Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What's the best of the pack?
Pittsburgh 43 38.39%
Portland 42 37.50%
Oakland 27 24.11%
Voters: 112. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2014, 05:55 AM

4,576 posts, read 9,160,255 times

Advertisements

Based on the poll results it seems a lot of voters are probably in their 20's and don't have careers yet.

Portland's economy is pretty lackluster. It is like San Diego's economy, minus the SD military and wealthy retirees.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2014, 08:29 AM

36,653 posts, read 67,499,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post

As I see it, the pros of Pittsburgh compared to the other two are:
- Higher employment rate
At this point, Pittsburgh doesnt have enough of an advantage over the other 2 to make much of a difference.
Once you dip below 6%, the job market is relatively healthy.

Unemployment Rate, Sep 2014
Pittsburgh Metro Area 4.6%
Oakland Metro Division 5.7%
Portland Metro Area 5.7%

Unemployment Rates for Large Metropolitan Areas
Table 2. Civilian labor force and unemployment by state, selected metropolitan area, and metropolitan division (1)

Quote:
- A large and diverse number of fortune 500 company headquarters (as opposed to Oakland where the fortune 500 companies are mostly in the other metropolitan divisions of the MSA or CSA or Portland which has relatively few fortune 500 companies)
Regardless and comparison aside, from the standpoint of access to opportunities, Oaklanders are within commuting distance of 30 Fortune 500 companies. #boom

That alone is breathtaking.

As far as wages, this should come as no surprise:
Average Wage Per Job, 2012
Oakland Metro Division $64,625
Pittsburgh Metro Area $48,523

People love to talk about cost of living, but this^ figure represents the "average"-meaning half of the people earn more, many considerably more.

Households Earning $150,000+, 2013
Oakland Metro Division.........197,279....21.5% of all households
Pittsburgh Metro Area.............82,970......8.4% of all households

Oakland is also far more entrepreneureal:

Self Employed Persons, 2013
Oakland Metro Division105,456 8.2%
Pittsburgh Metro Area 52,376 4.2%

And Oakland has a much more robust rate of job creation at this time:

Change in Non Farm Jobs, Sep 2013-Sep 2014
Oakland Metro Division +21,200
Pittsburgh Metro Area +7,500

Quote:
- A low cost of living to go along with those jobs which allows for a really great quality of life
Then why , be it city or metro, does Pittsburgh have a higher poverty rate than Oakland?

Last edited by 18Montclair; 10-31-2014 at 09:25 AM..

Old 10-31-2014, 10:19 AM

1,782 posts, read 2,085,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Didn't Pittsburgh's population finally go back to a net positive?
It has indeed reached an inflection point where the future should be filled with increasing growth. This is happening even while having the nations only natural decline in a large metro area weighing down the overall population growth.

Quote:
I wish Pittsburgh had better mass transit. Both Oakland and Portland seem to have significantly more extensive systems. Pittsburgh seems to have an obvious case for a rail line from downtown connecting to Oakland (essentially the second CBD of Pittsburgh) and beyond, but it doesn't look to be happening anytime soon. It seems really sensible for Pittsburgh since these are so close to each other with one hosting a massive student body and because the city has a lot of jobs within those two CBDs.
There is actually a BRT line in the works similar to Cleveland's Health Line That will connect Downtown and Oakland. I know its not as sexy as light rail, but the cost and time to implement are much much more favorable for BRT which is essentially why it is being pursued. However, once all the right-aways are completely established for BRT, plans for putting rail lines in on the BTR lanes would be the obvious next step.

Quote:
- An airport without international flights, though with many easy connections through nearby major airports in Philadelphia, DC, and NYC (not nearly the same as a direct flight though)
There is a daily direct flight to Paris offered by Delta both to and from PIT. This makes it very easy to connect to hundreds of places across Europe and the middle east with only one connecting flight from Pittsburgh. So you are not always doomed to having to connect at crowded east coast airports when travelling overseas.

Old 10-31-2014, 08:00 PM

6,327 posts, read 9,151,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
"Cosmopolitan Influence" from where? West Virginia?

Pittsburgh is 86% White and 3% Foreign Born.

Statistical Area........2013 Population.....Non Hispanic White Population....% White
Oakland Metro Division..............2,673,096......1,057,950.... ..39.5%
Pittsburgh Metro Area................2,360,867......2,356,285...... 86.4%

Foreign Born Population, 2013
Oakland Metro Division........753,727.....28.1% of the population
Pittsburgh Metro Area.............88,999......3.8% of the population

And its Metro Area's growth rate is constipated.

Statistical Area................2013 Population......2010-2013 Population Growth Rate
Oakland Metro Division...................2,673,096........+4.16%
Pittsburgh Metro Area.....................2,360,867.........+0.19%
Who cares unless you're that much of a racist to worry about what percentage of a race lives where. Every time I see you post I hear this in my head.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ss2hULhXf04

Old 11-01-2014, 07:09 AM

2,502 posts, read 3,373,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradjl2009 View Post
Who cares unless you're that much of a racist to worry about what percentage of a race lives where. Every time I see you post I hear this in my head.

People from West Virginia are typically more interesting than from California. Uniqueness and true individuality trumps Cosmo sheeplehood. Pittsburgh has a copiuos amount of the former...the Bay Area is LOADED with the latter.

Old 11-01-2014, 07:34 AM

36,653 posts, read 67,499,960 times
Yawns. I am more than willing to indulge the rantings of hokey, flyover people as much as the next charitable person, but eventually they need to put up or shut up.

When you gravitate away from factual attributes you do have like cheapness and delve into Coastal things like "Cosmopolitanism", then you come off as delusional.

http://www.s4.brown.edu/us2010/Data/...rt08292012.pdf

Northern CA is home to 12 of the 25 Most Diverse Cities in the US.

Enough with the BORING sour grapes. Now tell me about Pittsburgh?

Old 11-01-2014, 09:10 AM

1,325 posts, read 2,365,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradjl2009 View Post

I agree, and I think people like spitting out race statistics because it perpetuates positive attributes of a city, when in fact its just a number on paper and one of the many attributes that individuals weight their importance. If someone likes to see a lot of Filipinos and can deal with a higher crime rate, then fine and vice versa.

That being said, if i had to choose of the 3 locations, i would probably choose Oakland since i am in IT, and it would benefit my career being in the Bay Area. However, the high housing cost is an issue. To me high housing cost is beneficial IF i already own a home and I like bragging about a house value like someone brags about their BMW/Rolex/25 Course Meal, but not a reason for me to move there in the first place. Whether a higher salary and higher cost of living would offset that i have not clue, but its not a guarantee, since it didnt offset when i moved from Chicago to NYC.

Old 11-01-2014, 01:54 PM

6,327 posts, read 9,151,356 times
Quote:
Yawns. I am more than willing to indulge the rantings of hokey, flyover people as much as the next charitable person, but eventually they need to put up or shut up.

When you gravitate away from factual attributes you do have like cheapness and delve into Coastal things like "Cosmopolitanism", then you come off as delusional.

http://www.s4.brown.edu/us2010/Data/...rt08292012.pdf

Northern CA is home to 12 of the 25 Most Diverse Cities in the US.

Enough with the BORING sour grapes. Now tell me about Pittsburgh?
Why bother with someone as thick headed as you?

Old 11-01-2014, 02:55 PM

9,961 posts, read 17,517,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by midwest1 View Post
People from West Virginia are typically more interesting than from California. Uniqueness and true individuality trumps Cosmo sheeplehood. Pittsburgh has a copiuos amount of the former...the Bay Area is LOADED with the latter.
People from West Virginia are basically the Most Interesting Man in the World en masse... They're just amazing people in every aspect of life.

Old 11-03-2014, 10:52 PM

14,673 posts, read 14,635,860 times
Quote:
Thats right, Im fine. Its you people whose cities are about to turn into frozen, uninhabitable tundras in a few months. I should be worried about you. Poor dears.
No different than the cold, winter rains of the Bay Area which go for days on end, though I hear that may no longer be an issue.
Anyway, my dad can run faster than your dad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City