Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city is better?
Philadelphia 33 57.89%
Miami 24 42.11%
Voters: 57. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2014, 07:06 AM

11,998 posts, read 12,927,632 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawaii4evr View Post
Philly doesn't have cool summers...they are hot and muggy
This Summer is cooler than normal however-it has been very nice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2014, 07:07 AM

5,294 posts, read 10,203,482 times
Yeah, THIS summer. But normally, summers out here are rather hot and muggy, and not much relief at night. To say Philly has "cool summers" just ain't true.

Old 08-18-2014, 09:05 AM

8,700 posts, read 14,689,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawaii4evr View Post
Yeah, THIS summer. But normally, summers out here are rather hot and muggy, and not much relief at night. To say Philly has "cool summers" just ain't true.
Philly summers on average are a few degrees cooler during the day than Miami and MUCH cooler at night. Over ten degrees cooler at night than in Miami

http://www.weather.com/weather/wxcli...graph/USFL0316
http://www.weather.com/weather/wxcli...graph/USPA1276

Old 08-18-2014, 09:40 AM

9,327 posts, read 12,999,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Summersm343 View Post
Philly summers on average are a few degrees cooler during the day than Miami and MUCH cooler at night. Over ten degrees cooler at night than in Miami

Average Weather for Miami, FL - Temperature and Precipitation
Average Weather for Philadelphia, PA - Temperature and Precipitation
More importantly, Philly humidity (while not exactly a picnic) is nowhere near as stifling.

Old 08-18-2014, 12:02 PM

2,098 posts, read 3,523,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
Weather - Philly - nice summers, fairly mild winters
Not sure about this one. I think Philly is wildly regarding as having some of the most brutal summers in the northeast -- and some of the poorest seasonal air quality to boot.

And while Philly has a lot of colleges, I'm not sure how educated it's people truly are. It doesn't strike me as a "smart" city.

Old 08-18-2014, 12:44 PM

9,327 posts, read 12,999,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freshflakes757 View Post
Not sure about this one. I think Philly is wildly regarding as having some of the most brutal summers in the northeast -- and some of the poorest seasonal air quality to boot.

And while Philly has a lot of colleges, I'm not sure how educated it's people truly are. It doesn't strike me as a "smart" city.
That depends where you draw the line on Northeast. Baltimore and DC are definitely worse. NYC is almost the same. But I'd still take a DC summer over a Florida summer.

And it all depends on where you're looking for them. Center City, University City, Chestnut Hill, etc., are very smart, and I'm almost certain Philadelphia (both as a city and a metro) is significantly more educated than Miami-Dade County.

Old 08-18-2014, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavenWood View Post
That depends where you draw the line on Northeast. Baltimore and DC are definitely worse. NYC is almost the same. But I'd still take a DC summer over a Florida summer.

And it all depends on where you're looking for them. Center City, University City, Chestnut Hill, etc., are very smart, and I'm almost certain Philadelphia (both as a city and a metro) is significantly more educated than Miami-Dade County.
It's all subjective anyway. People rave that NYC is the smartest city in America, yet when I worked there I never met more closed minded and "yes men" types. Didn't really meet any creative or REALLY smart types. So I'm not sure where to draw the line.

Giving it more thought, you are right that MIA isn't the smartest city either though. That might go for most of Florida in general though, hence why the living is easy down there.

One time I was at a wedding in Baltimore and chatted up a mutual friend who recently transferred at a company from the Baltimore to NYC office. She said it was because she felt she was surrounded by dumb people in Baltimore. I was kind of like...alright. Not sure if people in NYC are really that much brighter anyway

Old 08-18-2014, 02:05 PM

8,700 posts, read 14,689,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freshflakes757 View Post
It's all subjective anyway. People rave that NYC is the smartest city in America, yet when I worked there I never met more closed minded and "yes men" types. Didn't really meet any creative or REALLY smart types. So I'm not sure where to draw the line.

Giving it more thought, you are right that MIA isn't the smartest city either though. That might go for most of Florida in general though, hence why the living is easy down there.

One time I was at a wedding in Baltimore and chatted up a mutual friend who recently transferred at a company from the Baltimore to NYC office. She said it was because she felt she was surrounded by dumb people in Baltimore. I was kind of like...alright. Not sure if people in NYC are really that much brighter anyway
You make a lot of ridiculous claims and then have no facts to back them up. What does NYC have anything to do with a thread about Philadelphia and Miami?

I posted links proving that on average, Philadelphia is milder and less humid than Miami.

The Philadelphia area is also more educated than the Miami area, and Philadelphia has one of the most skilled/highly educated downtown populations in the country, where the majority of residents have a bachelor's degree at least.

Old 08-18-2014, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Summersm343 View Post
You make a lot of ridiculous claims and then have no facts to back them up. What does NYC have anything to do with a thread about Philadelphia and Miami?

The Philadelphia area is also more educated than the Miami area, and Philadelphia has one of the most skilled/highly educated downtown populations in the country, where the majority of residents have a bachelor's degree at least.
BS. OK so my opinion is so bad but you don't have any facts to back up your last sentence either then? Should I just believe it because you posess such high forms of superiority?

Old 08-18-2014, 02:15 PM

Average Weather In July For Miami, Florida, USA - WeatherSpark
Average Weather In July For Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USA - WeatherSpark

Very similar humidity rates in July for MIA and PHL. But we forget that PHL also has craptastic winters compared to MIA. A warm winter goes a long way in a major city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City