Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which feels like the larger MSA- Greater Atlanta or Greater Philadelphia?
Atlanta MSA 93 37.96%
Philly MSA 152 62.04%
Voters: 245. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2018, 08:32 AM

7,270 posts, read 10,591,685 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisposedData View Post
Every single reputable global power city ranking out there has Atlanta ranked above Philadelphia in terms of being a more influential city.

Philly actually punched below its weight because it is the weakest of the four powerhouses in the Bos-Wash corridor.
You're conflating influence with connections.

The reports you're referencing (A.T. Kearny, GaWC, et al) aren't measuring a city's influence. They're measuring connections and business-related activity.

From GaWC:

Quote:
The world according to GaWC is a city-centred world of flows in contrast to the more familiar state-centred world of boundaries.

Cities are assessed in terms of their advanced producer services using the interlocking network model (see GaWC Research Bulletin 23). Indirect measures of flows are derived to compute a city's network connectivity – this measures a city's integration into the world city network."
GaWC - The World According to GaWC

From A.T. Kearny:

Quote:
The Global Cities Index examines the current performance of cities based on 27 metrics spanning five critical dimensions: business activity, human capital, information exchange, cultural experience, and political engagement. It provides insights into the current global reach, performance, and level of development of the world's largest cities. It also allows for the comparison of diverse cities and for the identification of core strengths and distinctive differences.
https://www.prnewswire.com/news-rele...300655042.html

So yes, if we're referring to connections forged across the globe (due in no small part to the impressive Hartsfield-Jackson Int'l Airport), then objectively Atlanta has the edge over Philly. But that's not the same as projecting influence.

Old 07-09-2018, 09:23 AM

37,881 posts, read 41,926,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post
And Atlanta is in Georgia....... Need I say more......
And nobody in Atlanta/Georgia was throwing around terms like "hillbilly hollers" and "peanut farms" but I suppose you missed that.

Old 07-09-2018, 10:57 AM

9,379 posts, read 9,329,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
And nobody in Atlanta/Georgia was throwing around terms like "hillbilly hollers" and "peanut farms" but I suppose you missed that.
I am in PA/NY and I didn't use any such terms. I have been keeping the thread on topic.

Old 07-09-2018, 12:38 PM

Quote:
That is more how I look at influence, which metro is more vital to the well-being of the economy, region/ what is contributes. Both metros are powerful, btw, so this isn't a slight to either one.
This sounds as though you're making an argument for Atlanta here as it is easily the top dog of its region

Quote:
I am in PA/NY and I didn't use any such terms. I have been keeping the thread on topic.
Did you take the time to read the post I was responding to?

Old 07-09-2018, 01:11 PM

9,379 posts, read 9,329,574 times
Quote:
This sounds as though you're making an argument for Atlanta here as it is easily the top dog of its region

Did you take the time to read the post I was responding to?
I don't see how Atlanta is more vital/ influential to the well being of the economy.
I stand by what I said, if you are comparing the metros geographically, Atlanta naturally has a further reach. As far as influence and power, I vote safely Philadelphia.

The only argument I keep seeing is how Atlanta has more TV shows, which is fluff to me.

If you disagree, fine, leave it at that. I'll respond to others.

Yes I did.... my goodness I don't need to respond to every single post I read on here.

Old 07-09-2018, 01:20 PM

7,528 posts, read 10,254,742 times
Quote:
That was me. And I apologized. Unlike others.

Just in case you missed that.

Old 07-09-2018, 01:41 PM

10,106 posts, read 9,961,782 times
Quote:
I don't see how Atlanta is more vital/ influential to the well being of the economy.
I stand by what I said, if you are comparing the metros geographically, Atlanta naturally has a further reach. As far as influence and power, I vote safely Philadelphia.

The only argument I keep seeing is how Atlanta has more TV shows, which is fluff to me.

If you disagree, fine, leave it at that. I'll respond to others.

Yes I did.... my goodness I don't need to respond to every single post I read on here.
So you use GDP? Who, outside of us city geeks, knows or cares about GDP? Who's really gonna say "Philly feels bigger because it has a higher GDP than Atlanta."

