and Oakland's population is actually growing while Pittsburgh's is shrinking.

Stay safe and cheap tho:-)
Safe, cheap, cosmopolitan influence, and in easy reach of awesome natural activities, yep you summed up a few of Pittsburgh's strengths. You are learning! I guess miracles do happen.

Old 10-30-2014, 03:23 PM

4,240 posts, read 4,916,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by airwave09 View Post
Safe, cheap, cosmopolitan influence, and in easy reach of awesome natural activities, yep you summed up a few of Pittsburgh's strengths. You are learning! I guess miracles do happen.
To show Pittsburgh is "shrinking" he is just using the 2011 overestimate of nearly 307,000 and showing the 2013 estimate is a hair under 306,000. Instead of showing 2010 (an actual census of 305,704) to 2013 (305,841).

Old 10-30-2014, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by airwave09 View Post
"Cosmopolitan Influence" from where? West Virginia?

Pittsburgh is 86% White and 3% Foreign Born.

Statistical Area........2013 Population.....Non Hispanic White Population....% White
Oakland Metro Division..............2,673,096......1,057,950.... ..39.5%
Pittsburgh Metro Area................2,360,867......2,356,285...... 86.4%

Foreign Born Population, 2013
Oakland Metro Division........753,727.....28.1% of the population
Pittsburgh Metro Area.............88,999......3.8% of the population

And its Metro Area's growth rate is constipated.

Statistical Area................2013 Population......2010-2013 Population Growth Rate
Oakland Metro Division...................2,673,096........+4.16%
Pittsburgh Metro Area.....................2,360,867.........+0.19%

Old 10-30-2014, 04:25 PM

6,843 posts, read 10,956,393 times
Oakland is a huge immigrant center. Not saying it's better than a slice of Americana by any means, because that's preference or whatever, but Oakland has a VERY solid foundation in ethnic composition and nationalities. It's probably pound for pound even more impressive than San Francisco or San Jose.

If you look at it's averages, it's actually HIGHER than the San Francisco Bay Area's averages as a whole. Meaning, it's probably the most cosmopolitan in composition of the three main cities, at the least.

Old 10-30-2014, 11:34 PM

37,127 posts, read 39,357,090 times
Didn't Pittsburgh's population finally go back to a net positive? I think it's following general rust belt and northeast city trends where it's been mostly an accelerating decline since the mid 20th century with a maximum acceleration around 70s and 80s, an absolute nadir in either the 90s/00s before the curve reaches an inflection point either in the 00s or 10s (right now). If Pittsburgh is actually following that curve, then it's likely to slowly pick up steam every year in terms of population growth which means it's probably a good place to start putting down stakes right now.

I wish Pittsburgh had better mass transit. Both Oakland and Portland seem to have significantly more extensive systems. Pittsburgh seems to have an obvious case for a rail line from downtown connecting to Oakland (essentially the second CBD of Pittsburgh) and beyond, but it doesn't look to be happening anytime soon. It seems really sensible for Pittsburgh since these are so close to each other with one hosting a massive student body and because the city has a lot of jobs within those two CBDs.

As I see it, the pros of Pittsburgh compared to the other two are:
- Higher employment rate
- A large and diverse number of fortune 500 company headquarters (as opposed to Oakland where the fortune 500 companies are mostly in the other metropolitan divisions of the MSA or CSA or Portland which has relatively few fortune 500 companies), a large medical research and practice base, two major research universities, and a number of high tech, especially robotics, companies located within the city which can offer a diverse and large number of high-paying jobs
- A low cost of living to go along with those jobs which allows for a really great quality of life
- Inheriting the bones of a previously much higher "tier" city which gives it a number of cultural institutions fitting for a much larger US city and a diverse and mostly intact housing stock that run the gamut of beautiful historic architectural styles from a time when city neighborhoods had to be walkable by default
- A somewhat more central location that puts a lot of interesting cities and sites within fairly close reach for weekend or day trips
- A strong local culture that is still very distinctive
- Relative safety from major natural catastrophes in comparison to the possible ruinous and unpredictable earthquakes on the West Coast

The cons compared to the other two:
- Distance from the ocean (I like oceans)
- Relatively less extensive mass transit than the other two
- Being part of a much smaller metro (in comparison to Oakland specifically)
- Far more variable and temperamental climate/seasons
- More draconian liquor laws as a result of being in Pennsylvania
- An airport without international flights, though with many easy connections through nearby major airports in Philadelphia, DC, and NYC (not nearly the same as a direct flight though)

Last edited by OyCrumbler; 10-31-2014 at 12:15 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City