Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: The following city has the greatest influence on the rest of the U.S.A...
New York City 502 68.30%
Los Angeles 233 31.70%
Voters: 735. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2009, 12:09 AM

4,906 posts, read 6,851,469 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
You said it IS crime ridden, not that it is "MORE" crime ridden than NYC. But you seem to twist posts around after the fact so that's not surprising you seem to take it as a way to boost NYC when all I was trying to do is point out how much safer LA has become. Both are safe cities statistically, I would think someone who supposedly "loves" LA and NYC would be proud of that but apparently not.
Lol... have you ever lived in LA??? I doubt it. LA is full of gangs from the tip of the valley to the port of San Pedro..in every neighborhood.
What a coincidence that you call me out for saying LA is crime ridden, but not Bergen County whatever for syaing that NYC is crime ridden, even though your stats show that NYC isn't. Your attempt to act objective is transparent.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2009, 12:12 AM

18,983 posts, read 32,686,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lamexican View Post
Lol..you called him a foriegner with no reading comprehension, and yet you state no offense???
hahah, I know its kind of harsh but I didn't know how else to put it honestly. It's what I honestly thought this whole time.

Old 06-24-2009, 12:15 AM

4,906 posts, read 6,851,469 times
Quote:
So you pick the ghetto to take a look at then apply it to the entire city. WTF kind of logic is that? LA has plenty of nice parts, usually on the westside of the city and near the hills but maybe you just never left your South LA ghetto or something. Plenty of the city is dumpy looking but I feel there are lots of nice areas too, again this all opinion since not everyone has the same definition of "ghetto".
I repeat that I doubt you ever lived in LA.. Lets go by regions shall we.

The San Fernado valley...... Ghetto.

The West Side.... half ghetto

Hollywood....Ghetto

The east Side.....Ghetto ( Boyle Heights)

Venice beach...mostly ghetto

Westchester....Ok not ghetto

The entire south side all the way to San Pedro.....Ghetto.

Downtown....mostly ghetto although it has improved... not enough to remove the ghetto label.

Mostly all of the nice parts aren't even in LA..they are in other cities like Santa Monica, Malibu, Redondo Beach etc....

Old 06-24-2009, 12:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nycricanpapi View Post
You would not understand because you are not a New Yorker. You should ask another New Yorker about the NY attitude or the NY state of mind they will explain to you very well. Again it seems that you should go to school again and please take History because you really need it. Like I said, Puerto Ricans are not foreigners. They are emmigrants not immigrants (foreigners). Should I tell you the definition of emmigrant? Yeah I think so because it will benefit you. Emmigrant= Emigration is the act of leaving one's native country or region to settle in another. It is similar to immigration but not quite.

Now lets look at immigration. Ready? Ok here it is read carefully lol

Immigration-a person who comes to a country where they were not born in order to settle there

I hope that you learned something...
When I said "foreigner" it was mainly b/c you didn't seem like a native English speaker based on your posts. And yes I know Puerto Rico is a US territory. I apologize for calling you a foreigner but your posts just come across like that to me.

I don't care about New Yorkers, their attitudes, their "state of mind" or how great they think it makes them. It's all BS to me anyways.

Old 06-24-2009, 12:17 AM

3,003 posts, read 6,095,781 times
At the end of the day im not even sure whats being argued here. Can we get back to the topic on hand. U know the whole influence thing

Old 06-24-2009, 12:20 AM

3,003 posts, read 6,095,781 times
Quote:

Hollywood....Ghetto

Downtown....mostly ghetto although it has improved... not enough to remove the ghetto label.

Mostly all of the nice parts aren't even in LA..they are in other cities like Santa Monica, Malibu, Redondo Beach etc....
And u got people giving the bronx and brooklyn a rough time. SMH

Old 06-24-2009, 12:21 AM

Quote:
Lol... have you ever lived in LA??? I doubt it. LA is full of gangs from the tip of the valley to the port of San Pedro..in every neighborhood.
What a coincidence that you call me out for saying LA is crime ridden, but not Bergen County whatever for syaing that NYC is crime ridden, even though your stats show that NYC isn't. Your attempt to act objective is transparent.
I do not know NYC that well at all, so I feel in no position to call Bergen County out for calling NYC crime ridden b/c I do not know how crime ridden the areas he was talking about actually are. NYC overall is safe but there are pockets of crime like every city. Plus I do not believe he even referred or indicated that all of NYC was crime ridden, just parts he didn't care to visit.

Old 06-24-2009, 12:22 AM

4,515 posts, read 9,706,499 times
Quote:
When I said "foreigner" it was mainly b/c you didn't seem like a native English speaker based on your posts. And yes I know Puerto Rico is a US territory. I apologize for calling you a foreigner but your posts just come across like that to me.

I don't care about New Yorkers, their attitudes, their "state of mind" or how great they think it makes them. It's all BS to me anyways.
You used foreigner in a bad context. OK let me define what foreign means so that you may learn.

Foreigner is a person who comes from a foreign country. AND Puerto Rico is not a foreign country LOL.

Last edited by CaseyB; 06-24-2009 at 06:21 AM.. Reason: rude

Old 06-24-2009, 12:29 AM

Quote:

Hollywood....Ghetto

No I havent lived in LA but have spent enough time to know the city, unlike KONY who seems to take everything he knows about LA from you.

The areas in the southern SFV along the SM Mountains are nice in places like Woodland Hills, Encino, Studio City, etc... Not ghetto IMO.

I wouldn't say 1/2 the Westside is ghetto at all, I think from Hancock Park west, south of Hollywood, and north of Venice Blvd is nice with some bad pockets here and there but overall good. Venice is dumpy but not what I would consider "ghetto"

And again I never even argued with your original "ghetto" comment b/c I realize how subjective it can be, I was just arguing about your "crime ridden" comment.

Old 06-24-2009, 12:33 AM

17,440 posts, read 28,621,660 times
Quote:

Agreed except for the southern part

Quote:
Cadillac-Corning and Del Rey aren't half the West Side. Palms and southern Mar Vista are run down and depressing but aren't quite ghetto (OK, maybe the very southwesternmost part of MV). In any case that would only be about 20% of the West Side. And the only "bad" neighborhoods on the West Side which would be considered bad neighborhoods in other parts of L.A. would be Cadillac-Corning and Venice's Oakwood.

Quote:
Hollywood....Ghetto
Not as ghetto as it used to be, although East Hollywood/Melrose Hill/Koreatown are very ghetto. The parts of Hollywood closest to West Hollywood and Fairfax are not ghetto at all. Nor is Franklin Village ghetto.
Los Feliz is the nicest neighborhood in all of L.A. I wouldn't consider Silver Lake to be ghetto nor is Hancock Park ghetto.
Hollywood fits your "half ghetto" remark more than the West Side.

Quote:
Except for Mount Washington which is about as "ghetto" as Pacific Palisades

Quote:
Not ghetto at all except for Oakwood/Ghost Town.

Quote:
Agreed.

Quote:
Agreed, except not all of Pedro's ghetto

Quote:
Downtown's about half ghetto. Kind of like Hollywood nowadays, I take it you haven't been in Hollywood lately.

It is true that NYC has less violent crime than L.A. though (and also less violent crime than San Francisco - not to mention FAR less than Oakland)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City