Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Best City for College Football?
Atlanta 43 45.26%
Boston 2 2.11%
Chicago 4 4.21%
Dallas 7 7.37%
Houston 6 6.32%
Los Angeles 27 28.42%
San Francisco 0 0%
Seattle 6 6.32%
Washington DC 0 0%
Voters: 95. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2014, 12:04 PM

6,625 posts, read 14,481,589 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjimmy24 View Post
True. If these were at all a serious thread, the city choices would be more like Columbus, Austin, Ann Arbor, Baton Rouge, etc. Asking what major large city is best for college football is a dumb question, because none of them really have college football in their dna like some of the more mid sized cities do.
I get what you're saying, but those cities don't necessarily breathe college football as much as they do a specific team. Some of the aforementioned cities like Atlanta, Dallas and Washington DC have high populations of many different fanbases...so I think they are better when it comes to college football as a whole.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2014, 12:10 PM

5,300 posts, read 6,092,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmac9wr View Post
I get what you're saying, but those cities don't necessarily breathe college football as much as they do a specific team. Some of the aforementioned cities like Atlanta, Dallas and Washington DC have high populations of many different fanbases...so I think they are better when it comes to college football as a whole.
College Football fans are everywhere so of course every city is going to have some full bars on game day. But NONE of these cities scream "Best City for College Football". San Francisco being my favorite example of that, noone in their right mind would look at San Fran and think college football. It is however a C-D golden child and the OP apparently only seems to know about those cities.

Old 09-10-2014, 12:11 PM
JJG

13,612 posts, read 22,940,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjimmy24 View Post
It's ridiculous to view things by city proper, for stuff like this. It's just not the same thing. I figured everyone would already be on the same page here... You can live .3 miles from downtown Boston and not live in Boston. It would be really ludicrous to claim that doesn't count. Whereas you could live 15 miles from downtown Austin and still live in Austin. Arbitrary lines drawn long ago and maintained pointless politics dont tell you much.
Yeah, I get that, but when MOST people see the word "city", they're going to think Austin and only Austin.

NOT Austin and, Round Rock, San Marcos, Cedar Park, Georgetown, Pflugerville, Kyle, Leander, Bastrop, Buda, Hutto, Taylor, Wells Branch, Manor, Garfield, Granger, Onion Creek, Wood Creek.... you get the idea.

Old 09-10-2014, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJG View Post
Yeah, I get that, but when MOST people see the word "city", they're going to think Austin and only Austin.

NOT Austin and, Round Rock, San Marcos, Cedar Park, Georgetown, Pflugerville, Kyle, Leander, Bastrop, Buda, Hutto, Taylor, Wells Branch, Manor, Garfield, Granger, Onion Creek, Wood Creek.... you get the idea.
Down with suburbs being administratively autonomous from core cities!

Old 09-10-2014, 05:36 PM

1,830 posts, read 2,155,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
then what about a place like Happy Valley in the middle of no where and gets 110K every weekend
Yeah, I mean those are the places that have nothing going for them. Nothing but football to really look forward to, so of course they'll bring in the crowds.

Old 09-10-2014, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Illusive Man View Post
Yeah, I mean those are the places that have nothing going for them. Nothing but football to really look forward to, so of course they'll bring in the crowds.
Well you know nothing going for them, except for the world class universities with multi-billion dollar endowments, that bring higher incomes, education levels and qualities of life that rival cities of much bigger scales. But you're right if not for football they'd be dead.

Old 09-10-2014, 07:24 PM

1,830 posts, read 2,155,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjlo View Post
Well you know nothing going for them, except for the world class universities with multi-billion dollar endowments, that bring higher incomes, education levels and qualities of life that rival cities of much bigger scales. But you're right if not for football they'd be dead.
Agreed. Life would be hell on earth for them without their college football. What would they do with themselves?

Old 09-10-2014, 07:29 PM

4,918 posts, read 6,485,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
Except being in Bryant Denny Stadium in front of 100k fans playing the LSU or Auburn Tigers. Or sitting in the Swamp in Gainesville. Or sitting in front of 90k fans in the Cotton Bowl in Dallas for Texas/OU. Or...you get the gist of it. 60k only showing for UCLA games? In a stadium that supposedly seats 100k? That's actually pretty embarrassing. People are really overrating UCLA. Only USC is the top notch blueblood program. UCLA is ok just like Texas A&M is ok.
UCLA is more of basketball school historically they have the most NCAA basketball championships. The fact that UCLA is pretty good at both basketball and football is impressive. Most football schools like USC don't even try in basketball. Same with basketball schools are very seldom great at football. Ohio St, Michigan, Texas and Florida are pretty good at both basketball and football but they have the largest athletic budgets in the country.

Old 09-10-2014, 08:01 PM

22,378 posts, read 39,002,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Illusive Man View Post
well people come from all over - Philly, DC, NYC so not sure I buy that in total

more than half the stadium travels more than 2 hours, 20-25% more than 3 hours

State College is in the middle of no where, literally so ye the town is quintessential college town actually very pretty and surprisingly cosmopolitan for being in the middle of mountains and appalachia but yet they draw

322 (route from Philly and DC) is and coming off 80 (route from NYC/N Jersey) are crazy traffic think 405 when bad for games yet people still do it. many financial and professionals living in major urban areas

its different, no light to LA but they will continue to seel out no matter how many seats - a different environment and difficulty to a stadium does not warrant low attendance is my point

BTW even in LA PSU is somewhere around 5th to 10th in terms of college fans

based on this data it would be this order for LA - way on the other side of the country and USC and UCLA combined don't have the lead that a PSU would have here

http://commoncensus.org/sports_hotsp....y=217&sport=5

UCLA
USC
San Diego St
BYU
Cal
ND
MI
Penn State
Ohio State
Stanford
Fresno State
Texas (tie)
IL (tie)
Nebraska (tie)
Wisconsin (tie)
AZ

this is the order of top 1st ranked college football routing interests for the LA.OC/Riverside/SD area

now granted schools like PSU and Ohio state have huge alumni ranks all over the country - think they are 1 and 2 in terms of total alumni in the US today - both are also ranked in the top 50, sometimes top 30 today academically as well so no slouches there (ND and MI even higher on academics) PSU and OSU are usually like 30-40 and close PSU generally a little higher both have huge campuses OSU a little bigger today

Old 09-10-2014, 10:39 PM

16,508 posts, read 26,375,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmac9wr View Post
I guess you haven't spent much time in a real college town?
We follow every conference team and most regional teams down here in Baton Rouge whether it's Georgia, Bama, Tulane, or Western Kentucky.
No, they are not better as whole at all. If Houston is any example you have a handful of random fans and a couple rooty poo fans of their local college (University of Houston as an example).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City