Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2014, 09:27 PM

2,088 posts, read 1,970,935 times

Advertisements

I was on Wikipedia and saw the number of Pro-Sports teams by metro area, but couldn't find one by actual cities. I made the following list while football was on in the background, so there may be some errors or omissions. I included the 4 indisputable Major League Sports and also included Major League Soccer. If you don't like MLS, just subtract the teams from your list.

Almost all of the stadiums for these teams are in cities. The New England Patriots, New England Revolution, New York Red Bulls, New York Islanders, and Buffalo Bills play in Towns. The Chicago Fire play in a village. The New York Giants and New York Jets play in a borough. The Washington Redskins play in unincorporated Prince George's County.

The list as of Nov. 1st, 2014:

5 Team Cities
New York, NY (MLBx2, NBAx2, NHL) In 2015, will go to 7 with the Islanders moving to Brooklyn and a new MLS team in the Bronx.
Chicago, IL (NFL, MLBx2, NBA, NHL)

4 Team Cities
Denver (NFL, MLB, NBA, NHL)
Houston, TX (NFL, MLB, NBA, MLS)
Los Angeles (MLB, NBAx2, NHL)
Philadelphia, PA (NFL, MLB, NBA, NHL)
Toronto, ON (MLB, NBA, NHL, MLS)
Washington, DC (MLB, NBA, NHL, MLS)

3 Team Cities
Atlanta, GA (NFL, MLB, NBA)
Boston, MA (MLB, NBA, NHL)
Cleveland (NFL, MLB, NBA)
Detroit (NFL, MLB, NHL)
Minneapolis, MN (NFL, MLB, NBA)
Oakland, CA (NFL, MLB, NBA)
Pittsburgh, PA (NFL, MLB, NHL)
Saint Louis, MO (NFL, MLB, NHL)
Seattle, WA (NFL, MLB, MLS)

2 Team Cities
Anaheim, CA (MLB, NHL)
Arlington, TX (NFL, MLB)
Baltimore, MD (NFL, MLB)
Charlotte, NC (NFL, NBA)
Cincinnati (NFL, MLB)
Columbus, OH (NHL, MLS)
Dallas, TX (NBA, NHL)
East Rutherford, NJ (NFLx2)
Foxborough, MA (NFL, MLS)
Glendale, AZ (NFL, NHL)
Indianapolis, IN (NFL, NBA)
Kansas City, MO (NFL, MLB)
Miami, FL (MLB, NBA)
Milwaukee, WI (MLB, NBA)
Montreal, QC (NHL, MLS)
Nashville, TN (NFL, NHL)
New Orleans, LA (NFL, NBA)
Phoenix, AZ (MLB, NBA)
Portland, OR (NBA, MLS)
San Diego, CA (NFL, MLB)
Santa Clara, CA (NFL, MLS) 1 team when the Earthquakes move in 2015 to new stadium in San Jose.
Tampa, FL (NFL, NHL)
Vancouver, BC (NHL, MLS)

1 Team Cities
Auburn Hills, MI (NBA)
Bridgeview, IL (MLS)
Buffalo, NY (NHL)
Calgary, AB (NHL)
Carson, CA (MLS)
Chester, PA (MLS)
Commerce City, CO (MLS)
Edmonton, AB (NHL)
Frisco, TX (MLS)
Green Bay, WI (NFL)
Harrison, NJ (MLS)
Hempstead, NY (NHL) Will be 0 teams when the Islanders move to Brooklyn in 2015.
Jacksonville, FL (NFL)
Kansas City, KS (MLS)
Memphis, TN (NBA)
Miami Gardens, FL (NFL)
Newark, NJ (NHL)
Oklahoma City, OK (NBA)
Orchard Park, NY (NFL)
Orlando, FL (NBA) 2 teams when new MLS team begins play in 2015
Ottawa, ON (NHL)
Raleigh, NC (NHL)
Sacramento, CA (NBA)
Saint Paul, MN (NHL)
Saint Petersburg, FL (MLB)
Salt Lake City, UT (NBA)
San Antonio, TX (NBA)
San Francisco, CA (MLB)
San Jose, CA (NHL) 2 team when Earthquakes move to new stadium in 2015
Sandy, UT (MLS)
Sunrise, FL (NHL)
Unincorporated Prince George's County, MD (NFL)
Winnipeg, MB (NHL)

If you have any corrections or know of any teams moving or expansion teams, please post-
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2014, 09:39 PM

1,423 posts, read 1,625,671 times
Doesn't Chicago have an MLS team?

Old 11-15-2014, 09:40 PM

1,423 posts, read 1,625,671 times
Whoops never mind... They are in bridge view which you have listed.

Old 11-15-2014, 10:18 PM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
8,128 posts, read 7,552,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texamichiforniasota View Post
I was on Wikipedia and saw the number of Pro-Sports teams by metro area, but couldn't find one by actual cities. I made the following list while football was on in the background, so there may be some errors or omissions. I included the 4 indisputable Major League Sports and also included Major League Soccer. If you don't like MLS, just subtract the teams from your list.

Almost all of the stadiums for these teams are in cities. The New England Patriots, New England Revolution, New York Red Bulls, New York Islanders, and Buffalo Bills play in Towns. The Chicago Fire play in a village. The New York Giants and New York Jets play in a borough. The Washington Redskins play in unincorporated Prince George's County.

The list as of Nov. 1st, 2014:

5 Team Cities
New York, NY (MLBx2, NBAx2, NHL) In 2015, will go to 7 with the Islanders moving to Brooklyn and a new MLS team in the Bronx.
Chicago, IL (NFL, MLBx2, NBA, NHL)

4 Team Cities
Denver (NFL, MLB, NBA, NHL)
Houston, TX (NFL, MLB, NBA, MLS)
Los Angeles (MLB, NBAx2, NHL)
Philadelphia, PA (NFL, MLB, NBA, NHL)
Toronto, ON (MLB, NBA, NHL, MLS)
Washington, DC (MLB, NBA, NHL, MLS)
-
Even more impressive about DC, it's 68 sq mi with 4 teams currently located inside, plus Danny Boy seeks to bring the Redskins back to RFK site in 10 years.

Side note, I love how Philly put all of there's down on the south end of the city together, it doesn't disrupt any urbanity flow in other parts of the city. They have to be the only place in America with all 4 major sports in that close vicinity of each other.

Old 11-15-2014, 10:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the resident09 View Post
Even more impressive about DC, it's 68 sq mi with 4 teams currently located inside, plus Danny Boy seeks to bring the Redskins back to RFK site in 10 years.
Yeah, DC is impressive. It would be nice to have the Redskins playing in the district again.

On the underwhelming side, I was surprised about SF, because I consider it a decent sports town. Since the 49ers left for Santa Clara, they're down to only 1 team.

Old 11-16-2014, 01:58 AM

6,083 posts, read 10,695,817 times
Look at Denver up there with all those big cities

Old 11-16-2014, 02:38 AM

1,461 posts, read 2,108,592 times
Quote:
On the underwhelming side, I was surprised about SF, because I consider it a decent sports town. Since the 49ers left for Santa Clara, they're down to only 1 team.
SF and the Bay Area as a whole is a pretty great sports area and I find it somewhat embarrassing that the city is down to 1 team within city proper. Warriors are moving back to the city soon though, near the Giants, but still. Probably has a little to do with public vs private financing although Levi's Stadium in Santa Clara was largely 'privately' financed as well (as was AT&T ballpark and so will the Warriors new stadium). So I'm going with space and politics then.

Old 11-16-2014, 07:33 AM

22,378 posts, read 38,895,654 times
Why include MLS?

also if you do the MLS team for NYC plays one subway stop (probably less than one mile from the Newark arena)

I don't think MLS should be included though what about arena etc I say stick to the big 4 sports but that i just me

Old 11-16-2014, 10:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
Why include MLS?

also if you do the MLS team for NYC plays one subway stop (probably less than one mile from the Newark arena)

I don't think MLS should be included though what about arena etc I say stick to the big 4 sports but that i just me
The Red Bulls are listed under Harrison, NJ. I'm not a huge soccer fan, but I know a couple of guys who are. Surprisingly, MLS games have a higher avg attendance than NBA and NHL. I would guess the TV ratings are significantly lower though. Arena football and CFL aren't the highest level of football in the US and Canada, so I didn't include them.

Old 11-16-2014, 10:43 PM

3,530 posts, read 4,172,934 times
Quote:
The Red Bulls are listed under Harrison, NJ. I'm not a huge soccer fan, but I know a couple of guys who are. Surprisingly, MLS games have a higher avg attendance than NBA and NHL. I would guess the TV ratings are significantly lower though. Arena football and CFL aren't the highest level of football in the US and Canada, so I didn't include them.
New York City FC will soon be playing at Yankee Stadium. Based on your original post, though, you caught that, so nevermind. Still crazy to think 7 teams will play within city limits, all without the largest sport represented!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City