Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2014, 10:13 AM

93,266 posts, read 123,898,066 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
Well, if idiotic trap music with boys sounding like teenage girls and wearing tight jeans is the future, then count me out. I'll stick with the good stuff.

Back in the day when cats actually use to nod their heads to the music...lol.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pqbpZvtIQZ0
I'm going to kind of tell on myself, right now, because I can remember this:
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=h1vKOchATXs
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2014, 10:15 AM

32,097 posts, read 34,702,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
I'm going to kind of tell on myself, right now, because I can remember this
Haha. Anything is better than most of the stuff that's out now. Too bad these kids will never truly understand how dope Lauryn was. How many people can transition out of singing into a completely sick flow?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yLQWFHBQSn4

Old 12-05-2014, 10:31 AM

Scarface interview.

Quote:
The Rap **** [is] sounding stupider and stupider, and Country music is sounding more brilliant,” Scarface says in an interview with xxlmag.com. “Rock music is sounding more brilliant and Alternative music is sounding way more brilliant. **** sound good as ****. Everybody [in Hip Hop] wants to turn up now, even in R&B. Who stole the soul? The soul is gone. Twenty-five years ago it was called soul. Thirty years ago it was called soul. Then they turned it into rhythm and blues, R&B. What is it now? Is R&B gone, too?”
Scarface Says Rap Is "Sounding Stupider And Stupider" | Get The Latest Hip Hop News, Rap News & Hip Hop Album Sales | HipHopDX-

Old 12-05-2014, 11:57 AM

93,266 posts, read 123,898,066 times
I think the Soul has just gone underground, just like what a lot if Hip-Hop has done.

Old 12-05-2014, 02:01 PM

13,727 posts, read 15,751,203 times
Quote:
Well, if idiotic trap music with boys sounding like teenage girls and wearing tight jeans is the future, then count me out. I'll stick with the good stuff.

Back in the day when cats actually use to nod their heads to the music...lol.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pqbpZvtIQZ0

Look, I love music from the 1990's too, however, I know things change and people get old. My mother and grandmother said the exact things you're saying about us back in the 1990's. They didn't understand anything we were doing or the music we were listening too. They called it noise. Now, people who grew up in the 1990's are calling music in the 2010's noise. The cycle continues. It's just a sign of getting old I think. People growing up now will say the same thing to people in the 2030's. Watch......

Old 12-05-2014, 02:20 PM

3,671 posts, read 5,886,018 times
Everyone is talking about hip hop dying while R&B really seems to be on it's death bed and no one even seems to notice. When the same artist who made classic R&B hits start making songs that sound like some Justin Beiber pop crap, something is very, very wrong.

When was the last time any of you heard a new long like this that actually made it to MAINSTREAM radio.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=995X8aJDmJ4

Better yet, how many songs a year makes it on mainstream rap/R&B stations without ANY rap in it? Whenever it does happen, it's usually from R&B artist that has broken though mainstream way back in the early- mid 2000's.

Up here in the D, you might get lucky and get some radio play if your a local R&B artist, other than that, you are more likely to get radio play on the R&B/ old school stations that barely play any rap than on the rap stations that cater to the under 30 crowd.

I saw a TV show a few months back stating how basically, if your song can bump in a ATL strip club, it will make it on the radio. And that's the easiest way to get your song on the radio as well. That's all I needed to hear to realize where we went wrong. Don't get me wrong, I'm young and I like "turn up" music but I also like variety. Hopefully different types of music will be in high demand within the next couple of years so all sorts of artist can get a chance to shine, but I've been hoping that for the past few years now.

Old 12-05-2014, 02:32 PM

8,485 posts, read 14,994,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post
As generation Y and X take control of the nation and technology and fashion change, everything that you grew up with is going to become ancient history. We are headed to the 2020's soon. Think about the changes from the year 1898 to the 1920's.
Can't speak for the other cities, but you can definitely hear that on the air in ATL (but not the big stations of course though). Jamal Ahmad's show on WCLK makes sure to show case those artists along with a soul/house/jazz/funk playlist...during the afternoon rush no less. On the weekend, he always brings out the really obscure/japanese maxi single stuff. 88.5 also has three dedicated soul/jazz shows 3 nights a week.

Quote:
It's difficult to find that in Philly too. There was Leroy's on Baltimore Ave, but it "burned down."

Ratchets dominate the scene in nearly all of these cities. I'm not as familiar with Houston or Chicago, but if ratchets run DC, then I'm guessing they run the scene in those cities too. DC actually has an abundance of sophistiratchets.
SOPHISTIRATCHET!!! HAHAHAHAHAHA!

I know the type. They grew up in Podunk, Mississippi but got a degree from Grambling or some other low tier HBCU. They have a good job, but their idea of sophisticated is a going to a club on Sunday night that has a seafood buffet and a radio broadcast playing "grown and sexy" tracks. Oh, and they use the term "grown and sexy" in a serious manner.

Old 12-05-2014, 02:37 PM

4,918 posts, read 6,467,718 times
Who cares nightlife sucks. Only good cities with nightlife in the US are Miami Beach, Vegas and Atlanta and it gets old.

Old 12-05-2014, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MS313 View Post
Everyone is talking about hip hop dying while R&B really seems to be on it's death bed and no one even seems to notice.
People have noticed. Cats don't bring it like this anymore.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vQpEQln2-s8

Old 12-05-2014, 02:48 PM

4,918 posts, read 6,467,718 times
Quote:
People have noticed. Cats don't bring it like this anymore.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vQpEQln2-s8
Hip Hop died for me after 2000.. I miss the 90s.. rapper and artists suck today. FAKE ass rappers especially Drake and Lil Wayne.. get the f. out of here with that garbage started from the bottom dude.. your from a rich suburb of Toronto.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City