Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Economist 'Most Liveable': Pittsburgh, Washington DC and Honolulu - which would you choose to live?
Pittsburgh, PA 47 38.84%
Washington, DC 53 43.80%
Honolulu, HI 33 27.27%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 121. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2011, 12:42 AM

16,259 posts, read 43,221,924 times

Advertisements

Recently, there was a recent Economist article about most liveable cities...they were Pittsburgh, Washington DC, and Honolulu...

Pittsburgh seemed to be #1, as the economy seemed to be better than other places, and a low cost of living.

Washington DC was up there, as a high cost of living, but also a healthy economy where the high cost-of-living was apparently being paid for.

Honolulu was up there, although I'm not entirely sure with a high cost of living and low salaries. But, perhaps because despite all of that, it had a lot of other things to offer beyond that. Not entirely sure.

Nontheless, with all things considered, jobs, economy, whatever factors....if you were pursuing your own 'most liveable' city...which of these three would you choose?

Here is the other thread (that didn't have a poll), which inspired this:
https://www.city-data.com/forum/city-...on-3-most.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2011, 09:04 AM

3,887 posts, read 5,526,303 times
Pittsburgh for sure. I have no desire to ever live in DC, and I don't even understand why Honolulu made the list. These "lists" should be taken with a massive grain of salt anyway.

Old 09-11-2011, 12:49 PM

27,599 posts, read 28,706,672 times
I would choose Washington, D.C. Pittsburgh is a nice Appalachian city. But D.C. is a lot larger, has many more amenities and is in a lot more happening region. And being the nation's capital kind of helps too.

As for Honolulu, it's great for a vacation. But living there? Nah, you'll get island fever and leave in less than a year.

Last edited by BigCityDreamer; 09-11-2011 at 01:21 PM..

Old 09-11-2011, 06:28 PM

4,100 posts, read 4,520,378 times
dc

Old 09-11-2011, 07:54 PM

i prefer the big city too...but i just don't get that vibe from DC. Not a big fan.

Old 09-11-2011, 08:01 PM

443 posts, read 601,210 times
DC just doesn't do it for me too. I would prefer a more laid back city. Not one filled with suits and ties, tools, beltways of traffic, a cost of living to the point where you can't afford anything, and more tools. THe museums and history are nice. But I'm not a fan of tools.

Just my opinion.

Old 09-11-2011, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingKrab View Post
DC just doesn't do it for me too. I would prefer a more laid back city. Not one filled with suits and ties, tools, beltways of traffic, a cost of living to the point where you can't afford anything, and more tools. THe museums and history are nice. But I'm not a fan of tools.

Just my opinion.
this is basically the vibe I get in DC too. I have nothing against the city, and I have visited friends there who live in cool neighborhoods that are fun to hang out in...but the overall vibe of the city just isn't for me. they do have some decent food though.

Old 09-12-2011, 09:20 AM

13,728 posts, read 15,780,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ForYourLungsOnly View Post
this is basically the vibe I get in DC too. I have nothing against the city, and I have visited friends there who live in cool neighborhoods that are fun to hang out in...but the overall vibe of the city just isn't for me. they do have some decent food though.
DC is definetly an aquired taste. If you are from Chicago, I can understand that you're probably used to a slower more laid back city. Many people like the fast pace in DC. Tons of people running on and off metro and wall to wall people walking on the streets. Some may feel people in DC need to slow down but that pace of life is apart of DC. Just make sure you don't stand on the left side of the escalator on Metro. That could get you pushed down by the rush of people. Now, if only we could get NYC to implement that unspoken rule. I thought I was going to go crazy waiting on people standing on the escalator in the NYC subway. In DC, people would have acted like a fool if people were just standing enjoying the view on the escalator relaxing with people behind them trying to get where they are going.

Last edited by MDAllstar; 09-12-2011 at 09:39 AM..

Old 09-12-2011, 09:28 AM

27,599 posts, read 28,706,672 times
I can see how some people may prefer Pittsburgh. It's quieter, has a nice downtown and is in a more picturesque setting. However, as a city, Pittsburgh doesn't compete with D.C. Pittsburgh competes with Baltimore and Cleveland.

Old 09-12-2011, 10:36 AM

5,546 posts, read 6,882,299 times
Pittsburgh is so underrated. It has everything you could ever need (museums, sports, dense downtown, transit, even inclines!). The COL is awesome, and it's in the mountains, so outdoor activities are abundant and very close. The natural setting is also unique.

Honolulu is the runner-up for me. If it wasn't so FARRRR away from everything else, it would probably surpass Pittsburgh. The COL is high and wages are pretty low in Honolulu, so that's another setback for me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City