Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: The following city has the greatest influence on the rest of the U.S.A...
New York City 502 68.30%
Los Angeles 233 31.70%
Voters: 735. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2008, 12:37 PM

18,982 posts, read 32,677,908 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetclimber View Post
I would think that all the polls that have been done on here about NY vs LA would be enough to show you that by almost a 2 to 1 margin, America has spoken and finds NYC to be more desirable to live, more diverse, more important, more cosmopolitan, more influential, and just a better city. The poll results of the numerous "NYC vs LA" polls have spoken! Don't worry though, LA is still important, just a few steps behind NYC (and Chicago too!) so just accept it.
Do you really think City-Data.com represents "America"? Give me a break! Anyone with a half of brain realizes this site appeals to certain types of people and is no way representative of America.

You can find polls/studies where LA beats about both NYC and Chicago, like this one:
America's Most Miserable Cities - Forbes.com

Apparently NYC and Chicago are more "miserable" to live in than LA, according to this ONE study.

Basically just don't think for one minute that polls or threads on City-Data.com is representative of America or the majority of people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2008, 12:45 PM

162 posts, read 271,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
Do you really think City-Data.com represents "America"? Give me a break! Anyone with a half of brain realizes this site appeals to certain types of people and is no way representative of America.

You can find polls/studies where LA beats about both NYC and Chicago, like this one:
America's Most Miserable Cities - Forbes.com

Apparently NYC and Chicago are more "miserable" to live in than LA, according to this ONE study.

Basically just don't think for one minute that polls or threads on City-Data.com is representative of America or the majority of people.
According to Forbes, New York is "miserable" because of the high costs. High cost = desirable place to live.

I think this poll holds more weight because ACTUAL PEOPLE were surveyed and according to this poll, New York City is the most desirable city to live in the United States!

Harris Interactive | The Harris Poll - The Coasts Are Tops as California and New York City Are Most Popular Places People Would Choose to Live

Los Angeles is at the bottom!

Old 05-28-2008, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KYLE1 View Post
Oh yea, and San Franciscans hate Los Angeles. With a passion. Most would rather live in New York than in LA.

Most people I know here in Santa Barbra think LA is a slum, and don't like you Angelenos driving into Santa Barbara with your pollution, bad taste and gangs.

People in Orange County lock their car doors immediately when crossing the "Orange Curtain" and also think LA is ghetto.

So I don't know where you're getting this idea that all cities in California somehow love each other and live in peaceful harmony. What California are you living in?
Gee, SF, SB, and OC generally do not like LA, what a shock! Those are like the Trifecta for pretentious, snobby counties, the only thing missing is Marin County.

Old 05-28-2008, 12:53 PM

Quote:
According to Forbes, New York is "miserable" because of the high costs. High cost = desirable place to live.

I think this poll holds more weight because ACTUAL PEOPLE were surveyed and according to this poll, New York City is the most desirable city to live in the United States!

Harris Interactive | The Harris Poll - The Coasts Are Tops as California and New York City Are Most Popular Places People Would Choose to Live

Los Angeles is at the bottom!

There are other factors as well besides cost that make it miserable or did you not notice those?

And LA is not at the bottom, it actually ranks ABOVE CHICAGO for the most recent year.

great so you found a poll that supports what you want to say, like I did. Do you not see my point here?

also I was surprised San Diego ranked so high, didn't think it would rank ahead of more popular cities.

Old 05-28-2008, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
There are other factors as well besides cost that make it miserable or did you not notice those?

And LA is not at the bottom, it actually ranks ABOVE CHICAGO for the most recent year.

great so you found a poll that supports what you want to say, like I did. Do you not see my point here?

also I was surprised San Diego ranked so high, didn't think it would rank ahead of more popular cities.
If theres one thing we agree about, San Diego is quite beautiful and an amazing place to raise a family. Why wouldn't it rank so high? The only type of people that LA attracts are "actors" and illegals.

But seriously, I've never seen any sort of list where LA outranks NYC. It just never happens. We all know NYC always tops LA.

Old 05-28-2008, 01:11 PM

Quote:
If theres one thing we agree about, San Diego is quite beautiful and an amazing place to raise a family. Why wouldn't it rank so high? The only type of people that LA attracts are "actors" and illegals.

But seriously, I've never seen any sort of list where LA outranks NYC. It just never happens. We all know NYC always tops LA.
From spending time on this site I would not think SD would rank so high ahead of more "cosmopolitan" and "worldly" cities. But I guess that poll kind of shows what I was saying, that City-Data is not representative of America overall.

You just saw a list where LA ranked higher. Being a desirable place to live in very subjective and many times you can find a poll, study, or whatever to support whatever conclusion you want. But that's not what this thread was about anyways, I already acknowledged that I think NYC is more influential than LA, the fact that is has twice as many people alone should be a testament to that.

Old 05-28-2008, 04:10 PM

5,032 posts, read 12,614,733 times
Quote:
Oh yea, and San Franciscans hate Los Angeles. With a passion. Most would rather live in New York than in LA.

Most people I know here in Santa Barbra think LA is a slum, and don't like you Angelenos driving into Santa Barbara with your pollution, bad taste and gangs.

People in Orange County lock their car doors immediately when crossing the "Orange Curtain" and also think LA is ghetto.

So I don't know where you're getting this idea that all cities in California somehow love each other and live in peaceful harmony. What California are you living in?
Sorry but I have a hard time believing you live in Santa Barbara or anywhere in California, for that matter. I know it appears cool to claim you live in California but your statements suggest you likely live in some less than desirable area [ie upstate New York]. You've got all the old clichés & biases down pat.