Old 07-09-2018, 01:46 PM

2,426 posts, read 2,475,555 times
Been saw this and I was trying not to comment on this but I had too... It's Philly hands down!! Philly is a million City in a Three State Metro PA/DE/NJ in the northeast with Two nice size Urban dense Satellite cities in it's mist. If you want to add some sprawl in there sense that's what Atlanta does best lets add Kent County Delaware which sprawls Philly on down to Dover which is a part of the CSA! I'm sorry I just couldn't hold my peace any more and no disrespect to Atlanta but it's time to stop the nonsense. Atlanta is a Southern city straight up that sprawls from here, there and to the Boonies and back,, it is what it is. True it gets a lot of media attention especially with us blacks but it's still a southern city in a southern state and it its what it is. I will admit it is progressive to a certain extent but I just can't compare a Philly to an Atlanta, just doesn't work for me but that's my opinion which I know it's not an opinion really. Even if Atlanta metro out grew Philly metro tomorrow in population, I still know the truth and where this population is obsorbed and every one else knows it too. Just look at the Infrastructure, compare Septa to Marta,,, no comparison. Then theirs NJ Transit that runs rail across the bridge into Philly, not to mention the light rail and Septa runs a commuter rail line over into Delaware, then there's Dart. Philly hands down just feel like a bigger city, Atlanta truly just feels like sprawl to me outside of DT, Philly metro as a whole feels like a bigger metro... Wilmington/ Chester/ Camden / Pennsauken /Cherry Hill etc... I don't think a lot of people on here could have stepped foot in Philly.. As far as Hillbilly comments,,, this is Georgia and we all know how far Atlanta sprawls and this is still Georgia. I would be the first to admit us as Atliens seem to have an issue with being southern and I think Atlanta wants to be on that huge city level so bad and to fit in on that huge city level we jump the gun a little bit. I will admit the city has some big city amenities,,, Airport and Marta IMO is what has given it its biggest boost I feel. Marta has is the back bone and I some times feel if the city didn't have it, it wouldn't have reached over 5,000,000 metro population today, I just don't see it. I admit marta is the reason why 3 of my Children are here today adding to that, lol... I remember back in the early 90's when in Atlanta early growth days and having family even moving to DeKalb County from the Bronx. They said the only thing that made them move here is or attracted them to Atlanta was it having a Train. It was a Country city with a subway and they liked that!! I used to like when southern rappers embraced the fact Atlanta was southern and country, the Hillbilly/Dukes of Hazzard mix and Black Country all of that mixed right on in with the city but I don't know todays Atlanta.. Seems we like to pretend we are something we are not and it's not pretty. Its ok to progress but know where we come from and what we truly are is all I'm saying,, stop denying

Last edited by oobanks; 07-09-2018 at 02:55 PM..

Old 07-09-2018, 01:49 PM

Quote:
While your statement "That is more how I look at influence, which metro is more vital to the well-being of the economy, region/ what is contributes" wasn't entirely clear, I read it as you looking at the role each metro plays within its region and how it contributes to its region. That's why I said it sounded as though you were arguing in favor of Atlanta.

Quote:
Then your comment was unnecessary and you were being snarky just for the hell of it. At least own it.

Old 07-09-2018, 01:55 PM

10,106 posts, read 9,961,782 times
Quote:
This is where the thread went downhill. Talking strictly about GEOGRAPHIC area, yet Atlanta has more influence because there is no other dominant city nearby. Philadelphia is in the Bos-Wash corridor, several large powerful cities (Philadelphia included).

Now talking about which metro area is more influential... I guess people translate that term differently, but I would say the Philadelphia area due to its economic power and history as an economic powerhouse.

Atlanta gets more cable TV buzz as some of you discussed, but that does not equate to being influential/ important. Chicago falls under the radar in the media market, and that is one of the most powerful metro areas in North America. I think the Philadelphia metro falls into that category as well.

Just look at basic stats of each county within the metro area. The counties in Southeastern PA are consistently ranked very high in almost every metric, the same cannot be said for most counties in the Atlanta metro.

That is more how I look at influence, which metro is more vital to the well-being of the economy, region/ what is contributes. Both metros are powerful, btw, so this isn't a slight to either one.

And Atlanta is in Georgia....... Need I say more......

See above post. Feeling bigger does equate to influence. I think those who have an education/ are well traveled would agree.
So we're in agreement going by your last sentence.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City