Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What city can support it?
Montreal 16 20.25%
Portland 22 27.85%
San Antonio 12 15.19%
Charlotte 28 35.44%
Albuquerque 1 1.27%
Salt Lake City 3 3.80%
Las Vegas 10 12.66%
(Other) Write in comments 8 10.13%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 79. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2014, 01:00 PM

49 posts, read 64,400 times

Advertisements

Here in Tampa, the news was running wild a few weeks ago about how the Rays were about to pack up and head out (Can't say I blame them). I started thinking what would be the next MLB city? Will it be past glory Expos or a new city? Thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2014, 01:03 PM

10,745 posts, read 23,801,634 times
Maybe Charlotte or Portland. I think many cities have a bigger appetite for getting an NFL team rather than MLB though.

Montreal didn't work out for the Expos, I can't see them returning there as they still have that crappy stadium from the 70's. I don't see them investing in a new ballpark.

Last edited by Champ le monstre du lac; 11-16-2014 at 01:12 PM..

Old 11-16-2014, 01:05 PM

1,709 posts, read 2,165,926 times
I would imagine Birmingham, Columbus, Memphis, San Antonio, or Indianapolis being the strongest candidates.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert_SW_77 View Post
Maybe Portland. I think many cities have a bigger appetite for getting an NFL team rather than MLB though.
Portland's a good one too. And as for the NFL over MLB thing, I don't quite understand that-it costs more to build an NFL stadium, which unless it's multi-purpose is used far less often than an MLB stadium, thus bringing in less revenue for the host city and surrounding businesses. For long-term benefits, MLB is far better for a city's economy.

Old 11-16-2014, 01:07 PM

49 posts, read 64,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert_SW_77 View Post
Maybe Charlotte or Portland. I think many cities have a bigger appetite for getting an NFL team rather than MLB though.
Same here, I did read somewhere about Portland wanting MLB there, but it was several years old, no clue if its still an option.

Old 11-16-2014, 01:15 PM

12,883 posts, read 13,977,958 times
I think Las Vegas should have a team. That would be cool.

Last edited by JMT; 11-16-2014 at 04:53 PM.. Reason: You're right, that's off topic.

Old 11-16-2014, 09:17 PM
JJG

13,612 posts, read 22,893,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
I think Las Vegas should have a team. That would be cool.
More a terrible idea than cool.

Old 11-16-2014, 10:10 PM

8,632 posts, read 12,992,041 times
I wouldn't mind seeing Portland get an MLB franchise. If the city continues to grow than maybe we will see one in the future. It will certianly a great rivalry between the Seattle Mariners.

A side note, I would love to see Philly get a 2nd MLB team again. Of course the city's population was over 2 million at that time but now the Philly sports market is reaching 8 million people, which is much larger than it was back in 1950 when the Athletics still played in Philly.

Old 11-16-2014, 10:32 PM

1,478 posts, read 2,412,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OuttaTheLouBurbs View Post
I would imagine Birmingham, Columbus, Memphis, San Antonio, or Indianapolis being the strongest candidates.

Portland's a good one too. And as for the NFL over MLB thing, I don't quite understand that-it costs more to build an NFL stadium, which unless it's multi-purpose is used far less often than an MLB stadium, thus bringing in less revenue for the host city and surrounding businesses. For long-term benefits, MLB is far better for a city's economy.
MLB is definitely better for a city's economy than the NFL...or at least less detrimental. There are major problems with MLB from an owner's perspective though, which is really what matters:

-the playing field is less level. Big market teams tend to dominate. This year is somewhat different. More of the exception to the rule. The Cards also have a great formula, but they might have the greatest brand value in MLB within their market (not nationally). They can afford to be patient because they have the undying loyalty of a big local fan base.

-MLB sucks up a lot of entertainment dollars, so clubs are really dependent upon market size too. 81 home games consume about 2x the entertainment expenditures of NFL, NHL, or NBA.

If you're an investor looking to move a sports franchise, you'll get your stadium for free (or very close to it) in any sport. An investor wanting to make money (or control losses) will just need to keep costs under control while remaining competitive. That's a lot easier to do in a salary cap league.

IMO, this is why you see NBA/NHL/NFL expansion and relo a lot more. Smaller markets are more "in play", so owners have leverage to get good stadium deals and more markets to turn to.

Indy is a good example: very much into basketball and football and the owners got what they wanted in their venues to retain them. Indy isn't a baseball town and talk of MLB ever coming to the area is pretty much non-existent. Hasn't been in play since about 1984, when people realized the old Dome wasn't configured to accommodate MLB. Tweener cities like Indy with other sports aren't going to bite. Not with 2 teams already in place.

The last few moves/expansions are really, really close to no-brainers: DC (huge market), Miami and Phoenix (ditto), Denver (pretty small for 3-4 sports, but growing quick and will grow into them). Tampa was the only iffy one. Good sized market, but slow growing. Older demographic, which favors baseball. It's kind of on the bubble in terms of size and already having 2 franchises. The only cities that might make sense to me:

Portland: if they can get a stadium deal and left-leaning metros don't favor these types of deals
San Antonio or Austin: both growing a lot, especially Austin. TX loves baseball too and unlike football, the Rangers and Astros don't have the same regional grip like the Cowboys do.
Charlotte: growing a ton. Similar model to the "grow into it" philosophy of Denver.
Sacramento: if the Kings ever leave especially. CA not a stadium-friendly state though.
Vegas: if an indoor facility can be built.
Orlando: if the Rays want a close move.
Non-traditional outsiders: Mexico City, Monterrey, or San Juan

IMO out:
-saturated market for size/too small: Indy, Nashville, Birmingham, Buffalo/Rochester, Raleigh-Durham, OKC, Memphis, Louisville
-close fit from a size standpoint but too much loyalty to nearby teams: Columbus

Old 11-16-2014, 10:40 PM

3,530 posts, read 4,172,482 times
Las Vegas would be the black horse pic, but it would be exciting, and makes sense economically (huge tourist base to draw from for games). Not sure the heat would necessitate an indoor stadium, though. I believe basketball has a better shot at this point, however, given the developmental league, All Star Game, and especially given Adam Silver's recent comments.

Portland is also a great pic. Rivalry with the Mariners would be a given, and Portland has the size/geographic isolation for a second team. The stadium would need a retractable roof, though.

Old 11-17-2014, 07:01 AM

20,514 posts, read 33,516,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OuttaTheLouBurbs View Post

Neither of these cities will get an MLB team.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball