Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2014, 08:34 AM

5,464 posts, read 5,710,417 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by qworldorder View Post
New York City FC will soon be playing at Yankee Stadium. Based on your original post, though, you caught that, so nevermind. Still crazy to think 7 teams will play within city limits, all without the largest sport represented!
I don't think any local politicians or even the public want to bring the football teams inside city limits, although they can probably do it easily. All they'd have to do is say that you can't use the "New York" name if you don't play in the same state... how about them New Jersey Giants.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2014, 09:28 AM

5,717 posts, read 16,350,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
Why include MLS?

also if you do the MLS team for NYC plays one subway stop (probably less than one mile from the Newark arena)

I don't think MLS should be included though what about arena etc I say stick to the big 4 sports but that i just me
"Big Four" is an arbitrary cutoff these days, and is often truncated to "Big Three." The gap between NFL and NHL is enormous, and the gap between MLS and whatever's next is also quite significant. MLS clubs own stadia, practice facilities, run youth academies, reserve teams, etc. That's a decent distinct between them and whatever arena-renting leagues sit below in the hierarchy.

Old 11-18-2014, 09:33 AM

22,378 posts, read 38,925,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by krudmonk View Post
"Big Four" is an arbitrary cutoff these days, and is often truncated to "Big Three." The gap between NFL and NHL is enormous, and the gap between MLS and whatever's next is also quite significant. MLS clubs own stadia, practice facilities, run youth academies, reserve teams, etc. That's a decent distinct between them and whatever arena-renting leagues sit below in the hierarchy.
dunno I still see a big difference between NHL and MLS

and a lot may depend on the city Here the NHL likely trumps the NBA

Old 11-18-2014, 09:46 AM

10,275 posts, read 10,338,537 times
Quote:
Why include MLS?
MLS already has higher attendance and TV viewership than the NHL.

There's a big three, not a big four. NFL, NBA, and MLB are the big sports leagues in the U.S. NHL is regional (and has tiny television viewership) and MLS is still in its infancy.

Old 11-18-2014, 09:48 AM

Quote:

and a lot may depend on the city Here the NHL likely trumps the NBA
LOL, no. You're in Philly, I assume. I bet you NHL viewership in SE PA isn't even half that of NBA viewership. It might not even be a quarter.

NHL interest is VERY niche. Even Mexican soccer matches have higher TV viewership than NHL games. Even the Stanley Cup finals have low viewership.

Old 11-18-2014, 09:48 AM

not so sure

MLS is making progress in climb toward the big time | Sounders | The Seattle Times

Old 11-18-2014, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gantz View Post
All they'd have to do is say that you can't use the "New York" name if you don't play in the same state... how about them New Jersey Giants.
Why would the state name matter? The New York Jets/Giants don't use a state name. They're obviously referring to NYC, not NYS. Very few teams use state names.

Old 11-18-2014, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA101 View Post
LOL, no. You're in Philly, I assume. I bet you NHL viewership in SE PA isn't even half that of NBA viewership. It might not even be a quarter.

NHL interest is VERY niche. Even Mexican soccer matches have higher TV viewership than NHL games. Even the Stanley Cup finals have low viewership.
the flyers continually have higher viewership in SE PA - also a higher local TV contract value

Old 11-18-2014, 10:26 AM

8,632 posts, read 13,000,665 times
Quote:
the flyers continually have higher viewership in SE PA - also a higher local TV contract value
At this point it wouldn't surprise me if the Union(MLS) had higher viewership in the Philly area than the 76ers(NBA).

Old 11-18-2014, 11:07 AM

11,108 posts, read 23,888,805 times
It depends on the markets. If you are in an MLS market, you would see that the MLS is very much a major league sport in "most" of those markets but people in non MLS markets don't see this.

And NHL is terrible on tv. Just because the NHL has bad TV ratings doesn't mean people don't follow it. I personally love the NHL and go to games all the time, but I can't stand watching it on TV.

I would say that the US has five major league sports leagues now and in some parts of the country, you could even consider Lacrosse as another major league.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City