Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-01-2014, 01:37 PM

657 posts, read 802,144 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheese plate View Post
I would argue the exact opposite - there are some other southern towns in the US that have echoes of New Orleans, but there's nothing else outside that region in the world that is particularly reminiscent of NOLA. NOLA has its own distinct culture from food to art to music to local accents - it would be my US pick, easily. Certainly NYC is unique due to scale, but you can find pockets of that "feel" elsewhere in a way you cannot when discussing NOLA. Did you mean just the "French" thing? If so, I have to believe you've never been to NOLA.
Okay
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2014, 02:55 PM

587 posts, read 1,410,963 times
San Francisco for many different reasons. The Golden Gate bridge, the Bay bridge, the steep hills, the architecture. Also, what city in North America has SF's fog and weather? 60 degree days in July. Plus people embracing the unique San Franciscan freedom of walking the streets naked and people smoking weed in public everywhere.

Old 09-01-2014, 04:04 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,722,105 times
A friend of mine has been to all 50 states, and she said there were three that stood out as very different, Hawaii, New Mexico, and I can't remember the 3rd. But that would include Santa Fe on this list. Honolulu for some reason isn't on it. I guess for US, I'd say Santa Fe. I might add Key West. Don't know for the rest of NA, have never been to Mex. Toronto, Vancouver and Victoria seemed like most American cities.

Old 09-01-2014, 04:27 PM

15,102 posts, read 15,871,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LunaticVillage View Post
San Francisco for many different reasons. The Golden Gate bridge, the Bay bridge, the steep hills, the architecture. Also, what city in North America has SF's fog and weather? 60 degree days in July. Plus people embracing the unique San Franciscan freedom of walking the streets naked and people smoking weed in public everywhere.
Let me get this straight - If you were to walk down Market street on any given day buck naked - like letting it all hang out from top of head to the tips of the toes and smoking a blunt at the same time, nothing would happen to you?

Old 09-01-2014, 04:41 PM

2,033 posts, read 1,983,459 times
New York because it's New York
San Francisco because of the Iconic structures, Cable Cars, hills and a real urban landscape all rolled into one.
New Orleans for French influence and distinct cuisine.
Santa Fe for the Southwest experience
Miami for the beaches
Las Vegas for the strip

Old 09-01-2014, 09:18 PM

1,353 posts, read 1,643,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
Let me get this straight - If you were to walk down Market street on any given day buck naked - like letting it all hang out from top of head to the tips of the toes and smoking a blunt at the same time, nothing would happen to you?
Likely not. You have to wear "something", as in A article of clothing, because to be fully nude with absolutely nothing on is recently illegal. So people wear shoes, or a hat, or a flap over their thing, etc.

I'm pretty sure nobody's ever been arrested for smoking or eating weed in SF. Everyone goes to the parks on the weekends and they have "vendors" that walk around selling things, like cracking coconuts open and filling them with rum, or selling edible marijuana treats, or pizzas, etc. The whole city would need to be arrested if drugs, nudity, and other random debauchery were considered a problem.

The city does turn a hypocritical blind eye to the homeless, though. They can s-hit anywhere, yell and scream at people passing by, panhandle, etc. If you clearly have a job and your head on your shoulders, you can be high as s-hit walking around with friends so long as you don't "act" high as s-hit. And if you're drunk, you are not allowed to find a random alley to pee in. Only the homeless can do that. They're allowed to poop on your doorstep and sleep there, as well.

I would seriously put SF up there as one of the most distinct cities in the country for sure.

Old 09-01-2014, 09:25 PM

1,284 posts, read 1,260,641 times
Other cities that deserve a mention on this list are:

Chicago....already mentioned

Seattle

Vancouver BC

Personally, my vote goes to Anchorage, Alaska, but I am hugely biases because that city has everything I am looking for

Incidentally, I am a Los Angeles County Native

Old 09-01-2014, 09:38 PM

2,314 posts, read 4,797,381 times
I think New Orleans, Savannah, Charleston, and Santa Fe. And Honolulu (even though it's technically part of no continent).

Don't know much about Mexico, but in Canada I'd say Montreal and Quebec.

Old 09-02-2014, 03:31 PM

5,652 posts, read 6,985,708 times
Mexico City is fantastic, but it's a megalopolis and in many regards, just another huge city. IMO, even within Mexico there are more "unique" small cities. Like Oaxaca.

Even before reading the first post, I thought "QC and NOLA". And even after reading several pages of this thread, I'll stick with those two. Both are like walking into another culture.

I suppose Honolulu (or any Hawai'ian city) would feel that way as well - especially since it seems there's a Japanese wedding happening every eight minutes and God forbid you ask for directions (take Kuahilili two blocks to Huikulili, then make your second left on Halilikua) so I'll throw a nod there too.

Old 09-06-2014, 11:39 AM

317 posts, read 378,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mega man View Post
Not once did I say they look alike. I said that comparisons could easily be drawn by a tourist who doesn't know any better: very tall buildings, bustling street activity, lack of local flavor but filled with the presence and influences from all over the globe...IN THE TOURIST AREAS. I made this point perfectly clear but some just choose not to grasp it for whatever reason.

I honestly don't know how to explain my point any clearer, and I guess I really don't care to.
LOL. When you try to be fanboyishly (yeah not in the dictionary) biased like that try not to be so blatantly obvious about it.

Southern accents, southern white people, black people, black people with southern accents, southern food, southern style music, lack of Hispanics and Asains... with your level of reasoning most cities in the southern US can be made to feel like New Orelans.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City