Being a native Californian, unlike yourself, you would realize that any competition between LA & San Francisco is so passé & ancient. Obviously you are obsessed with Los Angeles as the perception for everything wrong in the world [btw did you get rejected from some girl or company in LA?

The issue remains what city influences the nation, not what city you would like to influence the US. Read back & you will discover that I preferred NYC over LA. But I am a realist & understand that because of all the elements identified that Los Angeles is more influential than New York [even if I don't like it.].

Yes, I agree that the image of Los Angeles on tv & movies is a narrow slice of the city. Very few can live in Malibu or Laguna Beach but that's what is often promoted. New York City has some very attractive/expensive neighborhoods but when I live there it was in Brooklyn [an area you'd never find in LA - at least our ghettos have front yards/trees

The point is don't go ballistic about California, but rather just accept that the image of LA for many Americans is a laid-back surfer pothead w/ 10 honey beach babes under each arm. Wealth isn't everything & nothing more than fantasy for most people.

Old 05-28-2008, 04:59 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,410,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by happ View Post
The point is don't go ballistic about California
But yet you just went ballistic on him, basically calling him a liar, uninformed, stupid and living in an undesireable location in upstate NY.

Really? I mean, cmon. Practice what you preach.

Old 05-28-2008, 05:49 PM

5,032 posts, read 12,614,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
But yet you just went ballistic on him, basically calling him a liar, uninformed, stupid and living in an undesireable location in upstate NY.

Really? I mean, cmon. Practice what you preach.
Pardon me, but all the mud slinging is from people on the East Coast. You read very little trash talk about either Chicago or New York but some of you eastern/middle-west guys make outlandish statements about LA. Like I've written before, people out here don't even think all that much about New York & do not take vacations to the East Coast [esp when it is so much more interesting to just stay in California - ie. things to do. How many people attend plays/opera? If they want that it is available to them in Los Angeles. Shopping is basically a woman's desire so I can't compare the 2 cities.

Honestly, the things NYC is known for aren't necessarily interesting to many Americans. When I lived in New York City I went to some great restaurants & a few plays. If I wanted to go to the beach it meant waiting until summer and only summer since it is too cold the rest of the year. If a person wants to attend ball games [baseball/football/basketball] NYC is fine but you see professional sports in many US cities & in more enjoyable settings.

New York is very limited in offering a variety of interests compared to Los Angeles & that's the summation of my opinion. No offense b/c I like NYC, lived in NYC & visit on occasion. But I also like to do things that you cannot do in NYC but can in Los Angeles [see aforementioned items

Another thing is how does NYC influence New York state? Most people see the state legislature as a reflection of the people. New York state is considered "blue" but tends to be much less progressive than California. One could assume that NYC doesn't have as much clout w/ the state or that New Yorkers are more conservative than they like to admit [ie Republican mayors].

Old 05-28-2008, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by happ View Post
Sorry but I have a hard time believing you live in Santa Barbara or anywhere in California, for that matter. I know it appears cool to claim you live in California but your statements suggest you likely live in some less than desirable area [ie upstate New York]. You've got all the old clichés & biases down pat.

Being a native Californian, unlike yourself, you would realize that any competition between LA & San Francisco is so passé & ancient. Obviously you are obsessed with Los Angeles as the perception for everything wrong in the world [btw did you get rejected from some girl or company in LA?

The issue remains what city influences the nation, not what city you would like to influence the US. Read back & you will discover that I preferred NYC over LA. But I am a realist & understand that because of all the elements identified that Los Angeles is more influential than New York [even if I don't like it.].

Yes, I agree that the image of Los Angeles on tv & movies is a narrow slice of the city. Very few can live in Malibu or Laguna Beach but that's what is often promoted. New York City has some very attractive/expensive neighborhoods but when I live there it was in Brooklyn [an area you'd never find in LA - at least our ghettos have front yards/trees

The point is don't go ballistic about California, but rather just accept that the image of LA for many Americans is a laid-back surfer pothead w/ 10 honey beach babes under each arm. Wealth isn't everything & nothing more than fantasy for most people.
You find it hard to believe I live in Santa Barbara? Now I live in Upstate, New York? LMAO!! Are you calling me a liar?

If I was trying to pass myself "cool" I would claim to live in a more "name brand" Malibu, Beverly Hills, Monte Carlo, Upper East Side or The Hamptons. Truth is, when I travel most people have no clue where Santa Barbara is. Not that it's any of your business, or that I care what someone like you thinks, but I was raised in Santa Barbara and go to USCSB but will be transferring to Columbia this fall and as far as I'm concerned we live in different worlds.

It's no secret that society here in Santa Barbara looks down on LA (not that you know anything about society or Santa Barbara, anyway), it's no secret that the sophisticated San Franciscans grimace whenever the word "Los Angeles" is mentioned and couldn't care less if LA dropped off the face of this planet, it's no secret that a large portion of people in Orange County are families fleed from ghetto and overrun-by-illegals LA and look down on the entire city. Go read the Orange County section of this forum, "LA is ghetto" is a sentiment very often expressed and you really can't deny it. As a matter of fact, I find it very hard to believe you live in Los Angeles if you think there is no tension between Northern California and Southern California or think the "Orange Curtain" doesn't exist. You must be another delusional wannabe "actor" LA fan boy from the Midwest. Boohoohoo, I am crushing your California dream.

And concerning Brooklyn, I also highly doubt you've ever lived in NYC either if you think "LA doesn't have a Brooklyn."

Why is it so hard for you to get it through your head? New York is cosmopolitan, LA isn't. New York is far more influential than LA ever dream of becoming.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City