Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2014, 07:02 AM

26,875 posts, read 38,010,075 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Don't really agree with that. The city and metro is very small, so having Old Quebec being small still means a large proportion of the population lives in a very dense urban environment and there is a good portion of the historic area outside of the walled fortifications that is not dominated by solely tourists. There are also some other notable traits such as having an extremely hilly city built overlooking a massive river and being the capital of a province that is home to a people with a language that is fairly unique for the North American continent and being used by a people that descend from one of the oldest European settler communities on the continent.
And there are no TGI Friday's there either!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2014, 09:21 AM

14,798 posts, read 17,676,840 times
Montreal.

Old 09-08-2014, 10:36 AM

1,280 posts, read 1,856,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eastcoasting View Post
Camden, NJ

Make it out alive and you won't ever forget it, you'll be telling your grandkids about it.
Well done, my lord, well done!

Old 09-08-2014, 12:40 PM

16,508 posts, read 26,291,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cityguy7 View Post
Then I suppose New Orleans looks like Jakcson, Little Rock, Birmingham too. Or are they not good enough cities to booster about New Orleans with?
No. I don't even know your point. No other city looks like New Orleans in America.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cityguy7 View Post
That "French" thing is why people think New Orleans is unique to begin with.

All the things tourists relish about New Orleans (food, architecture, festival etc) are all derived from Francophone culture. It's certainly not it's vibrancy, there are plenty of more vibrant cities than NOLA than in the US alone. And it's most certainly not the southern black people and white people and their culture which there aren't any shortages of in the country.
Most of New Orleans culture has little to do with Parisian French culture. It's all a blend of Caribbean, African, Creole, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawn.Davenport View Post

8. New Orleans, Louisiana, USA - Quintessential Southern city with French flair.

9. Savannah, Georgia, USA - Quintessential Southern city
Do you see the problem here.

Nothing about New Orleans is quintessential.

Old 09-08-2014, 12:40 PM

1,772 posts, read 3,517,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Don't really agree with that. The city and metro is very small, so having Old Quebec being small still means a large proportion of the population lives in a very dense urban environment and there is a good portion of the historic area outside of the walled fortifications that is not dominated by solely tourists. There are also some other notable traits such as having an extremely hilly city built overlooking a massive river and being the capital of a province that is home to a people with a language that is fairly unique for the North American continent and being used by a people that descend from one of the oldest European settler communities on the continent.
Population of the Quebec City Metro: 765,706
Population of le Vieux Quebec: 4,786

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlajos View Post
Montreal.
To me, Montreal feels like a carbon copy of Minneapolis with better public transportation. Oh, yeah, the people speak French. But otherwise, it just feels like a generic, clean, relatively big, relatively diverse, cosmopolitan North American city.

By, the way, I'm not a Quebec hater at all. My dad, while from New Brunswick, is the decedent of 13 generations of Quebecers. I go to Montreal once or twice times a year (more so when I lived in Syracuse) and I adore Île d'Orléans. But I feel that, overall, Quebec is far more North-American-feeling than it is European-feeling.

Old 09-08-2014, 12:46 PM

15,102 posts, read 15,867,852 times
Quote:
Population of the Quebec City Metro: 765,706
Population of le Vieux Quebec: 4,786

To me, Montreal feels like a carbon copy of Minneapolis with better public transportation. Oh, yeah, the people speak French. But otherwise, it just feels like a generic, clean, relatively big, relatively diverse, cosmopolitan North American city.

By, the way, I'm not a Quebec hater at all. My dad, while from New Brunswick, is the decedent of 13 generations of Quebecers. I go to Montreal once or twice times a year (more so when I lived in Syracuse) and I adore Île d'Orléans. But I feel that, overall, Quebec is far more North-American-feeling than it is European-feeling.
Another American compared Minneapolis to Toronto in the world forum - now Montreal feels like a carbon copy of it as well... hmmm

Can you find architecture like this in Minneapolis?

https://www.google.ca/search?q=archi...ed=0CAYQ_AUoAQ

Somehow I just don't think this tourism video would fly for Minneapolis but - hey I could totally be underestimating Minneapolis...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a5Ob9qpmeLc

Old 09-08-2014, 01:12 PM

1,772 posts, read 3,517,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
Another American compared Minneapolis to Toronto in the world forum - now Montreal feels like a carbon copy of it as well... hmmm

Can you find architecture like this in Minneapolis?

https://www.google.ca/search?q=archi...ed=0CAYQ_AUoAQ

Somehow I just don't think this tourism video would fly for Minneapolis but - hey I could totally be underestimating Minneapolis...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a5Ob9qpmeLc
Minneapolis does feel more Canadian than other American cities. It's cleaner, the people are better educated and more passive aggressive, and they do a better job of hiding poverty.

Though Minneapolis has nothing like Old Montreal, you'll still get charm and cobblestone streets by Nicollet Island. Upton feels like the Latin Quarter. Hennepin Ave. feels like Rue Ste. Catherine. Southeast Minneapolis reminds me of le Plateau Mont-Real.

Both cities have a high number of Asian immigrants. Both have thriving LGBT communities. Both cities have big, glistening modern skylines on the river. Both have great theatre scenes, and amazing fringe festivals. Both have similar weather.

http://www.vitacaptus.com/wp-content...s-1024x682.jpg

http://theblackcordelias.files.wordp...ng-preview.jpg

http://www.ridewithcities.com/wp-con...38214Small.jpg

Old 09-08-2014, 01:16 PM

3,453 posts, read 4,527,042 times
Quote:
You definitely are wrong here. It 100% does not at all "feel like" Minneapolis. Is this because "both are cold?" The feel of each city is very, very different.

Old 09-08-2014, 02:34 PM

676 posts, read 960,577 times
Quote:
Minneapolis does feel more Canadian than other American cities. It's cleaner, the people are better educated and more passive aggressive, and they do a better job of hiding poverty.

Though Minneapolis has nothing like Old Montreal, you'll still get charm and cobblestone streets by Nicollet Island. Upton feels like the Latin Quarter. Hennepin Ave. feels like Rue Ste. Catherine. Southeast Minneapolis reminds me of le Plateau Mont-Real.

Both cities have a high number of Asian immigrants. Both have thriving LGBT communities. Both cities have big, glistening modern skylines on the river. Both have great theatre scenes, and amazing fringe festivals. Both have similar weather.

http://www.vitacaptus.com/wp-content...s-1024x682.jpg

http://theblackcordelias.files.wordp...ng-preview.jpg

http://www.ridewithcities.com/wp-con...38214Small.jpg
You're joking, right? Hennepin feels like Sainte-Catherine???????

SE MPLS reminds you of Le Plateau??????? SE MPLS is basically Dinkytown, Stadium Village, and the U's campus. 4th Street in Dinkytown is like 2 blocks of Saint-Laurent, while Stadium Village is like 1.5 blocks of Avenue du Mont-Royal.

Also, take a look outside of the touristy parts of Montreal. What in Minneapolis feels remotely like Cote-des-Neiges? Like Hochelaga? Like Chinatown? Like Verdun? Outremont?

What in Montreal resembles SW Minneapolis, for that matter? LaSalle?

Old 09-08-2014, 03:20 PM

10,745 posts, read 23,804,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheese plate View Post
You definitely are wrong here. It 100% does not at all "feel like" Minneapolis. Is this because "both are cold?" The feel of each city is very, very different.
Agreed, the food and nightlife alone in Montreal give the city an abundance of distinction all its own. Very poor analogy used there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City